Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
201 - 220 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
140 Posts
Spoke with Matt today he says there is a spacer that can be used will get it all fitted up and I'll report back.
Well it's a good excuse too put the rapid cool in haha

·
Registered
nissan
188 Posts
Hi Draven, if you have a standard radiator then you should be able to do it by removing the shroud, however it can be tricky as it's a tight fit. Mine was a bastard with a triple core radiator in there, but when it leaked and I replaced it with a standard one again and was OK.

It actually runs cooler now with the standard radiator and the new fan than with the triple core radiator and new fan......

·
Read Only
nissan
82 Posts
G35 is a Nissan sports car - INFINITI Q45 QX4 FX35 FX45 models are identical in drive train.
E51 is a Nissan Legrand

US Armada and Titan 5.6l V8 fan clutches are an identical interference and bolt fit. US manufactured hubs are cheaper than the Nissan ones and are the OEM fit for Nissan US vehicles. They have a larger reservoir and larger surface area

So US Motor Works or Beck/Arnley hubs for the 5.6L will fit TB and TD's

G35 Fan

View attachment 295385

View attachment 295393

Nissan G35's are normally black, Legrand fans are normal Nissan white

the fans need to be identical to above as the US also has reverse pitch fans which I assume are driven by a snake belt

The BMW 7 Series and Mercedes Alloy fan I tested require adapters. I'll eventually change over to the Mercedes alloy fan as they aren't going to crack and will survive deep water crossings etc - so they won't shear off or drive through the radiator like plastic ones can. (which is why the Unimog deep water kits include alloy fans - but ridiculously large price as well)

I'm sure there is a reason for going the esoteric route but am wondering whether the nissan family stuff was tested as well
I realize this is a old post but the topic and on going problems are not. Their seems to be a clear implication here that the 5.6l nissan V8 Hub will both bolt up to the GU TD42 Water pump and accept a G35 Fan. Unless I am missing something this is not the case unfortunately.

GU TD42 W/P Spigot 31.75mm 5.6V8 31.75mm
GU TD42 W/P to Hub Bolt PCD 60mm 5.6V8 60mm

So the viscous hub bolts up to the water pump.

GU TD42 Hub Fan bolt PCD 143mm 5.6V8 Hub Fan bolt PCD 168mm
GU TD42 Fan spigot dia 129mm 5.6V8 Fan spigot dia 168mm
GU TD42 Length 45mm 5.6V8 Hub Length 56.5mm (Length being distance from W/P to Fan mounting faces.

GU TD42 STD Fan and G35 Fan both have mounting bolt PCD of 143mm and spigot dia of 129mm so the G35 fan will not fit the Nissan 5.6l V8 viscous hub and any fan mounted to the 5.6V8 Hub would be 11.5 mm closer to the radiator (all other factors being equal)

Campbell

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,028 Posts
Unless I am missing something this is not the case unfortunately.
yep, you've misunderstood :)

the 5.6L hib was far too big to use in a patrol - that's why I never used it once I ran the measurements, it's also why I never ran further commentary on using it once I had one to test

the only way for it to work was on an engine set back on the rails - which for 99.9% of people was not going to happen

but it was too big across the axis and the fan itself ran in the opposite direction (which is also why those models run centipede fan belts)

I was however able to mount the mercedes 450 alloy fan to the 5.6L hub - but as said prev. linear axis issues

I think I stated elsewhere on my other thread that the armada titan NV fan is way too big (apart from linear axis issues)
even if it didn't have a linear axis issue the diameter would chop up the shroud

·
Read Only
nissan
82 Posts
yep, you've misunderstood :)

the 5.6L hib was far too big to use in a patrol - that's why I never used it once I ran the measurements, it's also why I never ran further commentary on using it once I had one to test

the only way for ity to work was on an engine set back on the rails - which for 99.9% of people was not going to happen

but it was too big across the axis and the fan itself ran in the opposite direction (which is also why those models run centipede fan belts)

I was however able to mount the mercedes 450 alloy fan to the 5.6L hub - but as said prev. linear axis issues

I think I stated elsewhere on my other thread that the armada titan NV fan is way too big (apart from linear axis issues)
even if it didn't have a linear axis issue the diameter would chop up the shroud
No I have not misunderstood :), your post clearly comes across as fact and other post,s refer to this set up as plug and play. The web being what it is means this info has spread, it would be considerate to others if you pulled or corrected your posts re this set up.

