Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I'm currently in Geraldton with radiator issues that are pointing to a head gasket. We are towing a 2.2 tonne off-road van heading north and the Patrol is also heavily laden. Coming over the ranges towards Margaret River and the ECUtalk was measuring 98 C and climbing – usually runs btwn 86-94 C. Had the car serviced when in Perth and asked them to check it all. Coolant was low in holding tank. They pressure tested it, topped the coolant and tightened all the clamps, giving it the all clear, suggesting only evaporation for the loss of coolant.

As we were heading north, I got the radiator rodded anyway for peace of mind, but during that process they found some blistering in the tanks – but otherwise it was clean as a whistle, no blocks. Ended up buying a new radiator. Next day, ECUtalk gauge was hotter than before running towards 100 C, towing on flat road – Nissan temp gauge in middle of range. WTF? When idling ECUtalk ran up to 116C. Topped up with coolant and took it back to radiator place who added a further 1.5L of coolant & retested pressure ok, no visible leaks. Kept travelling keeping it under 100C and topping up the tank a couple of litres each time. Rang radiator place again who advised to keep going to their Geraldton store and travel with heater and air conditioner on and turn back holding tank radiator cap half a turn so system does not pressurise. Ran heaps better but pharking hot inside car, even with widows down. One of the times I pulled over at around 96C, thermo fan was not on, but came on around 100C. By the end there was expelled coolant all over the inside of the wheel arch, where it had been expelled from the overflow - according to the radiator bloke.

Today put my hand over exhaust at start up. Apart from the little puff of black smoke, no water hit my hand. Oil on dipstick looks ok and water in radiator holding tank looks ok, although its a little hard to see properly through the slightly opaque plastic tank. Car 'seems' to be a little down on power since the service at Perth but otherwise runs smoothly. No white smoke.

Around 6,000km ago had injectors replaced and they found a cracked glow insert, but car was running A1 at that point, so don't think that is related??

History - had car since new, ZD30DI 2005, 130,000km, full Nissan service history with regular coolant flushes etc as evidenced by clean state when rodded. NADS only recently done with 3” dump and pipe, remapped Dtronic chip, blocked egr, cross country intercooler, gauges etc. Have noticed high under bonnet temperatures on turbo side when towing van – is this expected with bigger pipe and more fuel? Nissan temp gauge has never budged from middle reading.

The radiator guy in Geraldton tested and said blown head gasket, as constant bubbles in holding tank with their funnel apparatus on. Reckoned there was no other place for the air bubbles to come than from than the head.

Any suggestions on where I can get this properly diagnosed in Geraldton? It's Easter next week and the weekend now, so timing is not great. There was some suggestion in another thread that it could be a leak in the suction side of the water pump from one of the 20 hoses there, although that was a 2.8L post.

Is it likely I can get some compensation from Nissan who gave it the all clear in Perth after the service (have it in writing) or the radiator place which fitted the new radiator and did all the testing? Or is it just a case of copping it sweet. By the way, I am NOT the handy type so will need to take it to a garage somewhere? Thanks

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
Hi Mikees,
Midwest auto group are the Nissan Dealer in Geraldton. They sorted out my CRD after a bad tank of Diesel from what I 100% believe was from the Caltex in Canarvon. Fill up at the Peak servo in town when you go through Canarvon.

Midwest autos are opposite the Target/Coles complex in Gerro. They have some good mechanics working there. See what they think of it. It does sound from what you have said that the head gasket has blown or you have a hairline crack in the head forcing hot exhaust gas into the cooling system. This super heats the coolant for you and forces the fluid out through the overflow.

I hope that is all it is for you.

The caravan park at Drummond cove is not too bad and used to be one of the better ones there. With Gerro the further from town you stay the better at night as some locals can be a bit restless if you get my drift.

