Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was just thinking, if one wanted to maximise torque output through a turbo upgrade ('06 4.2 TDI), rather than concentrating on increasing horsepower, how different would the turbo parts be? The reason I ask is because I rarely see 3000RPM onroad (offroad's another matter):) but living in mountainous Tassie, torque is really important.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,157 Posts
Hmmmmm..........

Ok, I am no expert, but I think you need to clarify things a bit here. I think that the biggest turbo you can bolt on will give you the largest torque figure, as well as horsepower, being that horsepower is a multiplication of torque.

Having said that, the driveability may not be very good, and I think that this is what you are referring to. So if you want a turbo that spools up at low revs and produces a flat torque curve then that is a different matter.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drivability is paramount. Maximum horsepower is not. Need it to spool up at low revs. Wouldn't use maximum power as I don't sit anywhere near redline.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
Best TD42T i ever drove was quite slow (not much quicker than a well tuned Atmo version to be honest) but had no lag whatsoever and didn't matter what gear you were in, put your foot down and it would just start pulling. It didn't feel stressed at all. Just felt like thats how it was meant to be.

Was a Safari turbo system AFAIK.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
chip+ 3"exhaust and it will spool lower
Cant chip a TD42Ti

I would PM Madrolla (Matt) on this forum as i believe he works for a Injection company in Perth who have a lot of experience in TD42 injection & Turbo modifications

Regards Don

·
Registered
378 Posts
well from my experience i changed from an axt turbo to a gt series bb turbo and set up to the same boost pressure my clutch would slip on acceleration that was just bolting the turbo on and went up hills with less throttle as well but that was ages ago and once the bug bites its hard to stop chasing more and more power (two injector pumps later):D

·
Registered
nissan patrol
587 Posts
Cant chip a TD42Ti

I would PM Madrolla (Matt) on this forum as i believe he works for a Injection company in Perth who have a lot of experience in TD42 injection & Turbo modifications

Regards Don
xD swore i read 3.0l

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
This is a fair enough post as i think the TD42Ti is a bit doughy down low given the capacity of the engine

Regards Don

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
It's not a turbo upgrade but would a diesel gas injection system do the job for you?

·
Registered
Nissan
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's not a turbo upgrade but would a diesel gas injection system do the job for you?
Probably OK if I intended to be near gas outlets all the while, but I don't.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The torque cam is interesting. Thought they were only available in NZ. Had a look at their site. Do you know if they have before and after dyno sheets?

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Sorry Slow, I simply thought about how you'd increase midrange torque on a petrol engine (I have lots of experience there), came up with cam regrinds as the best solution, and then Googled to see if the same applied to diesels :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
what mods do you already have slowzuki??? exhuast etc.

from reading & researching the gt2860-5 .63 would be the best low down torque along with getting it tuned & timed by someone that knows there stuff makes a "massive" difference.

russell

·
Registered
Nissan
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Zilch. I am canvassing my options thoroughly before making a start. Straight through 3" exhaust and dump will be first.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,157 Posts
I would do a few other things before looking at the turbo too.

Exhaust as you have mentioned, but I would go over the intake stuff too, such as intercooler and airbox. Both of these can be improved over factory. Then look at your boost levels, which will be quite low if still at factory specs.

Changing the turbo to a different one will not get the best results if you have other components which are not doing their job as good as they could be.

If it was me I would do this. Exhaust, airbox lid swap, dyno tune with boost increase. That may do all you need. Then a new intercooler after that.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Zilch. I am canvassing my options thoroughly before making a start. Straight through 3" exhaust and dump will be first.
i just run a full 3in exhuast, some fuel & timing mods 13pd boost it seems to get along fine good up hill & low range tracks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
are you running 4.11 ratio diffs pat??if so a set of 4.3's might suit your needs.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts