Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 3862 Posts

·
united fuel injection
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
People

As promised i have been doing some exhaustive testing on my own TD42Ti GUIV patrol to try and answer some peoples questions about different turbos on the TD42 engine, there are many different reasons why turbos are changed and every situation is different but this is testing on the same platform that speaks for itself so people can make a better informed decision.

First one is boost response and curve at 8 Psi

Next one is boost response and curve at 15 Psi

Last one is turbine back pressure,very critical

All these tests are done using only roller inertia as load,not a pre-determined "ramp rate" to get extra load applied.

Further to this i will be posting some pyro and back pressure screen shots which is very interesting.

·
united fuel injection
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok here a few temp readings that we have taken indicating before and after turbo pyro temps in red and purple and after intercooler temps in yellow,on some you will see the boost reading which is actually the turbine back pressure reading at the load point. All test were taken over as close to a 60 second period as possible to replicate what actually happens when they are used as a tow car of which 90% of them are, they are made to "work for a living" so to speak and little short blasts on the road show results that are not accurate.

The first one is a STD unmodified TD42Ti, the type that you see everyday driving around the country towing all sorts of things and you will now know what is going on under the engine bay, the before pyro on this actually went to 810 degrees after we discovered the pyro had come out and we didn't save the screen shot (woops)

The second one is our modified HT18 with STD boost and the boost reading is turbine back pressure and we had given up measuring the STD intercooler temps as we saw how feable they were in the first run.This is still with the STD intercooler fitted. Power was up'd 70Nm and 25Kw.

The next one is our TD05 tuned to 15 psi and the boost reading is turbine back pressure,power was up'd by 135Nm and 40Kw

The next one is the GT2860 with .64 turbine housing at 15.5 Psi and power is up'd 135Nm and 40Kw. This run did not get to the 60 secind mark as the engine temp had already peaked too high after 45 seconds.

The shown temp drop across the turbine on different turbos can either indicate a poorly flowing wastegate or the amount of energy required to get the job done. It shows that the assumption that temp drops across turbines is always a fixed is not true, In the coming weeks i will be testing another couple of specced TD05's that i am working on .

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is great info for those of us looking at different turbo options - thanks for taking the time to do this and post the results.

Do you have boost and back-pressure graphs for the 2860?

·
united fuel injection
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is great info for those of us looking at different turbo options - thanks for taking the time to do this and post the results.

The second and third graphs show boost response and back pressure compared to the ones tested, just read the graph headings

·
Registered
674 Posts
So for the ones who are easily bamboozled... (ME!!) which so far would be the best general turbo upgrade from factory? The TD05?

·
united fuel injection
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why not a GT2871R or GT2876R with 0.86 rear?
I tried a GT2860 with .86 on my GUIV and it was a little too laggy for a heavy car and with the extra compressor end size on the 71 or 76 you just lose some important driveability. When used with a N/A style or TD42T pump they may be ok but for the lasier TD42Ti pump i dont suggest them for everyday use.

·
Registered
674 Posts
So is the TD05 used here a standard off the shelf unit? Are they all the same? Or do they have different input/output values like the 2860?
What is stage 3 modification on the TD05?
Approx cost to buy the turbo?

·
united fuel injection
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So is the TD05 used here a standard off the shelf unit? Are they all the same? Or do they have different input/output values like the 2860?
What is stage 3 modification on the TD05?
Approx cost to buy the turbo?
The turbo used here is an off the shelf item that we put finer touches too.

Pm me for prices mate

·
Registered
675 Posts
Tough D,

You mentioned the before and after temp readings are not fixed, but would you say that they are erring mostly on 'the safe side', or within 30-40 degrees?
Surely the second temp reading (HT 18 ) 807 pre & 23 post can't be right? Or am I reading it wrong?

Thanks for your effort, very interesting.

·
united fuel injection
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tough D,

You mentioned the before and after temp readings are not fixed, but would you say that they are erring mostly on 'the safe side', or within 30-40 degrees?
Surely the second temp reading (HT 18 ) 807 pre & 23 post can't be right? Or am I reading it wrong?

Thanks for your effort, very interesting.
On some of the tests we didnt measure the after temp as per the 23 degree reading you are seeing as we were using that to monitor other things at the time light the ambient temps and intake air temps.

I guess what i am trying to showcase is that if you were to work on a 600 degree pyro temp after turbo say then on a HT18 it shows a smaller gap of around 130 degrees between post and pre than say the 2860 which shows almost 200 degrees.

·
Registered
31 Posts

The second and third graphs show boost response and back pressure compared to the ones tested, just read the graph headings
Good point - I only read the header for the first graph. Thanks

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
cheers for this. good information.

can you run much more than 14psi with the td05 with it still being efficient?
is that the same turbo as the DTS kit?
got any rough specs on them?
got any power/torque runs?

cheers,
trav

·
united fuel injection
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cheers for this. good information.

can you run much more than 14psi with the td05 with it still being efficient?
is that the same turbo as the DTS kit?
got any rough specs on them?
got any power/torque runs?

cheers,
trav
As they are 360 degree thrust STD, boost levels of 18 Psi are no dramas and as far as efficiency goes it is well within its limits.
Same turbo essentially just a different spec to the one in the kit and we also fancy them up a tad :D
What specs you after
I can give you as many as you want but it all depends on how much fuel/intercooler you want to use with it mate.

·
Registered
75 Posts
ToughDiesels very good work,Lol what sort of finer touches did you do?
Highflow?
Did they all have the same wheels front and back?
Because there is a massive gap when they start to drop off,and even come on.

·
united fuel injection
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ToughDiesels very good work,Lol what sort of finer touches did you do?
Highflow?
Did they all have the same wheels front and back?
Because there is a massive gap when they start to drop off,and even come on.
Just some in house mods that we do to make them even more efficient.
Guess you could call it highflow.
Are you asking if all the TD05's have the same wheels???
That is why i did the testing to show people what is actually happening with certain turbos.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
one thing that does bring to my attention is the use of post turbo egt gauges and how inaccurate it can be. i mean with a less efficent turbo a 600 degree post turbo reading could be as high as 800 or more. surely this kind of tempreture couldnt be good.
i guess it also shows how bad the .64 rear housing is on a 2860 garrett. i mean its good for quick on the spot power but prolonged running cannot be good.
do you have any data from running a gt2860 with a .86 rear housing preferably running a gq pump and a td42t pump?
also any reason why you didnt keep going with the data on the switzer turbo or is it just that bad it isnt funny?

1 - 20 of 3862 Posts