Campbell

·
Read Only
nissan
82 Posts
what you refer to as (Length being distance from W/P to Fan mounting faces.) is what's called the linear axis
You can call it what you like, but after 30+ years as an Engine Reconditioner I have adopted the practice of using plain and descriptive language to ensure no misunderstanding or confusion. :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,028 Posts
You can call it what you like, but after 30+ years as an Engine Reconditioner I have adopted the practice of using plain and descriptive language to ensure no misunderstanding or confusion. :)
mate, one of the reasons why I stopped contributing to the forum was the self righteous attitude of some members. this wasn't the primary thread on the G35/C34/H34 fan adaptations (which were the principle fans under discussion)

there are a couple of posts on this matter, and on the one I created separately after the vendor got snippy showed happy snaps of all the clutches and various fans tested. I pointed out that the 5.6L couldn't be used despite having the same interference fit and PCD onto the water pumps

and despite you being an engine reconditioner, I used the terminology from the clutch manufacturers that I contacted when I was testing 4 separate clutch types. I do have some confidence in the actual engineers who deal with fluid mechanics/flow engineers

various members on here did their own testing - and all of us used qualification.

continue to be snippy, but those who read and contributed and actually did the adaptations themselves seemed to understand what was being discussed.

probably half a dozen members contributed to and refined the detail in the threads that were spun off this one.

measurements for all the fans and why they wouldn't fit on various hubs were added by a number of people - and the armada/titan/NV hubs were clearly identified in the other thread as being unsuitable for the G35 and C34/H34 fans

theres even some discussion about what constitutes the linear axis to add some clarity.

I don't have an issue being wrong, and self corrected throughout the development of the other threads around these mods, but I take umbrage at some fly in who hasn't bothered to check all the threads around this issue and decides to have a crack at me.

anyway I'm done, continue to have a bash but enjoy engaging with yourself. I no longer have my patrols, so this is all academic to me now. ironically I still get others PM'ing me re the mods and I'm happy to help them and/or refer them to others who also did the mods

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,314 Posts
mate, one of the reasons why I stopped contributing to the forum was the self righteous attitude of some members. I no longer have my patrols, so this is all
Mate, don't let a minority of gong bangers put you off.
The majority of us here really appreciate your contribution.
The g35 thread helped me out so thanks. :)
I miss your insights on other subjects too. ;)

Do you see yourself getting another trol in future?
There are others without them who still post.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,028 Posts
Probably will get another troll, the shorty was just too small for the job when I relocated back home - and the maverick was getting a bit tired. she had 450k on her but was starting to get asthmatic :) I even sold my rangie - the bugger who bought it waved pixie dust over it and is restoring it (but keeping the 351 and C4) - so currently I have no 4wd's up the drive

I've retired but am finding that I'm busier and have less time than when I was working FT.

am catching up on 20 years of house maint that didn't happen when I was away interstate (and OS)....

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I ordered the g35 fan and hub over a year ago after reading your thread. Bolted straight onto my 92 GQ. Plenty of clearance to the radiator.

The time and effort younput in there is priceless. All free and factual information you would have spent hours calculating.
Like you said, considering others are charging for a hub that sounds like it never disengages. Why not just put a screw in it....

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Mate as an unknown I'd never pull the X amount of years experience here. Not in any field.
There are thousands of cumulative years of experience here, in every field. Whether on a professional level, or just personal interest.

I have 23 years experience in something, but rarely say it, as you can never be too sure of yourself.

Franky.:)

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
I have 23 years experience in something, but rarely say it, as you can never be too sure of yourself.

23 years of drinking doesn't count :cheers: ........Or does it. It should make you more sure of yourself.

Reactions: Franky73

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
23 years of drinking doesn't count :cheers: ........Or does it. It should make you more sure of yourself.
HaHaHa
Yep I've got just as many years experience in that, but don't think it makes me more sure of myself. Or does it? Yeah ok sometimes.

I realise that the next day.
As I said. Sometimes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey guys, received my fan today (New version, apparently 4mm further away from the rad). I'm pretty much winging it as I'm not 100% sure I'll have the clearance. I have an auto TD42 sitting on a ZD30 auto crossmember so the motor is slightly forward.

In the earlier posts there was talk about having the fan bolt in from behind the hub. Did anyone actually do this and run it for a while? No balance issues etc.? Hoping I can go that path if the default doesn't work.

Cheers

201 - 220 of 226 Posts