Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm pretty new to all of this but I just bought myself a UHF and I would like to know whether anyone thinks it's feasible to power it with power from the electrical seats in my Ti. This way, it won't run off the accessories power (the seats can be adjusted even when ignition is "off"). Would it involve a lot, like adding fuses/wiring? Just as some background, I'm running a GPS plus my iPod off the ciggie lighter so I don't really want to put more stress on that one outlet.
Cheers,

Joostoz

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
personally id just run a line to the battery and fuse that as close as you can to the battery, When you say you have electric seats is that motor operated or heated seats? If its heated id say no, but if its just motor operated it should be alright if you turn the uhf off when moving the seat, i dont think you'll burn the wiring out, i think you'll just get interferance when moving the seat with the uhf on, there shouldnt be a need to run a fuse as the seat will already be fused

·
Registered
NISSAN GU PATROL
694 Posts
Id just run a dedicated line from the battery and fuse it, the UHF sucks a fair bit of power on TX

·
Registered
nissan
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
It's just motor operated, not heated. to be honest, we never move the seats since my wife and I are almost the same height, so interference wouldn't really be an issue i'd think. Running a dedicated line from the battery will be interesting, the Ti doesn't seem to allow a lot of easy wiring to be done from the engine compartment to the cabin (unless I haven't found the right spaces yet).
thanks so far!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,823 Posts
I don't have powered seats but I got the plugs so I wired it up to it with a fuse and no problem. I got my UHF under the centre console so it's nice and close plus it's a constant supply

·
Registered
nissan
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi The Big Rig, thanks these were my thoughts exactly, so if it can be done it would save a lot of hassles. Hopefully the radio will arrive later this week so I can have a crack at it at the weekend... 4 weeks until our big trip up North (no, not the Cape unfortunately, Uluru will have to do it this time) so little time and a lot to do!

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
It isnt that hard to run 1x 2 core wire to the battery and do it properly is it?

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU
27 Posts
Where are you putting the antenna?? If on the front like normal you have to run the coax in to the engine bay anyway so just run a 3mm auto cable at the same time.

I prefure to connect straight to the battery unless you want it coming on with the key.

Red..

·
Registered
nissan
82 Posts
It isnt that hard to run 1x 2 core wire to the battery and do it properly is it?
x2 and if you cant do it take it to an auto eletrician, or a mate that can.

·
Registered
nissan
1,529 Posts
^ agreed.

Seriously theres grommets in the engine bay big enough to stick your fricken head through. Use a straightened out coat hanger tape one end to the wire and poke the other through a grommet spray with CRC / RP7/WD40 and pull it through the other side. Theres a perfec gromet for this near the steering column. From memory it comes out just below the top of the carpet line. I've pulled 2 runs of 0awg (50mm^2) cable through there so a pissant power cable for a uhf will be easy as
Fuse close to battery.
Your gunna have to do it for the antenna as previously stated...

·
Registered
NISSAN GU PATROL
694 Posts
Just bring it to me with all the materials, ill do it for two slabs :)

·
Registered
nissan
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it appears I have saved myself 2 slabs (thanks for the offer anyway Jimako ;-)). Couldn't find the grommet on the driver's side in first instance but it appeared to be very straightforward. Power cable went through without drama and is now directly hooked up to the battery. Antenna coax through the passenger side grommet (not easy in a 4.5 Ti, ABS unit sits pretty close to the firewall so had trouble getting my hands close to it). Took the easy option of mounting the TX3220 on the driver's side left under the steering wheel. Only issue I have is that I can't open or close my garage door without damaging the antenna... so will have to take the top part off unless I'm gonna use the radio.

Will post pictures tonight.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
mate i cant stress enough the importance of a fuse as close as possible to the battery. If you have then ignore this but yeh u didnt mention one.

Fuses are only important when you need them, and if they arent there then well burn baby burn.

·
Registered
nissan
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi,
The GME package came with a standard power lead which includes a fuse. I used this one so assume it should be fine. thanks for reminding though!

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Personnaly I would run a lead to the battery.

But.

A UHF cb transmitting 5 Watts ( this is the legal Max power) should draw around 2-3 amps on Tx, the electric seat motors probally draw a lot more. Therefore you could safely connect to the seat power. (dont Tranmitt and adjust the seat at the same time)

Note.

A commercial UHF radio transmitting 25 Watts draw around 5-7 Amps on tx
A HF radio (ie codan) transmitting 100 Watts draw up to 15 Amps on tx

1 - 15 of 15 Posts