Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if my 2000 GU ZD30 is ok.
Driving up freeway from Adelaide to Mt Barker it was struggling to do 90 up those long hills...
We did have 7 people in it and I didn't turn overdrive off, which I probably should have...
How does anyone else go on freeway, or any long up hill road?

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,614 Posts
Just wondering if my 2000 GU ZD30 is ok.
Driving up freeway from Adelaide to Mt Barker it was struggling to do 90 up those long hills...
We did have 7 people in it and I didn't turn overdrive off, which I probably should have...
How does anyone else go on freeway, or any long up hill road?
That is one long steep hill that one, it does test the machines so I wouldn't be using it as a benchmark for my "trol" to judge if it is OK ... and yes ZD30 does feel underpowered in the stock form on any hill. Cheers

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,346 Posts
I regularly shoot up to Crafers and always do it in 3rd with the torque converter locked. That’s 3000rpm at 100km/h and EGT’s around 420c, but only me in the car.

A good mate popped his ZD30 Patrol doing just that. After fitting a new engine and EGT gauge, he tried it again and was horrified when he saw 650c plus on the gauge. Better to rev the engine a bit more than load it up in O/D. Also the transmission would have been very warm without converter lockup.

·
Registered
Nissan
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys, was my first run up the freeway in it, so wasn't sure. I will be getting EGT and boost gauge asap, damn Christmas is expensive...

·
Registered
nissan
4 Posts
My old man's old patrol blew up going up that hill, and on 30 plus degree days would not hold 100kph, the hotter the air the slower it went!
good luck with urs mate

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Go test drive another grenade, and go for a drive up there... see if its the same as yours.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,549 Posts
My parents tb42 gq would struggle to sit on 100kms up there aswell, it's just that bloody hill mate. I normally try an avoid the freeway even in the commodore.

Rick

·
Registered
nissan
101 Posts
Relax thats about normal. Wait till you go up Willunga Hill heading down to Victor, heartbreak hill in a 3t 3ltr :neutral:. Always plenty of nice scenery to look at..............

·
Registered
13 Posts
funny I came across this thread...

in-laws 02 3 litre auto has just started doing exactly the same thing :)
previously it would power up the hill, dropping out of overdrive for the really hilly bits only.

town to mt barker on monday it wouldn't do more than about 80kms and temp actually moved past it's normal 1/2.

in at the mechanics today, hopefully nothing major... but being an original engine and trans we'll see...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts