Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
221 - 226 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2,948 Posts
There will not be enough room to bolt the fan blade to the back of the hub.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi bambill, thanks for your reply. I assume you mean that the fan will foul belts? I had another read through this thread and it appears people have used the rear setup with a viscous hub spacer to move it forward a tad to clear the belts.

Anyway, I did some measurements and the axis length of this new UFI combo is about 74 mm so I am hopeful it will just go straight in with no issues and I don't have to resort to trying to set it up bolted in from the back. I'll report back with results because I have asked in several places what people have done regarding upgraded fans on a similar setup and have not had any replies. So hopefully can help others out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi bambill, looks like this may have been a big waste of time :( I just got around to putting the new fan in and my clearance to the flat section of the shroud where the middle bolt goes is little to none - approx 4 mm.

I may just go with it for now and hope it just chews away at the shroud with no damage to the fan, and then 'plug up' the damage to the shroud if it ends up with a hole so to speak. Really can't be bothered taking the radiator and shroud out as it was a [email protected]#$# to get in with the larger fan and hub.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Stairs
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Steering part Steering wheel
Hood Automotive design Grey Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Sleeve Grey Automotive design Hood Space

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thought I'd give an update for anyone else in the same boat. So with the 4 mm or so clearance my fan was hitting the shroud whenever I took off on a hill (front facing up). My solution was to extend the hole in the top radiator mounts so that I could move the radiator forward more (just the top of the radiator, as that is where the issue obviously is). I drilled a second hole to rivet it in place incase the nut comes loose. In doing that I also realised that my intercooler bracket was limiting how far forward I could push the radiator also, so I added a couple of washers under the mount. I managed to move it forward another 10-15 mm or so and still have comfortable clearance between it and the air con stuff. Haven't taken it offroad yet, but I've been experimenting with different conditions (flooring it up steep hills etc.) anything that could cause body movement and so far so good.

Can't really comment on temps yet as I haven't taken it on a proper highway run but I can definitely hear the fan (couldn't hear my previous one even after replacing viscous oil with 2 tubes of Toyota). On the highway at 80 I can tell that the fan is doing a proper job now as there are times where i'm putting my foot into it, and rather than the temp increase it drops, which never happened before.

Happy days! 😃

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,748 Posts
I wouldn’t be doing any water crossings with blades that close to the radiator.

Best thing you could do is fit a TD42 crossmember and put the engine where Nissan intended, about 35mm or so further back.

Apart from that you’ll be stoked with the fan and hub, awesome product.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wouldn’t be doing any water crossings with blades that close to the radiator.

Best thing you could do is fit a TD42 crossmember and put the engine where Nissan intended, about 35mm or so further back.

Apart from that you’ll be stoked with the fan and hub, awesome product.
I do plan on doing the crebb in two weeks if weather permits. And yeah it's been on my mind, might just cover grill with a bra.

Now I've done a bit more driving since the changeover. Around town temps are wayyy more stable. And I don't think I have seen them go above 88. I remember sitting in a maccas drive through one day last summer and my temps went above 100 haha.

Still seem to be sitting on around 95 and even 97 on the highway with A/C on (flat road), but it does seem to be getting bloody hot a bit early (I think it was a 33-35 degree day). Have a work trip up the Atherton range next week so we will see how that pans out.

Weird thing is that prior to my coolant flush I had just the stock fan and all my rubbers were missing (still had bottom air dam), I replaced and patched up whatever I could with copper pipe insulation and put the stock fan back on - no difference. Then another flush and addition of UFI fan, made a difference around town but not on the highway.

221 - 226 of 226 Posts