Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I assume from Nissan Australia's press crew recently..

I'm probably the only one here on the forum to think this, but I reckon it looks absolutely shi+ hot. I'd definitely buy one as long as its not too big and has a nice diesel engine. Just waiting for a review on how it steers.

It seems to have been coming for an awfully long time but finally Nissan has revealed the fresh new face, although it still has some lingering hints of the old one, that is the iconic Nissan Patrol.

Nissan claims the new Patrol resets the class benchmarks with its fresh styling, superior packaging, powerful but efficient V8 engine, clever off-road technologies and higher levels of luxury and comfort than ever before.
While it’s a claim that rival Toyota, with its LandCruiser would dispute, Nissan says that the Patrol has been the bedrock of the four-wheel-drive culture for nearly 60 years.

“The all-new Nissan Patrol continues the lineage of SUVs that has a reputation for reliability and durability,” says Dan Thompson, CEO of Nissan Australia.
“With its all-new chassis, all-new powertrain, all-new drivetrain, and the most luxurious and best-appointed interior yet, the all-new Nissan Patrol will set a new benchmark for the class.
“Not only will the all-new Nissan Patrol appeal to serious off-roaders, but its premium luxury features and technologies make an exceptionally strong case for it in the luxury 4×4 market,” he says.
“While the Australian arrival of the new generation Nissan Patrol is not imminent, we are preparing for its introduction with anticipation and, in the meantime, delighted to confirm the continuation of the existing generation GU series Nissan Patrol for the immediate future.”

The vehicle began production in Japan in 1951 and Nissan says the new Patrol is elevated to new on and off-road, performance paradigms.
The 2010 Australian International Motor Show will give visitors their first look at the new generation Patrol ahead of its local market launch once right hand drive production plans are confirmed some time in 2011.
Since 1960, when it was first sold in Australia, the Patrol has crafted a rich heritage and passionate following, as it has in arduous terrain environments around the world.
The original G60 Patrol has the notable distinction of being the first vehicle, in 1962, to successfully cross the gruelling Simpson Desert, firmly establishing its go anywhere credentials.
The all-new Nissan Patrol is a technological tour de force, even more capable, even more advanced, and well-equipped to challenge the largest, and most complete all-wheel drive SUVs.
It introduces a new platform, a radical design direction, significantly enhanced interior comfort and luxury, a powerful new V8 engine that Nissan claims has exceptional driveability, a new seven-speed automatic transmission, and a new ALLMODE 4wd system.
“The all-new Patrol is built with the high level of safety, performance and quality that characterises the Nissan brand,” said Carlos Ghosn, President and CEO of Nissan.
“We are confident that our flagship SUV will exceed all expectations.”
To overhaul its competitors, engineers working on the new Patrol project tuned and tested 200 prototypes for dynamic evaluation at the company’s Motegi, Oppama and Tochigi proving grounds in Japan before sending them to the Middle East for in-country testing.
An early prototype ‘mule’ was also tested in some of Australia’s most unforgiving desert conditions.
More than 40 Japanese engineers completed a total of 13,265 hours of testing in the heat and dust of the Middle East and Australia to assess the vehicle’s performance, durability and suitability for this key market.

The all-new exterior design is authentic to the Patrol heritage, yet mixes a contemporary feel with the expected level of ruggedness, delivering a commanding road presence.
Inside, the all-new Nissan Patrol is adorned with high-grade leather, polished aluminium and wood-grain panelling.
The seats are wider, higher and deeper in the front row than before, while second row passengers enjoy 100mm more legroom than the Patrol’s closest rival.
Structurally, the all-new Nissan Patrol sits on a completely new steel, ladder-frame chassis that now delivers twice the lateral rigidity of the previous model, resulting in more robust construction with a low vibration body.
The all-new Nissan Patrol is now the most powerful vehicle in its class, thanks to the new ‘VK56VD’ 5.6-litre V8 engine with VVEL (variable valve event and lift) and DIG (direct injection gasoline) technologies that generate 298kW and 560Nm.

Despite the substantial increase in performance, the new V8 engine is also up to 14 per cent more frugal than the engine it replaces, significantly reducing emissions.
A new seven-speed automatic transmission with Manual Shift Mode and a wider range of gear ratios than before enables the all-new Nissan Patrol to deliver power faster.
The transmission also features a variable lockup torque converter, a new improved shift map and also a new automatic transmission fluid warmer designed to reduce fuel consumption at start-up.
In a world-first, the all-new Nissan Patrol employs a Hydraulic Body Motion Control System (HBMC), which keeps the vehicle flatter with less body roll during lane changing and cornering, while delivering a comfortable ride in city driving, and superb stability on rugged and sandy tracks.

Another crucial part of handling equation comes from the new suspension hardware, which now employs four-wheel independent double wishbone suspension, upgraded from the previous rigid axle setup.
The all-new Nissan Patrol also offers a new Hill Start Assist and Hill Descent Control, selected at the touch of a button.
A revised more effective brake system also provides the best braking performance in its class.
Nissan has employed state-of-the-art safety technologies that help the driver to recover from dangerous conditions and minimise damage when a collision is unavoidable.
These technologies include Lane Departure Warning and Prevention, Intelligent Cruise Control, Distance Control Assist, Forward Collision Warning system, Vehicle Dynamic Control, Traction Control, Helical Brake Limited Slip Differential, a mechanical Differential Lock and Intelligent Brake Assist.
The all-new Nissan Patrol comes with six-airbags, front Seat Belt Pretensioners and Load Limiters and Active Head Restraints.

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,171 Posts
Not only will the all-new Nissan Patrol appeal to serious off-roaders...
Whilst I really do like Nissan (for 30 years now) over anything Toyota makes, I wish they wouldn't make crap statements like this.

Cheers

Ray

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,171 Posts
The new model actually has more...a lot more (275 vs 210)
Not really; this is the same argument used by the Poojammers etc That clearance is compared against the diff pumpkin on the live axle Patrols, which is the lowest point, but everything either side of the diff pumpkin is much higher.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is does give up to the GU is the approaching and departure angles, but still better than the 200. Dont know how the spare affects this and to what extent.

GU: GC, 210. app and dep: 37 and 31deg
2011: GC, 275. app and dep: 35 and 26 deg
200 LC: GC, 225. app and dep: 30 and 20 deg
Disco: GC, 240. app and dep: 37 and 28 deg

·
Slow But Reliable
nissan gq patrol
526 Posts
I'm not wrapped in the looks of it (much prefer the GU), but l'll reserve my final judgment until l see it with some mods (bar, wheels, lift etc). I thought the same of the 200 Series Cruiser, and l don't mind it now that l've seen some with basic mods.

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,623 Posts
it looks like a mazda 3 rear ended a pathfinder.

i really dislike the look if it, with a passion.
its way too plasticy and luxurious.

if i could affort it, i would not buy it.

my hot tip,
because its in conjunction with the 200 serious,
dont be suprised if you dont get much change from 80 grand.

·
Registered
nissan
90 Posts
It looks great up until the C pillar, then what is with the Ssanyong Style rear end and rear side windows. Looks like it has been designed by 2 different groups then they just joined the designs in the middle.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,218 Posts
I like it, but that white interior and all the electrics probably won't go great well with mud, dust, water etc. I think it'll be 4wd that you don't take off road, mainly reserved for rich horse fkrs to tow their horse floats around with.

·
Registered
nissan
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not really, as firstly the GU will continue to sell along side this. Besides, nissan are selling SFA GU's these days and they are not really in demand. Miles behind Prado, LC 200, LC 76 and pajero. Why else bring a new model out? I would love it to drive prices up, but realistically it will do the exact opposite.

·
Registered
GU IV 4.2
993 Posts
Doesn't look too bad. TILL YOU OPEN YOUR EYES! Looks just as s**t as the 200 IMO
Looks like a street 4WD. The kind that the gangsters in movies put big chromies on and lower it so much they have to drive around speed humps

·
Registered
728 Posts
The side view reminds me of an X Trail. Kind of like how the LC200 looks like a big Kluger.

1 - 20 of 251 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.