Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've had the GQ (Big Red) for 4 1/2 years now, can't complain at all EXCEPT about the relative lack of interior space. Being based on the ol' MQ body, Big Red (despite being a looong wagon) has a definite lack of legroom everywhere but the 3rd row. I'm 5'11" & with the front seats right back that's just right for me, but leaves only child-sized leg-room in the 2nd row. Seriously, I can't fit in there & even my (very large) 12yo son has difficulty fitting, to the point that he & his 10yo brother did our recent Fraser Is. trip in the 3rd row as it has much more room back there.
While I'm very loath to part with Big Red, having spent a great deal of time getting her to where I want her (mod.-wise), as a matter of practicality we're having to seriously consider updating to a GU. This would replace Wifey's Grand Carnival as the Family Mover (4 kids), I'd take over her little Rio as a commuter to work & back & we'd replace Big Red with something similar to the Rio for Wifey's school/shops/training/ballet runs, preserving the big car for weekends & trips. We've checked over a couple of GU's & there's masses more width & legroom in rows 1 & 2, 3 is about the same & luggage space is the same as the GQ.
Question is: is it worth spending 20G on an '03/'04 GU (realistically, swapping our 3yo Grand Carni. for one) sheerly for more space for our ever-growing family? I'm yet to be convinced but Wifey is more interested. What do you think?

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,874 Posts
WTF?! I'm 6'2" and have no probs in the old man's GQ - i don't even have the seat all the way back... Dad's 6'1" and i can sit behind him in relative comfort...

That said, the GU is better.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
For an all round tourer/commuter/weekend play toy Nissan got it pretty much right with the GU.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
So we've had the GQ (Big Red) for 4 1/2 years now, can't complain at all EXCEPT about the relative lack of interior space.
Question is: is it worth spending 20G on an '03/'04 GU (realistically, swapping our 3yo Grand Carni. for one) sheerly for more space for our ever-growing family? I'm yet to be convinced but Wifey is more interested. What do you think?
GU has less space for the driver than the GQ... And the Carni will have acres more room than a GU could dream of.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts