Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gday guys just blocked my egr tonight. have been doing abit of reading with regards to cleaning throttle body after blocking. there has been abit of talk about upper engine cleaner, 'subaru upper engine cleaner' and the like.

what are my options, should i use a upper engine cleaner or should i just remove throttle body and give it a clean? what are your opinions?

thanks in advance

cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
731 Posts
gday guys just blocked my egr tonight. have been doing abit of reading with regards to cleaning throttle body after blocking. there has been abit of talk about upper engine cleaner, 'subaru upper engine cleaner' and the like.

what are my options, should i use a upper engine cleaner or should i just remove throttle body and give it a clean? what are your opinions?

thanks in advance

cheers
Hi chuckles..... if you decide to remove all the intake and clean the gunge out, petrol and a bit of elbow grease will dissolve/remove this black ****. The intake ports, if you get that far, just make certain the valves are both closed when 'cleaning each one out'. I scourced new intake manifold gasket etc from SMS Diesel Spares --- Nissan was over the $100 mark and SMS was $19. Same s/steel black coating gasket..

My 2 bobs worth

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi chuckles..... if you decide to remove all the intake and clean the gunge out, petrol and a bit of elbow grease will dissolve/remove this black ****. The intake ports, if you get that far, just make certain the valves are both closed when 'cleaning each one out'. I scourced new intake manifold gasket etc from SMS Diesel Spares --- Nissan was over the $100 mark and SMS was $19. Same s/steel black coating gasket..

My 2 bobs worth
cheers felix, the most i was really going to do was remove the throttle body and give it a clean. as for the rest of the internals, i am interested to see if there is an easy way out of cleaning the insides without delving too deep without knowing what your looking at (not very mechanically minded)

cheers mate

brad

·
Registered
757 Posts
i would be careful using any of those upper engine cleaners as all the gunk they remove must pass through the cylinders on it way out the exhaust system.
For those who have seen and felt how hard that build up can be that cleaner would want to be pretty powerful stuff to desolve it all so it doesnt cause any cylinder damage..
I know they say they work but will they cause any long term damage.
i would rather remove and clean the inlet manifold by hand.

·
Registered
nissan
146 Posts
i would be careful using any of those upper engine cleaners as all the gunk they remove must pass through the cylinders on it way out the exhaust system.
For those who have seen and felt how hard that build up can be that cleaner would want to be pretty powerful stuff to desolve it all so it doesnt cause any cylinder damage..
I know they say they work but will they cause any long term damage.
i would rather remove and clean the inlet manifold by hand.
+1...

I removed it all and cleaned it with a concentrated citrus degreaser... Worked surprizingly well. With just a few squirts and a brush, it all came off.

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info fellas. I've got some citra force at home so I'll give that a Burl

cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.