Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My mate has accidently pulled on the clutch fork when replacing the boot. It sits out around 30 - 40mm too far and is not on its pivot ball, how do you get it back in place? Tap it?

uploadfromtaptalk1405602778480.jpg

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
You can do it without pulling the box out, I did mine in about 5-10mins. I think I was lucky & got it lined up using a screw driver & pushing it in with the spring lined up. Looking at that pic the spring ends on the fork need clipping back in with a thin screw driver or coat hanger wire.

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,230 Posts
Keep messing around with it it'll go back in.
Good luck.

·
Registered
nissan
139 Posts
As others have said you can can get it all back into place using a torch and a screw driver, I have done it successfully, but I've also been caught out as well.

I had the same issue, however it happened without me knowing when i reinstalled the engine after a clutch change.

Long story short, while it all looked good through the fork hole after relocating the fork and clip, I started the engine and tried to use the clutch the pedal was soft and did not travel far enough to get into or out of gear with the engine running. Occasionally you would also hear a slight squeak like a dry bearing spinning. Start the truck in gear and it drove fine till you tried a gear change.

Had me baffled so i pulled the engine out, turns out the bearing and carrier had rotated 180 degrees and the clutch fork was pushing on the outside of the bearing as opposed the two locator pads on the bearing carrier (so the squeaking noise). Of course I'd tried aligning it all a couple of times, running the engine and pushing the pedal and so had actually worn two bearing shape grooves into the fork tips.

$20 for a secondhand fork (I reckon it was tighter around the bearing carrier then my old one two) and she's all good again.

And bugger me if you do a clutch on a GQ, it takes 12 easy hours for one man with two jack stands and a 750kg engine crane to pull the engine and change it on a concrete floor. There was just no way i could do it the other way and pull the box out on my own.

I suggest if you are not 100% familiar with the clutch arrangement look at an exploded view of the fork, bearing carrier and retainer spring so you are absolutely sure all is aligned correctly when working through the bell housing fork hole as suggested.

·
Registered
nissan
91 Posts
If need extreme self-control and some laparoscopic tools special designed to put back the retainer wire spring ...
But , I guess it can be done . If you are a calm person ...

I changed clutch alone far away from home , using two car jacks , two rachet staps and minimum of tools - on the side of the road . Took me all afternoon , but nothing heroic in this ...clutch still works ok ...

·
Registered
nissan
17 Posts
If need extreme self-control and some laparoscopic tools special designed to put back the retainer wire spring ...
But , I guess it can be done . If you are a calm person ...

I changed clutch alone far away from home , using two car jacks , two rachet staps and minimum of tools - on the side of the road . Took me all afternoon , but nothing heroic in this ...clutch still works ok ...
Wow thats a fair effort. Im guessing that you have done a clutch before?

·
Registered
nissan
91 Posts
Well , for daytime I look and act like a ordinary custom carpenter . In the rest i'am a daily Patrol driver , for long times and long roads , end we - driver and car - seen and done whatever road and moment put in front of eyes and wheels .

Before Patrol was a ARO ( ... google .... ) - a car who turn anyone in a basic mechanic since a maintenace time is equal or more than driving time , next was a Dacia 1304 - a little pickup , ended front broken badly , after abusing in mountain trips ( I'm a rivermen living on Danube but I love mountains instead ) .

So nothing new changing Patrol clutch when a spring escaped from springs clutch plates ( ... ARO forged my soul with a great must-fix-an-any-circumstance ... friends call across the country to ask ...I know my cars in any detail ) ... ... gearbox not even thouch ground , just a 10 cm spaced from engine block ... My car is a K260 LWB , RD28 TD , but i put coils and axels from a 2005 GU - a ideal for work and ( never long enough ) mountain trips . Is the mos safe car I ever seen , and I know what to do for solve issues , but ... little to no issues at Patrol ... I learned more continuous improving my Patrol ...

·
Registered
nissan
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies

Seen as he needed it drive able in 24 hrs without a question of weather we could pull it off we opted to pay a mechanic to pull the box and replace the clutch fork pivot ball spring as it was shagged. Dropped it off at 3.30pm and he worked till 12.10am (yes middle of the night) and vowed to never do another haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts