Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked and I don't think I posted this truck on here before. If I did spank me!

1983 MQ Patrol, hails from Germany and is left hand drive
lives in the USA at my home!
SD33 n/a diesel on 24v

She started out as your run of the mill Euro Patrol. Small C200 rear diff with factory LSD. 4spd tranny, no turbo, 4.11 diffs.

I bought the truck in 2004 from the 2nd owner for the measly price of $1500 cash! FYI, this model of Patrol was never sold in the USA. In fact we haven't had a Patrol sold here since 1969! So it is very rare in the USA, especially being SWB, diesel and LHD. I parked the truck as it had motor issues and other issues. I began to research the truck and round up some parts. Well turns out the old diesel motor was in ok shape just needed some love! I rebuilt the injectors, fixed leaky fuel lines, changed the filter and put in new glow plugs. She runs good since I gave her some love! The other issues were addressed and fixed. I put some 16" steel spokers on it with some old but aggresive 34" rubber. I wheeled the truck like this for two years and began to like it a lot!

So about 3yrs ago I started rounding up parts for the truck and a future build up. I purchased PTO winches and boxes from New Zealand. I picked up a 5spd and new x-fer. I got Yuri 4x4 in Aus. to build me a new H233 rear diff set up with ARB locker and 4.6's. I also bought from him a set of H233 front CV that he has strengthened. I kept buying parts and rounding things up till the time came to take the truck to the fab shop. We had planned on just doing a SoA on a budget with f&r lockers plus fit the 5spd. Well that changed to doing a triangulated 4 link in the rear and a 3 link front. We decided on having it all ride on 12" Fox air shocks. The wheelbase was stretched for the stock 93" to a sweet 106"! Front went forward 3" and rear back 10".

So after many moons in the shop the truck was nearly trail ready. She has freshly rebuild f&r diffs both geared to 4.6. Full rebuild on the tranny & x-fer. We used a Exedy Safari Tuff clutch from a 4.2TD and it is an 11". Rear diff got a disc brake conversion. Both diffs locked with ARBs. New 20 gal aluminum fuel cell in the bed. And well just a bunch of other stuff. I picked up the truck 1st week in March and went on down to AZ, USA. Myself and an Aussie friend hooked up with 20 other Nissan trucks for a week of offroading in the AZ desert. The truck performed awesome! It is fully sick!

Few issues though....
The new but stock tranny mounts are not going to work. We broke one in half so going to re-do tranny mounts using something much better than stock rubber. Gearing is ok for normal off-roading but sucks in rocks. So looking to have a Klune or similar crawl box fitted. Flogged a front link which is made from 2"x1/4" tube. Also flogged a tie rod made from 1.5"x1/4" tube. Both being replaced with solid aluminum bars. Going to step it up to 38's from the 35's because the 35's just seem puny to me! Will fit new 16" Fox shacks at that time and new beadlocks too. Around the same time we are going to do a hydro assist on the truck using the stock MQ box. Should help with the steering in the rocks and make life a but easier on the box. There are more plans in the works but for now this is good!

here is pics of the truck before mods began....

day 1 of the truck

after new tires and rims...

We chopped the rear quarters and fitted the PTO winch plus rear tire carrier. Modded tire carrier to hold the high rise. For the PTO we removed all the steering relay junk and then pushed the PTO winch all the way back up against the #1 cross member. Had to cut and shorten PTO shaft and enlarge hole for shaft in #1 x-member.

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well then she went off to the fab shop and came back a completely new truck!

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So like I said I took the old girl on down to Arizona. And here is the work she did!

For now that is about it. Like I mention working on 38's, beadlocks, 16" shocks, crawl box and some other things. Just purchased an 1984 MQ with a SD33T for parts. It is on 12v so plan to use the motor from it and convert my truck to 12v. The motor though is going to get heavily modded. Going to try and get a lot out of the old diesel!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thats awesome...nice transformation mate, i was thinking that the good ole US of A didnt get patrols!! made yourself a VERY capable truck...and as for the engine....get rid of the ol oil burner and stuff one of your good old fashioned cast iron hunks of v8 into it :D:D

Now that would be great!!

Top ***** mate!

Cheers
Jarryd

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey thanks! I love the old diesel though. She has nothing but a straight pipe now and is very loud. People have no idea what it is because there is no turbo whine! I love it!

But I think I can coax a bit over 200hp out of the old SD33. We'll see!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Tell me some more about your airshocks. I am thinking about some 2.5" 12" travel ones on my SWB BJ70. How are they on road. Did you set up the valving or are they at the factory valving. Do the rear ones come up into the rear of the body, or sit under the body.

Looks great by the way, the simpliciy of airshocks looks good.

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GUDeano said:
Tell me some more about your airshocks. I am thinking about some 2.5" 12" travel ones on my SWB BJ70. How are they on road. Did you set up the valving or are they at the factory valving. Do the rear ones come up into the rear of the body, or sit under the body.

Looks great by the way, the simpliciy of airshocks looks good.
12"x2.5" is what you see here. On road they are good if pumped up to 250-300 psi. Depending on weight of your truck of course. 1 thousand lbs per corner is what they are rated for if I recall right? My truck is right in close to that if not a touch over. Off road for my truck 200psi is about right. She has body roll the softer the shocks but lifting a tire is tough as you can see. If you going to carry much of a load I would go coil overs. Straight air shocks are really all about slow on the go. Unless the truck/vehicle is really light. I really like them, pain in the ass to adjust but gets easier the more you do it. Just use a tank and fill or deflate the shock. Thing is you have to take the weight off them to get settings right. If you did much on road with these or maybe even coil overs you would want to run a sway bar, quick disconnect. Ya might also want bump stops in the rear...I am still looking at doing that.

Yes there is a cage in the rear bed now. It is forms the rear shock hoop, fuel cell, batteries and ties into the roll cage. Rear chassis was cut off truck to do this and tube fabbed in its place. Front is shock hoops tie together through the engine bay.

Here is a couple more pics....

adjusting shocks...

·
Banned
682 Posts
That front diff cover, was it custom built or off the shelf unit?
After removing my swaybar the diff is rather exposed and as yet I have not found one.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Wow ! Great car, terrific scenery and a fabulous place to go for a drive by the look of it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
looks awsome! would you be able to send me a few picks of the 4 link rear endand some pics of where your shock hoops mount to? im going to start my rear end as soon as the fronts done and just want to see what every one has done

·
Mr G60
890 Posts

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TasMQ said:
That front diff cover, was it custom built or off the shelf unit?
After removing my swaybar the diff is rather exposed and as yet I have not found one.

off the shelf...but for a USA Frontier with a C200 rear. I took the chance that it would bolt up. Bolt pattern is the same but the Frontier C200 is wider across the cover. So I cut about 1/2" out of the skid and welded it back together.

Your best bet is to just make one.

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well I was by the fab shop today dropping off parts. I snapped some pics of the truck....the camera is not agreeing with me lately so the pics are not the best. But you get the idea!

new/used hubs I got from Yuri to replace the fairly shagged ones on the truck now.

new GQ master cylinder is in and brake seem to be working better. Won't know for sure until a test drive! Also new clutch master cylinder is in and slave.

this is the Safari Tuff GU TD42 clutch mounted to the SD33T flywheel. Looking sweet but you can see it just barely fits!

rear diff upper links and truss.

new rear diff skid welded on....

rear shock upper mount...

fuel cell and cage in bed....you can see roll cage ties into the chassis.

roll cage...this ties the tubed rear chassis together.

new rear tow points and some extra bracing on the chassis...

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lower link mounts on chassis and some new "bling" front lower arms.

new bling tie rod and some new truss work on the upper diff link.

whats left!? Get tranny back in with new mounts. It is ready for this other than the 5spd still leaking. Should have that fixed in few days. Good news is the e-brake drum on back of transfer is gone for good! Put in a sending unit for the fuel cell and wire it up. belly skid plate built and fitted. New glow plugs put in. Bleed the clutch and some painting. That is all I can think of, then she is out of the shop for awhile. If it is all done by Friday I will be taking it out with a group of 4wds in Eastern Idaho on Saturday!! Keep my fingers crossed... 8)

·
Registered
398 Posts
I love this trol have seen the build on another forum I have the same rig and would love to do the same mods but cash and time always seem to stop me.

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
well I didn't get to go wheeling in the truck this weekend like I had wanted to. The truck is not ready yet and we didn't want to push it and take wheeling when not ready.

Ya' got to understand...this truck is not being built from the ground up. I am doing it up in stages, ie suspension, diffs, bars work, motor and so forth. Most of it is pretty custom too so there is always trial and error. This truck is for serious offroading but I still want to be able to drive it on the streets here in the USA. I am also on a budget which means I can only spend so much every 6 months or so.

A lot of probs with the 5spd leaking. Seems bolts between the gear boxes were stripped out. IE, between the 4spd, 5spd box and transfer case. They had to be drilled, tapped and all that. And after that some still leaked! Not sure how or why this is occuring but it is an old tranny from 1986. I got it from a junkyard in New Zealand so really have no idea what has happened to it in the past. Good news is I bought an 84 Patrol in Aus. for parts. SO if this one just won't stop leaking (cracked) then I do have a spare....it is just on the other side of the planet!! Once we got a non-leaky tranny it will go into the truck. Custom mounts will be used and a new cross member fabbed. Will be a custom flat belly skid under that. With the e-brake drum gone there is pretty much nothing that sits below the frame rails which is sweet!

You really can't get an idea how "big" the truck is by pictures. I hadn't seen the truck in 3-4 weeks, walked in the shop and was like...damn this thing is a big monster! I am 5'11" and the bonnet (hood) comes up to my chest. Once I step it up to 38's and 16" shocks she will be really big!!

I should add that...one really sweet thing about suspension like this is that the pinion angle doesn't change when she flexes. Unlike leaves which can give you a lot of pinion angle probs. We set the suspension up so that the upper links front and rear are adjustable. On the chassis end they can be adjusted to allow for 4" more lift. This is really sweet because I can just buy and bolt in new 16" shocks, gain 4" of lift and nothing else has to be done!

Work is done for the time being once tranny is back in. Future plans are...

Fit some 38 Creepies, new 16" shocks, new MRW beadlocks. A crawler box is really required even if I don't go up in tire size. Just don't have low enough gearing for rocks even with 4.6's and 35's. We are talking options...a Chevy 205 transfer may be what we use. Take the crawler box off it and adapt that to my transfer case. Or a Klune which will be more expensive. Toyota stuff could be done but I am not into that for the obvious reason. I also want to look into fitting an Atlas to my transmission. I don't really see why it couldn't be done. It is all about money really. I am concerned about front diff strength especially with 38's. But I do have very beefy H233 strengthened CV's and H233 hubs. IMO the prob will be the r&p or the axles. I guess I will deal with a broken diff when the time comes and you know what they say...it is all about how you drive it! I think the C200 can hold up alright depending on how I flog it.

Steering will have to be worked out too. Everything is fine in the steering now except the MQ steering box is not up to the task of turning large tires in rocks and stuff. The box started leaking on the week of 4wd'ing in Arizona. We were talking about hydro assist using the stock box, just drill and tap it to suit. But now there are clearance issues in the front of the diff which could make this difficult. Regardless something will get worked out because the stock box just isn't going to last. It may go hydro assist or full hydro...not sure and it depends on what we can do with the room available.

The truck will have no e-brake for a while. The rear discs are set up for e-brake but we have clearance issues. There isn't room to set up the rear disc e-brakes using the brackets that were designed for it. This will get worked out sooner or later. When it does I am going to go with a single e-brake lever for each rear wheel. Then I can lock each rear wheel seperate for really tight turning.

There is a lot of sheet metal work to be done on the rear of the truck. This will take some body man skill and cost me some cash I am sure. But the rear wheel wells have got to get boxed back in with sheet. I also kind of plan to have the arches redone so that they look stock again just moved back like the diff. Fuel filler also has to get relocated to upper portion of the rear quarter.

Other than this it is interior, motor work and an exo cage. And that is about it to finish up this truck!

1 - 20 of 133 Posts