Hope all goes well and you are back on the road soon.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
1,610 Posts
Hey mate, unfortunatly i think you will have to cop it on the chin.
A head gasket isnt something you can just check with a service. similar if it spun a big end bearing or similar, they weren't to know.
The radiator joint will just say it was fine when it left, and will probably replace the radiator but that would be it.
If you regularly tow the big van and load the patrol up id recommend up grading your radiator with some smaller thermo's on the front, just in case.
The bigger pipes wouldnt create more heat, surface area increase helps dissipate radiant heat, although some heat shielding wouldn't go astray.
Hope you get this sorted.
Steve

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
What he siad ^.

Exactly the same thing happend to mine last year. Good luck in getting some one to pay for the stuff up. I think you will have to just cop it on the chin mate.

What were your EGT's like Mike?

My EGT's were normal when my head was cracked & power was mormal.

As usual the awesome Nissan temp gauge would not move past half way. That was sarcasim by the way...............Bloody useless Nissan gauge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope all ends well for you mate.

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,957 Posts
iv seen my temp gauge over half, its pretty accurate actually. i tried an after market gauge and it read the same, so i haven't bothered fitting one yet.

Really feel bad for you mate, iv owned unreliable cars before (discovery) its gut-wrenching. just that fear as you drive down the road and you can feel its not quite right, the knowledge that this is really going to cost you. . . . and for nothing. my disco used to give me coldsores it stressed me so much.

My genuine sympathy mate.

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
You will have to pay. As said it's not something you can really predict is going to happen.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What he siad ^.

What were your EGT's like Mike?
Hope all ends well for you mate.
Helmsy, EGTs were fairly normal around 220 I think I saw a few times, chooffing along at 80 clicks towing, trying to keep the heat down. My head was pretty much fixated on the ECUtalk temp gauge though.

Might try Nissan on for warranty, given the full service history and the service just a few days ago, where I asked them to check it and they gave it the all clear. They are supposed to be the experts after all. 133,000km is way too low for this sort of problem. They may contribute in some way ... maybe. Mods will make it a bit tricky.

Is it possible the head gasket could be damaged during the injector replacement?

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
no not possible and when u took it in for service what did u askk for

·
Registered
nissan patrol
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exactly the same thing happend to mine last year.
So what sort of dollars are we looking at for a fix ... might save a coronary when I hear it face to face. And how long might it take to fix provided I can get someone to fix it? Thanks

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
last one i did with radiator egr pipe injectors new head etc i think come to about 4000 would have to check my invoice book

·
Registered
nissan patrol
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no not possible and when u took it in for service what did u askk for
Grubbies, I said I was concerned about the high radiator temperatures and the low level of coolant in the holding tank. My tax invoice says "client concerned with coolant overflow bottle low. Topped up and pressure tested. Tightened all clamps and ensured no leaks"

This car has had 4 pressure tests recently by 3 diff companies and still no indication. WTF? Shouldn't that indicate a leak?

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
yes but they cant be held liable, would u pay for them to remove head on a wim did u go back to nissan dealership after the first time or did u go to radiator place.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Grubbies

1. Car service, asked to check cooling system. Given all clear.
2. Contingency measure, got radiator rodded, but ended up replacing radiator
3. Next day, towing van to Geraldton, overheating worse than before.

I would have expected Nissan, being the experts in these matters, to raise this as a possibility and a risk and ask me if I wanted to proceed on a pay as you go basis. Giving it the all clear is liable in my view.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
So what sort of dollars are we looking at for a fix ... might save a coronary when I hear it face to face. And how long might it take to fix provided I can get someone to fix it? Thanks
The damage to my motor was more than just the head, I had bad scoring in 3 bores. I bit the bullet & went a new long motor.

I have a brand new bare head for sale, its in the forsale section for 1k if your interested mate.

As for time frame, I cant comment as I had more than the head replaced, If you do an exchange (if available), maybe a couple days or upto a week?

Grubbies and the likes will be able to give a better estimate on cost & time line mate.

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
why replace radiator if it wasnt leaking. did u contact nissan after u lost more water a 1 off fault to them legally u dont have a case im sorry. yes they probably should of said it possibly a head problem but at this stage they dont know, and then asked if u wanted to pay 1500 odd bucks to remove head and hope to find something.

·
Registered
nissan GUII 2001
63 Posts
Hi Mike,
SORRY to hear!
Good luck with Nissan, mine was similar but no major warning signs, looking back small amount of white smoke on startup hardly noticed, serviced 3 weeks earlier and checked coolant level 1 week before getting ready for Christmas holiday then one big boooof of white smoke. Nissan blamed me for overheating should check daily LOL.(who does?)
Cracked head (exchanged reco head) + extras $6k. Unfortunately took that to find this site and NADS.
Mine took 2 weeks but had to wait to get head checked as was closed for holiday.

Helmsy, EGTs were fairly normal around 220 I think I saw a few times, chooffing along at 80 clicks towing, trying to keep the heat down. My head was pretty much fixated on the ECUtalk temp gauge though.

Might try Nissan on for warranty, given the full service history and the service just a few days ago, where I asked them to check it and they gave it the all clear. They are supposed to be the experts after all. 133,000km is way too low for this sort of problem. They may contribute in some way ... maybe. Mods will make it a bit tricky.

Is it possible the head gasket could be damaged during the injector replacement?

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Nissan dealers don't have Grubbies doing every car that goes through the doors - they have apprentices doing much of the work. You can't rely on them to notice unusual symptoms, or apply deductive reasoning based on previous experiences - because they haven't got enough under the belt yet.

On Friday I took mine into a Nissan dealer for some follow-up work from the last service - one of the things listed on the service invoice was to machine the rear rotors and replace pads. I knew this was required because both my rear brakes went down to metal and scored the discs (41,000km on the odo) and I had to go to a Repco and buy/fit some pads to tide me over until I got it sorted properly.

When I dropped it in I said I wanted the rear pads kept, as I will re-surface them and chuck them in the spares kit. I got them back ok, but when I went over the receipt on Friday night I found that all they did was throw a new set of pads in without machining the rotors - this despite the scoring being very visible even through the wheel... so they took a clearly brand new set of pads out, put another set in, and charged me $138 for the priviledge.

Can't expect guys like that to thing too deeply about what might be going on deep inside the engine...

Hope you get it sorted with minimal cost and disruption.

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
Nissan dealers don't have Grubbies doing every car that goes through the doors - they have apprentices doing much of the work. You can't rely on them to notice unusual symptoms, or apply deductive reasoning based on previous experiences - because they haven't got enough under the belt yet.

On Friday I took mine into a Nissan dealer for some follow-up work from the last service - one of the things listed on the service invoice was to machine the rear rotors and replace pads. I knew this was required because both my rear brakes went down to metal and scored the discs (41,000km on the odo) and I had to go to a Repco and buy/fit some pads to tide me over until I got it sorted properly.

When I dropped it in I said I wanted the rear pads kept, as I will re-surface them and chuck them in the spares kit. I got them back ok, but when I went over the receipt on Friday night I found that all they did was throw a new set of pads in without machining the rotors - this despite the scoring being very visible even through the wheel... so they took a clearly brand new set of pads out, put another set in, and charged me $138 for the priviledge.

Can't expect guys like that to thing too deeply about what might be going on deep inside the engine...

Hope you get it sorted with minimal cost and disruption.
i agree there i was at a nissan dealership for 13 yrs and i started my apprenticeship with them however i was rebuilding gearboxes and shyte in my second year but apprentices coming through after that 90 % of them i wouldnt feed never loan pay.

·
Registered
nissan safari
70 Posts
Grubbies

1. Car service, asked to check cooling system. Given all clear.
2. Contingency measure, got radiator rodded, but ended up replacing radiator
do you have the details on the new radiator you fitted?

we had alot of trouble with aftermarket radiators sold in NZ (by nissan as well) in safaris a we while back
the main problem was bigger tubes & less fins making them less and giving people all kinds of over heating problems

1 - 20 of 52 Posts