Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone like the title says Im looking to upgrade from a 2000 r50 pathfinder to a nissan patrol GU i cant afford are TD42 GU so that leaves me with the 2.8 and the 3ltr and thats where i start to worry.

I have seen more then a few stories about the 3ltr motors blowing and costing people $15.000 to repair for it to blow up again. so my question is which years should i avoid getting to lower the risk of this happening to me or is just are 50/50 chance ? I'm also aware there is are mod called NADS that helps lower the risk but wont stop the motor from going.

I dont do hardcore off roading the hardest i have ever done was Glasshouse and i was told the tracks i was on where medium skill even tho i though they where scary anyways my preferred transmission is auto if i was to get are patrol i would only be putting are 2 inch lift with 31 inch tires my budget is $16.000.

Cheers Matt

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
You could get into a 4.8 for that money. If you don't do a lot of k's that's a good option. Otherwise the early 2000-2002 were said to be the worst.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Yep painful..just depends on how many k's you do and whether or not you're towing.

3.0 - 12-17l/100 normal driving
4.8 - 19-30l/100 normal driving

If towing a lot forget it.

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep painful..just depends on how many k's you do and whether or not you're towing.

3.0 - 12-17l/100 normal driving
4.8 - 19-30l/100 normal driving

If towing a lot forget it.
wow and i thought my pathfinder was thirsty thanks the information guys but i think i might keep the pathfinder for little longer.

The 2004 patrols seem to be going between $18.000 to $20.000 so i might wait and see how much i get back from tax, it would be easy if i could sell the pathfinder but the better half wants to keep it :(.

·
Registered
nissan
98 Posts
Mate, I'm in the same boat as you.
I was set on a ZD30 for a while, and just thought "stuff it, I'll take the risk", the more I read the more I thought its probably better to get a 4.8 on Gas as it would offset my daily fuel price a bit. So that's where I am. My budget is not as big as yours, but I think i can get something fairly decent still.

There's always plenty for sale, so you should have no problem finding a decent one.

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mate, I'm in the same boat as you.
I was set on a ZD30 for a while, and just thought "stuff it, I'll take the risk", the more I read the more I thought its probably better to get a 4.8 on Gas as it would offset my daily fuel price a bit. So that's where I am. My budget is not as big as yours, but I think i can get something fairly decent still.

There's always plenty for sale, so you should have no problem finding a decent one.
come to think of it i do like the GU's a lot but between the 4.8 drinking more then some people do on a friday night and the early 3.0 blowing the motor Im starting to look towards are GQ with $16000 i should be able to get my self a pretty decent one.

On the upside i can get the 4.2 i always wanted if i can find one with are turbo already fitted it wont be auto but i could live with that.

·
Registered
nissan
383 Posts
Hey everyone like the title says Im looking to upgrade from a 2000 r50 pathfinder to a nissan patrol GU i cant afford are TD42 GU so that leaves me with the 2.8 and the 3ltr and thats where i start to worry.

I have seen more then a few stories about the 3ltr motors blowing and costing people $15.000 to repair for it to blow up again. so my question is which years should i avoid getting to lower the risk of this happening to me or is just are 50/50 chance ? I'm also aware there is are mod called NADS that helps lower the risk but wont stop the motor from going.

I dont do hardcore off roading the hardest i have ever done was Glasshouse and i was told the tracks i was on where medium skill even tho i though they where scary anyways my preferred transmission is auto if i was to get are patrol i would only be putting are 2 inch lift with 31 inch tires my budget is $16.000.

Cheers Matt
Any Patrol you choose over the 2000 Pathy will be an upgrade as far as potential for off-roading for strength and reliability under extreme circumstances that would stop your Pathy in its tracks, even with basic mods like 2" lift and 31" tyres.

GU will offer you some more refinements closer (and over) to your Pathy.

I wouldn't discount the 3.0l in the series IV. It responds well to mods like exhaust and a ECU chip and have much improved reliability over the early 3.0l models in 2000-2003.

Check this for a 3.0
2005 Nissan Patrol GU IV ST MY05

or

2006 Nissan Patrol GU IV ST MY05

let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
come to think of it i do like the GU's a lot but between the 4.8 drinking more then some people do on a friday night and the early 3.0 blowing the motor Im starting to look towards are GQ with $16000 i should be able to get my self a pretty decent one.

On the upside i can get the 4.2 i always wanted if i can find one with are turbo already fitted it wont be auto but i could live with that.

I love GQs but inside the GU is a much nicer place to be. You can't spend 16k on a GQ even if it does have the mighty td42. 10k fine but not 16k.

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is the car for? Weekends or daily?
The GU is a much better vehicle than the GQ.
The patrol would be used for back and forwards to work and around town doing this and that
and tracks on the weekends and holidays to Fraser and cape etc like i said i don't do any hardcore tracks or rock crawling.

The pathy is the wifes 4x4 and the patrol will be the family 4x4 / mine :p

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Both have 225k.. I can't see how your going to get past the next 30-50k without major repair costs on the 3.0.
What do you mean major repair cost ? is there something i need to know about the patrol at 260k ? now you have me worried since I'm up in air about patrols.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
What do you mean major repair cost ? is there something i need to know about the patrol at 260k ? now you have me worried since I'm up in air about patrols.

Just saying there is a better than average chance the zd30 of that year model may not make it to 260k+ without grenading. Not saying it definitely will, and no doubt someone will chime in soon to say theirs is ok, but there are a lot of examples that haven't made it. It's a costly repair that you should be aware of if your buying.

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just saying there is a better than average chance the zd30 of that year model may not make it to 260k+ without grenading. Not saying it definitely will, and no doubt someone will chime in soon to say theirs is ok, but there are a lot of examples that haven't made it. It's a costly repair that you should be aware of if your buying.
you guys have been very helpful i really appreciate it.

it seems I'm stuck between are rock and hard place, with my budget i don't see me getting anything without risking the engine from blowing i could get lucky and not have any problems but i could also be one of the unlucky ones and that's something i don't want to risk.

I think i might wait a little longer and save some more money it might go pass my budget a bit but at least ill have piece of mind that ill be getting something reliable.

Cheers Matthew

·
Registered
nissan
777 Posts
I just put a deposit on this 2003 4.8 auto with 200k for $11500, previous owner had it for 10 years and it drives like a car. Needs new tyres but im going to put 33's on it anyway, otherwise very clean and a great base to start with.

Its on gas and has a long range 70L sub tank, from the info I received it uses 22/100 lpg and 16.5/100 petrol on the highway and 25/100 and 18/100 around town. Good for 800km range without stopping.

Im thinking about ripping the gas out and running straight petrol, im pretty happy with those figures. No way did I ever consider a 3.0, every second one on gumtree has a new engine right through the years upto the 2007 CRD.

The cheapest 4.2 I could find had 400,000km and needed body work and a respray, and they still wanted $16000, thats a lot of fuel to pour into the 4.8.

·
Registered
nissan
98 Posts
Eaglebay - What a cracking deal. Your price range is pretty much my budget. You did real well with that purchase.
Some blokes are asking ridiculous amounts with 300thou kms +
Makes me laugh....

I would not even consider a GQ anymore. i do like them on the outside but they are very very dated on the inside. The GU is so much nicer.

I sold my 4x4 on Friday (little vitara, fully set up) and am now seriously on the market. I'm going with the 4.8, and looking at around 200-250 thou kms. I think the idea when looking is not to be in a rush, and wait for just the right car to come by. In the meantime, it just means you have to catch the train to work :p

·
Registered
nissan
777 Posts
Cheers oosham, I have been looking for around 3/4 months, and know exactly what you mean regarding overpriced bomb's.
This one has been on gumtree for a few weeks, advertised for 13000, he wanted 12000 so I offered 11500. Wasnt originally interested as I was looking for a manual, but changed my mind and glad I did
Keep looking as something will pop up, it helps if its been for sale for awhile as they're usually willing to accept a lower price

Enjoy the train rides haha

1 - 20 of 21 Posts