Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today whilst getting my suspension done at a local shop they found massive rust holes near the crossmember near the gear box, i only just bought this car 1 week ago, the bloke who did the rwc didnt sound like he wanted much of it but agreed to come have a look tomorrow at it and go from there
What i wanna know is,
I know his resonable because he signed off on the rwc
But what do i do if he says his not fixing it?
What can i say/do? Ive called vic roads they basically said he needs to fix it and if he dosnt agree then i need to get a second rwc done and prove whats wrong.
Fingers crossed i get a new chassis
Not real keen on getting it fixed id rather a new chassis
Anyone got there opionin on how to go about this

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
21,498 Posts
I would not be taking it back there for him to "fix it" If he passed it to begin with he will more then likely just bodge it up to pass...

It is sort of your fault regardless for not noticing it when you brought it.. but anyway but lets not play the blame game.

If it was me i'd be asking around to find the most anal rwc inspector around and get them to do there magic and pin the blame back on the original inspector for passing it and hopefully they would foot the bill for said chassis swap?

·
Registered
Nissan
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did look but unless your under it on the hoist with a good light having a really good look you wouldnt see it. Came with a rwc so i wasnt as anal as i have been in the past when buying cars with out

Engineers looking tomorrow to assess it, and the mechanic is going to look aswell
From what ive been told the mechanic dosnt have a choice, he gave the rwc to an unroad worthy vechical
Am i right?
Anyone dealt with a situation like this before?

·
Registered
Nissan
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why wouldnt a chassis swap happen?
This happened to my friend with a hilux, same thing rusted chassis noticed when he got home, mechanic replaced it.
he just lives in NT now and i dont have his number to ask him mkre about it

·
Registered
Nissan
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry when i say new chassis i mean a second hand coil cab one to suit mine.. theres actaully one local ill mention to the mechanic.
Id rather not have welds on my chassis even if it is engineered, i think that would make the trol a repairable write off? Second hand chassis wouldnt be a repairable write off if im correct? Or atleast if it was it wouldnt sound as bad

·
Registered
Nissan
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry when i say new chassis i mean a second hand coil cab one to suit mine.. theres actaully one local ill mention to the mechanic.
Id rather not have welds on my chassis even if it is engineered, i think that would make the trol a repairable write off? Second hand chassis wouldnt be a repairable write off if im correct? Or atleast if it was it wouldnt sound as bad

·
Registered
nissan
2,863 Posts
Depending what state you're in,
To my knowledge in NSW for example there are no repairable write-offs any more, it's all stat write-offs.

Chassis repairs aren't that uncommon, and provided it's done correctly, isn't a problem.

I'm sure there's a few motor body builders on here that could confirm or provide more info.

·
Registered
Nissan
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Talked to an engineer today, its repairable. Surprisingly didnt think these things could
The dodgy mechanic who did the rwc reckons he will weld a plate there...
I said no ill get it done professionally and send you the bill
Should have the car back thursday with wheels and lift

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
What Softy said ^, get the most anal s.o.b to go over it.

A new chassis won't happen, no chance in hell sorry to tell you. They will sooner write the vehicle off.
Don't they repair chassis' in crashed vehicles? Whether it's worth doing it or not in terms of cost is another story. I thought badly damaged or rusted chassis' get written off 'cos of the cost of the repair ain't worth it, not necessarily 'cos of structural weaknesses of repaired chassis'??!!

It would be interesting to find out how the OPs vehicle cross member developed a rust hole while the other parts of the chassis is intact. It's well worth finding out.

·
Registered
Nissan
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All fixed now, 380 bucks for an engerineer to make it look like new again, cant even tell. The dodgy mechanic paid aswell
I got the engerineer to look over the whole chassis and make sure there were no other spots and he said its all perfect. Also had my mechanic and the guys doing suspension look over it and its all sweet.
All think that there must of been mud stuck up there for a long time

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
All fixed now, 380 bucks for an engerineer to make it look like new again, cant even tell. The dodgy mechanic paid aswell
I got the engerineer to look over the whole chassis and make sure there were no other spots and he said its all perfect. Also had my mechanic and the guys doing suspension look over it and its all sweet.
All think that there must of been mud stuck up there for a long time
Yeah, 'cos it is the cross member, it can't be that catastrophic.

Engineers look at them and write reports or give you an opinion.

How did you get an engineer to repair it? It's usually not their domain.

·
Registered
nissan
2,863 Posts
Don't they repair chassis' in crashed vehicles? Whether it's worth doing it or not in terms of cost is another story. I thought badly damaged or rusted chassis' get written off 'cos of the cost of the repair ain't worth it, not necessarily 'cos of structural weaknesses of repaired chassis'??!!

It would be interesting to find out how the OPs vehicle cross member developed a rust hole while the other parts of the chassis is intact. It's well worth finding out.
Yep chassis are repaired in wrecked cars often, Many cars even have chassis sections as a spare part you can purchase. Brand new chassis assembly as a whole though I don't believe I've ever seen sold, certainly not as a spare part.
Random tidbit, Holden commodores you could actually order a "body in white" spare part. This was essentially a bare shell with chassis rails. From memory cost was about 8K back in the day. Though you'd be swapping trims, suspension, harness, plumbing, everything over, so financially it's not viable as a repair option.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Today whilst getting my suspension done at a local shop they found massive rust holes near the crossmember near the gear box, i only just bought this car 1 week ago, the bloke who did the rwc didnt sound like he wanted much of it but agreed to come have a look tomorrow at it and go from there
What i wanna know is,
I know his resonable because he signed off on the rwc
But what do i do if he says his not fixing it?
What can i say/do? Ive called vic roads they basically said he needs to fix it and if he dosnt agree then i need to get a second rwc done and prove whats wrong.
Fingers crossed i get a new chassis
Not real keen on getting it fixed id rather a new chassis
Anyone got there opionin on how to go about this
Hi I have the same issue with my patrol. Are you able to tell me where you had it fixed please

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
19,881 Posts
Hi I have the same issue with my patrol. Are you able to tell me where you had it fixed please
Ole mate hasn’t been on here for a while, try a PM.
Last seen Oct 29, 2018

1 - 18 of 18 Posts