Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running the new ultra flexy coils from suspension stuff ?. If so hows the ride, wheel travel and final ride height once settled ?. I recieved mine friday but wont be putting them in until I get a set of SRC shocks in a few weeks. Shane has a bit of a write up on the outer limits 4x4 forum I have included here, but I was hoping someone here might have tested them in a patrol GU ute and has any info.

RE:SUSPENSION STUFF / OUTER LIMITS 4X4
We have changed our flexy coils to ultra flexy coils.
Soon we will have them in normal duty and extra heavy duty.
Normal duty are designed for loads up to 150kg and the extra heavy duty coils 21mm wire will be for those with more weight. Having extra heavy coils without extra load will give a rough ride though.

Our Ultra flexy coils will flex about 2 inches more then our regular flexy coils.
You could run EFS Extremes with our normal 3" flexy coils, so with out ultra flexy coils you can easily run longer shocks then the EFS Extremes.

I am re-doing all heights so we are as close as possible to a 75mm lift for our 3" lifts so not higher then a normal coil, maybe a bit lower, and you can purchase them in half inch intervals meaning you can get a 3.5" also.

Our Ultra flexy coils will have a 5 year warranty and unless you have black ones, you don't have the Ultra Flexy Coils. (Unless you were part of the testing)

With the testing so far and customer feedback, our normal duty Ultra flexy coils are very comfortable without much body roll at all.

You will not find any feedback on this forum about our Ultra flexy coils because not many people have them yet.

·
Registered
nissan
11,049 Posts
the only problem i can see. is that i have some flexxy coils and have 100mm of rear bump stop extension as it is to stop my shocks bottoming out. and have approx 50-60mm up travel so with ultra flexy coils and longer shocks up travel will become non existant. im running 4-5" src rear shock so the downward travel is monsterous but up travel isnt the best. but in saying that it tucks the wheel into the guards well without any fowling up.

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,539 Posts
mate id also be keen to know about this as im looking at getting a new set of these too

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,550 Posts
the only problem i can see. is that i have some flexxy coils and have 100mm of rear bump stop extension as it is to stop my shocks bottoming out. and have approx 50-60mm up travel so with ultra flexy coils and longer shocks up travel will become non existant. im running 4-5" src rear shock so the downward travel is monsterous but up travel isnt the best. but in saying that it tucks the wheel into the guards well without any fowling up.
Tucks in (but not as high up in the guard as it would without BS ext) because the other side is drooping well down.
One thing with BS extensions is it raises the COG when flexing. The car is higher from the ground than normal when bottomed out on them.

·
Registered
nissan
11,049 Posts
Tucks in (but not as high up in the guard as it would without BS ext) because the other side is drooping well down.
One thing with BS extensions is it raises the COG when flexing. The car is higher from the ground than normal when bottomed out on them.
Yeah that's what I ment. It pivots off the bs ext but when driving normally on the road I have less than 60mm of up travel meaning you hit a bump and almost bottom out. Add a load to that for going away and there is about 20mm between the bs. So what I'm saying is more flexxy springs Longer shocks will mean bigger bs extensions as virtually sitting on the bumpstops normally. Or you will destroy your shocks

·
TD42 The God Of All Engines
nissan
429 Posts
matt from offroad division has them and they flex awesome biggest angle ive seen a rear diff on with out coilover or anything fancy

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah Bump stops need extending, I'm using 5" ultra flexy springs with the src 6" shocks front and rear.For my set up, Rear requires 112mm of bump stop extension due to full compression of springs with no shocks installed is 373mm sitting on the B.S., 6'' SRC shocks closed are 485mm the difference = 112mm.
Front with 80 series landcruiser bump stops + 50mm extensions a total of 200mm, standard GU being 125mm a difference of 75mm. So full compressions of springs(sitting on bump stops) gives me 420mm between shock mounts , the 6" SRC closed length is 401mm the extra 20mm to hopefully gain from rasing the upper shock mount tower 20mm as 1.) I dont have body lift, 2.) I dont like the idea of cutting out the body to puch shock towers into engine bay to use 50mm shock tower extension, well at this stage anyway.
At the end of the day I am using longer springs to fit a larger tyre, a larger tyre to clear more ground , higher ground clearence less chance of bottoming out, tyres making contact with ground more foward movement , so a better spring/suspension set up to allow for this contact . Larger tyres are bound to rub somewhere and given with my build up I am trying not to use a body lift at this point bump stops are my next bet. Nothing wrong with body lift kits I've had two vehicles with 2" lifts and one with a 3" lift plus guards cut ect., just trying something different this time.

·
Registered
nissan
11,049 Posts
got any pics of the setup?
it would work alot better with a bigger lift as you have but my 3" flexxy lift has no up travel due to the length of the shocks. still wouldnt have it any other way though atm.

·
Registered
Nissan
462 Posts
it would work alot better with a bigger lift as you have but my 3" flexxy lift has no up travel due to the length of the shocks. still wouldnt have it any other way though atm.
I'd also like to see some pics of this setup !

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
50 to 60mm of uptravel is perfectly fine unless you want to begin flying lessons.:p

FYI the current trend in multi use comp buggies using solid axles over in the states is low COG with stuff all uptravel and ****eloads of down. So I don't think you've gone the wrong way.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
69 Posts
here is a old shot of my rig just after installing a 4inch flexi coil lift from suspension stuff and using 6inch pro comp shocks.

Good ride, performs spot on and flexes like a slinky. Love em so far.

oly thing to note is i find them to be noisy when flexing hard, they make a popping grinding noise. Using coil spacers will stop the noise to a point.

They must move around alot in the suspension hat.

·
Registered
nissan
116 Posts
They will also fail quicker then any other spring, if you notice they make more coil windings in the same height coil which will increase bind up on compression of the spring and coils even twist or bend the spring itself

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SRC shocks arrived today, but with work and christmas (3 weeks overseas) around the corner I am going to have to put it all on hold till the new year , spewing as I really want to see how it all performs ; 5" flexy springs, drop boxes, superior super flex arm, SRC shocks all round, and if my set up works nice or if its back to the drawing board. Will post photos for sure, just need to get the wife to help in that department.

·
Registered
nissan
804 Posts
hey, i have a 3 inch set of ultra flexy coils in the shed, i opted for the 21m wire coil just for a a bit more load carrying ability. i have 5 inch lift adjustable tough dog shocks, and everything in mine is getting fitted on the 16th of december, once that is done i can give a full comparison.
im just wondering if i need to extend my bump stops.

why did you guys decide on SRC shocks?
because you can import fox racing shocks for the same price in a 10 inch shocks, i know you might want 6 inch but i assume the fox's would be around the same price, for a tried and tested product

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Always check bump stops with any change in suspension / shock set up, even just as a mesurement to watch ride height but more so to prevent damage to shocks due to bottoming out.
Why the SRC shocks ?, well the fox shock was going to be the choice first up but with research here and asking around with mates that are using fox or SRC, the SRC suited my set up the best. Also in a nut shell the SRC are adjustable with out removing, with 30 stage adjustment at the twist of a knob sold me.

Thread: new src shocks anyone else running them?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
They will also fail quicker then any other spring, if you notice they make more coil windings in the same height coil which will increase bind up on compression of the spring and coils even twist or bend the spring itself
Our old type flexy coils did have some coil bind issues on the front of the Patrol, this is the main reason why we have changed over to the ultra flexy coils. Coil bind won't be a problem with the new coils, maybe an inch different to a regular coil, but 4 inches more down travel then a regular coil.

We never did have sag issues with our old design and the new coils are made out of a high tensile steel and have a low stress design. I believe they are less likely to sag then a regular coil and we will give them a 3 year warranty just in case. If you decide to put 2 ton on your vehicle and drop it to the bump stops, I am still confident you won't wreck the coils. They will just sit lower while the weight is on the vehicle and then pop back up as it was when the weight is removed.

Feedback says that they don't experience body roll and adding 200kg to the back of the vehicle doesn't drop the vehicle much. We will obviously be asking what accessories go on the vehicle though.

Cheers
Shane
1300 048 991

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
hey, i have a 3 inch set of ultra flexy coils in the shed, i opted for the 21m wire coil just for a a bit more load carrying ability. i have 5 inch lift adjustable tough dog shocks, and everything in mine is getting fitted on the 16th of december, once that is done i can give a full comparison.
im just wondering if i need to extend my bump stops.

why did you guys decide on SRC shocks?
because you can import fox racing shocks for the same price in a 10 inch shocks, i know you might want 6 inch but i assume the fox's would be around the same price, for a tried and tested product
Best way to check bump stops is when you take your coils out, compress the suspension until your shocks would be fully compressed and then measure the bump stop clearance. Add a bit for bump stop compression. Once this measurement is taken also do the same for the tyres so your tyres don't hit on anything. You won't have a problem with coil bind so don't worry about that. You had to worry about that with the fronts on our old flexy coils for those who have 4" lift or higher coils in our old design.

Shane

·
Registered
nissan
804 Posts
got my coils fitted yesterday guys, the 3 inch lift coil put the front guard 100mm higher than standard, so im hoping it will settle and sag a bit in the coming days.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts