Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The Centaur .5 Manpopwer .5 Horsepower
nissan
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, question for everyone....I am looking at getting a uhf for the pootrol and thought that maybe a hand held is a way to go instead of a hard mounted unit, anyone got any thoughts on this?? are any of the hand helds any good? can they be used whilst driving or are they like a mobile phone in this instance?

·
Registered
nissan
2,015 Posts
solid mount, once you hang up the mic you haven't got to worry about it sliding around in the cab, hand-helds are a pain in the bum for this reason

·
Registered
NISSAN GU PATROL
694 Posts
Ive have a hard mounted unit and a few handhelds, if going on a road trip with a few other cars i hand out the handhelds so we can communicate.
Also when going on a camping/fishing trip i hand some out to the kids so i can always get them back without screaming out and looking for them.

·
Registered
nissan
138 Posts
If its a matter of dollars and your on a budget you'll get better value and performance for your money out of a cheap or low end vehicle mounted radio installed properly.

If its ultimate flexibility you want then a quality hand held unit (Icom IC-41W as an example) sitting in a generic cradle with a battery eliminator and speaker mic and the option of an external aerial (buy aftermarket not genuine) as well means you get hard mount performance on the road and when you pull up throw your battery on and stick it in your pocket.

You will get the sh*ts and possbily a ticket using a handheld loose in the cab regularly, failing that it willl fall out the window or get broken rolling around the cab some time. I use a handheld radio 12 hours a day and speak from my personal experience.

I prefer Tait and Simoco for week days and Icom for week ends but I'd suggest hunting around, I'm sure GME were doing a promotion with a hard mount radio and bonus 2watt handheld.

That would be the ideal combination so you can do the driving and get the wife to do the spotting for you win - win !

·
Registered
Nissan
1,710 Posts
hard mount is the go, you can get a decent 5w unit and connect it to an antenna, the hand held wont get the range of a without that decent bulbar mount antenna,

I have a uniden in the patrol, its ok but no where as good as my old GME that I had in my hilux, GME seemed to be clearer and better.

I also have a small 1w hand held in the car, comes in handy when 4x4ing, makes it easy to communicate with your spotter

·
nissan
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Looks like I might go the hard mount.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
A handheld is ideal when you are walking around, not for use in a vehicle (its the last option)

If you can connect an external antenna and power supply then it is the equivalent of the fixed mounted unit.

A handheld will have less range / reception then a mounted unit.

The antenna on the hand held has less gain then the typical vehicle mounted antenna, smaller ground plan etc. There is also a big lump of meat holding the hand held - this does affect the range.

Also if the hand held is used in the vehicle - it is sounded by a metal shield.

On 4wd club trips we can always pick the vehicle using hand held - small range.)

technically -
Portable coverage is considered good with a receive signal level of -81, while mobile is rated at -101 db (when measured at the antenna port of a receiver with a unity gain antenna and a ground plann

·
nissan
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone that has replied, it is sincerely appreciated. I will look at going down the path of a hard mounted unit again, the idea of the hand held sounds like it is not the best idea I have had (oh well we have these moments sometimes..hehe). I think I have found one setup that should suit our needs.

Thanks again

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,054 Posts
I bought a GME TX6150 5W hand held for my landcruiser cos it was cheaper then a mounted unit and I knew I wasn't keeping it for very long. Now I've got a hand held for out of the vehicle and a mounted for in vehicle. Mounted is always better but when the budget allows definitely look into getting a hand held as a secondary.

Also be careful who you give it to, I'm still chasing mine after 6 weeks. Lent it to a mate who decided to go home early. :(

·
I trust your dash vents are clean...
nissan
732 Posts
I use both. Hard mounted in the truck and two hand helds get packed as well when we go away. Always handy if you find yourself in a rough section of track, passenger can get out and spot you with ease using the hand held.

·
Registered
nissan GU iv 2006
1,717 Posts
I use both aswell. But recently upgraded hand held unit to a 5w oricom. It also has an adaptor so you can connect to external aerial. Thought it was a good option if someones main unit died on a trip, they could just plug it in to there aerial. cheap as chips too.

·
nissan
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, greatly appreciated. Haven't bought a unit as yet but do have my eye on one, just need the funds to be allocated to this from the minister of war and finance and all will be good.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
I have a spare gme 40ch tx3100

And a spring mount antenna

If you are interested pm me an offer. I had 2 in the car for convoys but am too lazy now.
I was thinking about putting the small one in the camper trailer but will prob never get around to it.

Padded from my LG-D855 using Padatalk.

·
Registered
179 Posts
hand held with separate mic and external aerial. Make a nice cradle for it so it doesnt move around and wire the charger up to 12v.

Check out Baofeng. Getting some good reviews on the amateur radio forums and been around a few years now to iron out the bugs and improve the stability/features/performance

·
Registered
nissan
138 Posts
I'm not the radio police but for those who may not know any better just remember Baofeng and the multitude of other chinese import radios are not strictly legal for use on commercial or cb bands in Australia.

It not a big deal really until you program it incorrectly and or start annoying commercial users or emegency services by choice or accident, or the kids start playing with all the buttons beause it looks like a calulator.

Some decents fines of course if your really unfortnate enough to actually get pinched with one being used out of band but unlikely.

Kirisun and TYT have stepped up to the plate as far as chinese budget radios go for performace of late, moreso the single band model.

And yes it is also technically illegal to use surplus commercial radios powered down and programmed for CB but at least they are reliable, bullet proof, simple and you'd be damn unlucky for it to ever really be a problem.

·
nissan
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dronus4x4, mate thanks for the offer it is sincerely appreciated but I am after something that is hidden from view and not have holes in the dash anywhere (well as few holes as possible) such as the ones with the controls on the microphone. In the y62 there is not alot of real estate on the dash or centre console to be able to screw a unit to unfortunately.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Ahh cool yeah I know what you mean.
My other unit is one that is hidden under the dash and has all the controls on the Mic.

Its a good bit of kit :)

Padded from my LG-D855 using Padatalk.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Headsense is correct in regards to the Chinese cheapies.

When you purchase a licensed CB in Australia, part of the purchase amount goes to the ACMA for the class license. if you get caught with a chinese radio and it has out of band channels programmed in it - or UHF CB channels. You can be fined by the ACMA or police for having an unlicensed radio. Depending on the locl state laws the police have the same powers as the ACMA - but most of the run in mil police are not aware of there powers.

Some commercial radios were sold licensed for UHF CB use - eg the Motorola syntax (it had to have the 10 watt pa - tuned to 5 watts, and the correct stickers applied)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts