Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bit of R&D Hope Matt doesn't mind. As some of you know i have fitted a UFI Fan hub assembly and have had a few dramas. First time i went out with the new fan it clipped top of radiator and gouged a groove through it and leaked. I presumed it was from going through water holes. I had a 50mm wide radiator Alloy.

·
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So i ordered a new 46mm Rapid Cool and had it fitted up. Went for a test drive and it came back with same problem leaking. Fan hit top of radiator again. I thought WTF. We had 40mm clearance from fan to radiator which we think is plenty. Have since taken the UFI Fan hub off and replaced it with factory set up

·
Registered
nissan
499 Posts
Whats the reasoning behind changing the fan ?

Maybe its because i am in Canada, but i have never needed more fan.

·
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have been sending Matt a few PM's about trying to nail the cause and i have been racking my brain what is left of it. Obviously the fan was flexing that much it got caught between the shroud and radiator which was causing the damage. Following pic is my factory fan but you can clearly see where the UFI fan was hitting the shroud.

Attachments

·
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So where you can see those marks is probably at normal speed ? I suppose the more you put your boot into it the more it flexes and gets caught between shroud and radiator which was causing the damage. I just went down and measured distance from radiator to fan side of shroud = 20mm so if i have 40mm from fan to radiator it is quite easy to flex and get jammed with the spare 20mm.

·
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know Matt hasn't had this problem. He has the 46mm Rapid Cool as well but his is the late model taller radiator which could have a different shroud. Mine is the earlier wide version which is the problem i believe. So if anyone is contemplating the UFI Fan hub assembly with a heavy duty early model wide radiator just be aware this could happen. I know Alex is testing one this weekend but am unsure which radiator he is running. Nothing worst than being out bush with a radiator problem

·
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whats the reasoning behind changing the fan ?

Maybe its because i am in Canada, but i have never needed more fan.
Hi Mate. When i was getting my head done the mechanic said my fan hub was rooted so i knew a UFI one was available which has a bigger hub and fan to make them run cooler so i opted for it instead of buying a Genuine Nissan hub @ $400. Just didn't work in my favour unfortunately :rolleyes:

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,758 Posts
Sydo have I understood this correctly? Are you saying it only has to flex 20mm, then it can get caught behind the shroud which pulls it a further 20mm and causes it to hit the radiator?

·
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lee i am pretty sure it was 20mm from fan tips to where you can see it was hitting shroud. Could have been closer unsure as the fan is off now. So if it starts flexing more with hard driving it won't take much more to get jammed between shroud and radiator hey. The shroud where you can see the marks is another 20mm to radiator. Fan just gets jammed between plastic and radiator. Make sense ?

·
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haven't checked them mate. Will do Monday. If they are stuffed how much movement would there be ?

·
Registered
nissan
798 Posts
I wouldnt imagine there would be enough to cause the issue your having. Just something to check as the radiator is mounted to the body not the chassis.

I would have thought if it was moving enough to cause your issue you would be able to feel some kind of movement.

Are the rubbers the radiator sits in in good condition?

·
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sydo have I understood this correctly? Are you saying it only has to flex 20mm, then it can get caught behind the shroud which pulls it a further 20mm and causes it to hit the radiator?
Where you see the marks the plastic mould is solid to the radiator with a slight gap so when it starts flexing i presume it starts hitting underneath the shroud on driver side and drags blades forward more ?

·
Doing It My Way
nissan
1,776 Posts
Hey Dave, i was just talking to some of the Troll boys at work about my blown engine mount, and one of them mentioned if you're gearbox mount is buggered you'll get a heap of movement. Then I thought of your issue. Worth crawling under and checking it out?

·
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will but i can't see how it could move at all with Superior Engineering engine mounts

·
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guarantee it's the shroud. This is a shroud for the taller radiator which Matt has with no problems. Looks like it hasn't got the solid plastic like mine where fan hits. Just looks like a thin bit of plastic which would be closer to the radiator hence more free room for the blades.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,028 Posts
if you want a fan to use for lots of water crossings then get a second hand mercedes 450 SEL off the 4.5L V8

all aluminium. same positive camber as a patrol, 18.5 inches (similar to a patrol) and won't flex when immersed. - its cheaper than a unimog and the right dimensions

Product Ceiling Mechanical fan Silver Blade

·
Registered
nissan patrol
71 Posts
Can you cut out the shroud just bigger than the fan, so it carnt catch on shroud forcing it into the radiator ? I will have to have a look at mine tomorow.

1 - 20 of 226 Posts