Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!!

Was changing my fuel filter and all was good, although a bit tight to remove, I got it off and removed the water sensor and drain valve. According to the gregorys manual there is a flat sided seal that sits on the thread between the filter and the filter head. Well that seal wasn't on the head, but I found one on the inside of the old filter. Stuck to the inside wall just touching the bottom threaded section. Looked like it was sucked in and then glued itself there.
Photo #1 Is looking from the bottom throught the filter up to the thread. You can see a piece of the seal jutting out a bit.
IMG_1760.jpg

Photo # 2 Is the top view, you can just see the seal at the base of the thread.
IMG_1759.jpg

Is it that the old filter used to have this seal inside itself or has it actually sucked in the filter heads seal?? Because my new filter does not have a seal. Do I need to contact Nissan for the original seal??

Please help as my bonnet is up and engine is getting dusty. HAHA!!! But mainly I can't reinstall the filter until I know what to do.

Cheers,
Liam

·
Registered
Nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some new filters come with a new small
Flat sided seal not sure if genuine or ryco that does.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks mate!

Well I use the Ryco ones and this new one does not have a seal on the inside. Just the usual sealing ring on top and a new one to replace the old ring at the water sensor section.

So I'm confused. Suppose I'll go to Nissan on Monday. :(

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
These are some pics of mine from a while back for instructional purposes showing the 4 seals in their positions, I had a problem once where the small seal on the water trap valve moved and gave me a small leak. You must get this right, sucking air through bad seals long term can result in IP damage:

P1080346.jpg

P1080355.jpg

P1080357.jpg

P1080349.jpg

·
Registered
Nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks GEEYOUTOO!!

That last photo is the seal that has somehow been pushed/sucked/forced into the old filter.

Is it a Nissan part or can I order online?

Cheers for the post mate!!

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
You can get it from Nissan, but if you live in a very populated area you may also be able to pick up one from an engineering supply store like Pirtek etc.

That last one can also cause a lot of issues if it is not in place, it is also the one most commonly lost/dislodged during a filter change :(.

Just noticed you live in Karratha :), lots of engineering supply places there (even a decent "O" ring would get you out of trouble in the short term) but also a dealer from memory.....

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
I buy 5 at a time from the Dealer, about 2 bucks a pop.

I dont muck around with seals now, especially with fuel filters on the ZD beast, it ends up biting you on the butt Ive learned, and makes your wallet do back flips at the thought of opening :)

·
Registered
Nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys!!

I will get in touch with Nissan Parts here in town tomorrow. Should be apples!!

I appreciate everyones help!! :iconbana:

LPS

·
Registered
Nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey all!!
Finally got the filter and seal sorted. The nissan store in town had a bunch of the seals needed and went straight home and hooked it all up.
The problem is that there was still white smoke and was hard to start, as normal. So I guess I now have to get those glow plugs firing. As the cool weather up here doesnt seem to be ending.

Thanks alot for all your help previously.

LPS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts