Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
181 - 200 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
12 Posts
Thank you United Fuel injection, fitted my fan kit on my GQ TD42, easy job and has resulted in keeping the temp down exactly as I had hoped.
Temps would get to the mid to high 90 when pushed with the camper on the back, now cant get it above 86 when pushed hard and sits on 80 cruising along at 100 km/hr.

Finally happy with engine temps!!!!

Cheers Mike

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
OK so I have fitted my new ufi hub and fan. Its definitely better than the knackered fan and hub that came out. I took it for a run today with the camper hooked up mid 20s no aircon it still got to 105 degrees on a long uphill section, 20psi egt peaked at 475 post turbo. I'm not hearing the fan engage as the temp climbs. Coasting down the other side the temp falls quickly. I ran that hill twice once in 5th and once in 4th results were fairly similar in regard to water temp and whilst the fan was louder I think it was due to increased angine speed rather thab the hub locking up further. Has any one with a ufi fan hub combo experienced a similar issue ?

·
Registered
nissan
188 Posts
You could have a blocked radiator in the middle, if that area doesn't heat up enough the fan hub won't get hot air to activate the spring and won't come on properly.

·
Elmo
Nissan
4,899 Posts
I rang up about 5 weeks ago as I'm sure you can see in my previous comments when they were $510. to buy one, gotta wait a few weeks before they come back in stock, left my details to get a call back.

Never got one, nek minute. Price has gone up to $595 or $610 :(

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
You could have a blocked radiator in the middle, if that area doesn't heat up enough the fan hub won't get hot air to activate the spring and won't come on properly.
Ok you got me thinking, Ive just had a closer look at the radiator, intercooler and ac condensor. The ic and radiator look clear as, but the ac core looks dodgy and just thinking about it, I have done a couple of desert trips before I fitted the ic and some of it was through high grass. I'll withhold my judgement untill I pull it apart and investigate further.

Thanks.

·
Registered
nissan
188 Posts
Yeh I had the same issue a few years ago, everything looked reasonable and my radiator was only 12 months old at the time, but there must be a bit of gunk in the water galleries on these things and it was blocked in the middle.

Last weekend I pulled my 3 core radiator out to put my new hub and fan in and my engine is brand new, well 9 months old now really, new as in crate motor, and when I backflushed the radiator the amount of crap in it was amazing, I must have filled it and flushed it 20 times before crap stopped coming out, I was really amazed !

It doesn't take much though to stop that heat coming through to the spring, and if it's not getting enough heat then it won't activate the fan properly.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,748 Posts
My first one was RS (it happens) and they gave me a new one that was perfect. So that is a possibility.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Pulled the ic and radiator out and gave the ac condensor a good blast with the gerni , there was a bit of crap in there. Its now raining and 18 degrees so will have to wait a bit till it warms up again before I can give it a proper trial. I did take just the car for a quick test in cooler conditions and held it almost flat in 5th up my test hill and it only got to about 83 ish degrees, the fan did sound a bit louder. I'm hoping I found the problem with the ac condensor . On a positive note the egts have come down a little as well. At a guess I have found the problem, but I need a hot day to prove it.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu11
125 Posts
Make sure your fan is on the right way round. Not with a leading edge like the Patrol one.

·
Registered
Nissan
140 Posts
Has any one else had issues with fan catching radiator. I went for a play out Mornington Rd way last Thursday, all was going good till I decided to have a play at Edwards Rd, took the track to the left after the creek. ( the rocky one with the step up around the tree ) As I was climbing front wheels over step up back wheels got caught up, slowly reversed back down as the front slipped down the step up, Bang fan into radiator. It has severed 7 tubes where tank and tubes meet at top of rad ( nearly same place Sydos has hit ) and broken 2 blades and damaged 2 others.
Anyway bit of bush machanics and I was on my way again. I've checked both engine and gearbox mounts with a jack and all good, and only running cooper/brass 2 core rad but with 56 mm top tank lip to lip.
I'm now going to put rapid cool rad in and a new fan and shroud. I'm also thinking moving rad forward a bit to help. Anyone got any other ideas ?
Please no **** slinging as the way this fan has helped in cooling is awesome. I will be using this setup again as I'm happy with it just want to make sure it doesn't grap again cheers

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
Were you offered spacer ? Did u tell UFI about your radiator set up ?

·
Registered
Nissan
140 Posts
Yea I did tell them It was the wide radiator and only a 2 core but not specific measurements. I only had about 20 mm if I remember correctly from tips of fan to inside of the shroud.
I've had this set up on for 6 months, and done plenty of sand driving, and a little at mundaring but first time climbing same harder stuff down south. This set up works really well on road now just gotta make it work off

181 - 200 of 226 Posts