Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all. if anybody knows any companies lthat take on green underground miners please let me know, im an electrician. or if any1 knows of any surface jobs going please let me know.

cheers

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Try WA if you are keen. They are screaming for EVERYBODY!!!

P.S. How is this patrol related?

·
It's all good
nissan patrol
4,206 Posts
Try WA if you are keen. They are screaming for EVERYBODY!!!

P.S. How is this patrol related?
It's not just WA screaming for sparky's the QLD coal mines are chasing them aswell , one of the blokes at work's son is a 4th apprentice sparky and landed a job at a coal mine about a month ago in from Emerald

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Oh OK.... Coal is very black though.... I much prefer red dust :) Would I be right in saying that a larger percentage of jobs in QLD and NSW mining are residential? Or am I wrong....

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts
Where are you willing to move to ? Interstate . I might know some if you are.
Or are you one of these people that think you'll get a fifo job ?

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
the big thing these days is safety statistics. Underground is very dangerous. You have pretty much zero chance of getting straight into it. you should aim for some surface mining experience first, or bigindustrial electrics at least.
A sparky I know got his start into big industry in a cereal packing factory.

·
Registered
nissan
11,208 Posts
Oh OK.... Coal is very black though.... I much prefer red dust :) Would I be right in saying that a larger percentage of jobs in QLD and NSW mining are residential? Or am I wrong....
black or red u still end up filthy at the end of a shift.
and alot of jobs are residential but im hoping to land a job soon where i just fly myself to where ever i need to work and fly home at the end of my week so to speak. and there are heaps of people doing the same thing. but im no expert and this is only an outside the industry observation. but seems alot of people just come and go for their roster and go home again could be 1000kms or more.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,710 Posts
Get in touch with WDS mining they usualy take on clean skins specialy trades like leckys, They usualy supply accomodation and meals. They contract out to a lot of pits in the bowen basin so wont be a big lifestyle change for you as you will probly be only 3-4 hrs away from work to home living in Rocky.

Mining - WDS Limited

try this website or search for wds,

As a Electrician you will need to do your hazardous area training.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,710 Posts
the big thing these days is safety statistics. Underground is very dangerous. You have pretty much zero chance of getting straight into it. you should aim for some surface mining experience first, or bigindustrial electrics at least.
A sparky I know got his start into big industry in a cereal packing factory.
What you see on TV is different to how it is with regards to underground mining. Australia are the leaders in underground mining safetey. I think it is a lot more dangerous to work open cut then Underground.
I would still rather work Underground coal mine than at a non unionised Construction or building site. Been there never go back.

·
Registered
nissan
11,208 Posts
I do agree underground mining isn't as dangerous as it sounds. It's come along way fro
The early days of underground mining. And I'd imagine there is lore injuries and stuff caused in open cut pits than underground.
As for jobs just have a look on seek. Though do you have a high voltage ticket? As I think from speaking to a mate this is the key to ur ticket in.
Also get onto sgs and ask for a bma surface and generics induction. Will help out a lot.

·
Registered
nissan
129 Posts
Try AusMining and Brodan Mine Management in Cairns or Christies People in Townsville.

Also JamesTech (not sure where they are, possibly Bris)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi all , just thort id let use know i landed a job. Working for leihberr in singleton. HV sparky on t282 trucks biggest ones in the world

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Congrats Adzy.

Hey Barnsey, that has to be the best profile pic ever.

Voids, 100% agree with you with non unionised construction. there's some shonky operators out there.

·
Registered
nissan
129 Posts
Hows the new job? :)
Finished up in Indonesia for a while, going to Koolan Island north of Derby WA for 3 months, then back to Asia.....not sure where yet..........hopefully not Mongolia.

Depends where the company needs me.

Back on this web site. Decided I need a Patrol to play with when I'm home.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
my god, your alive?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts