Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys is there anyone running this combo that could tell me when your turbo comes on boost. Im running a ls1 panel filter, 4 inch snorkel and 3 in mandrel bent exhaust and it seems to be a bit laggy.

·
Registered
nissan GU iv 2006
1,717 Posts
Hi guys is there anyone running this combo that could tell me when your turbo comes on boost. Im running a ls1 panel filter, 4 inch snorkel and 3 in mandrel bent exhaust and it seems to be a bit laggy.
I think simcoe runs that combo??

·
Registered
nissan
68 Posts
i was running a dc3 and an mtq kit turbo and i had full boost-- 24 psi by 2200.. so it should be better than that. 4 inch snorkel ls1 panel filter box, 4 inch to the turbo.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Here I go,
Yes I have that combo and all the go fast supporting mods.
199rwhp,
Boost starts at 1000, 1-2 psi
Under sustained load I have 15psi at 1500 and 20 ish by 1700 and 24 by 1900. The beach is a great test, load it up and listen to that sweet sweet boost happening nice and low!!
Blasting through the gears it's about 10psi at 1500 and 24 at 2100 as it's not working as hard and it's wroking through the rpm quicker then what I can read.
Untuned set up, with 33's 3.9 diffs and about 3.3 tonne worth of truck returning 13.5-15.5l/100
I recently increased the off boost fuel 1 turn and it has changed drive ability quite nicely in lower boost cruising!! Only a small puff of the good stuff when applying heavier pedal.

Reactions: DieselTuner

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
If there is anyone is Newy or near by that wants a pants feel of the big girl, I am open to members of the forum. I have some good test hills all within 5 mins, 6 pack per hot lap.(you drive, me passenger)

Will give you an idea on the power possible from the 'entry' set up!

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
dunno, a dude on here had his truck tuned by matt and it was set at 24psi.
may have been playing it safe back when they were first developed?
obviously matt would have the data, may depend on supporting mods?!

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
And or do they act as a heat pump like the ht18 after said boost efficiency limit has been reached?!

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
The biggest boost limit is the intake system. If its is restrictive it can suck silicone bends in, choking the engine of air.

Other than that the turbo is designed to run at a particular shaft speed. To make more boost the shaft speed has to increase.

Obviously if you design an entire turbo to be very efficient at 180K rpm giving 45psi of boost on a particular engine, its not going to operate optimally at 120K rpm and 25psi.

Im sure the UFI turbo is designed to cater for the vast majority of people that are aiming towards that 16-30psi range, and it is up to the user to choose speak to Matt and determine which one is going to work for your setup.

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
What is a safe boost limit for a TD42 for longevity etc and breaking ****

·
Registered
nissan
94 Posts
Hey DT, what did you mean by flow block? You mean the airflow restrictions going into and through the cylinder head through friction loss etc are at a maximum and thus too inefficient?

Cheers,
Luke

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
Sydo, it may be the case but I have never seen any type of failure directly related to boost personally, and I know of alot of TD42's running above 40psi for many years now.
Melted/cracked pistons from excessive cylinder temp is pretty much the only failure I have seen.

GU42T, to start with the intake manifold is the biggest problem. If you take this out of the picture by using a plenum with no runners then the head design is the next to choke the flow.
I have not tested it to this point but in passing info on from someone that has, at about 45-48psi or around that point it does not matter how much more boost you jam into the inlet valves the flow into the head has become stagnant.
Even doing oversized valves did not solve the problem for the person that did the testing.

In a perfect world with pretty rich afr's it equates to around 370hp at the wheels, thats all the engine can ever hope to deliver without nos.

GeoffA
It is not hot compressor air that causes problems for diesel engines really.
It is the restriction of the exhaust wheel and housing that causes massive backpressure on the engine which drastically increases cylinder temperatures.
The poor little turbo also exceeds its maximum rated speed which destroy's the bearings, that causes wheel damage slowing the turbo spool up rate down drastically in the start and ends up in a completely dead turbo in the not to distant future.

UFI build their turbo's to a higher standard, and far more suitable to most people's needs than the HT18.

·
Registered
nissan
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Here I go,
Yes I have that combo and all the go fast supporting mods.
199rwhp,
Boost starts at 1000, 1-2 psi
Under sustained load I have 15psi at 1500 and 20 ish by 1700 and 24 by 1900. The beach is a great test, load it up and listen to that sweet sweet boost happening nice and low!!
Blasting through the gears it's about 10psi at 1500 and 24 at 2100 as it's not working as hard and it's wroking through the rpm quicker then what I can read.
Untuned set up, with 33's 3.9 diffs and about 3.3 tonne worth of truck returning 13.5-15.5l/100
I recently increased the off boost fuel 1 turn and it has changed drive ability quite nicely in lower boost cruising!! Only a small puff of the good stuff when applying heavier pedal.
Thanks mate appreciate the reply, somethings up with mine starts making boost at 1500-1600 rpm, mine is untuned as well. I set the pump timing to 0.7mm as instructed with a dial guage but havent adjusted anything else. Has all the supporting mods 4 inch snorkel, cross country intercooler etc Thought it would still be decent without a proper tune as there is nobody up here in the Pilbara that I would trust to tune a compensated pump. Obviously not... unless there is something else wrong. But engine runs perfect and cant think of anything else.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts