Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
I just bought a USB outlet that Im going to wire up.
I want to wire it direct to battery (with inline fuse of course) as there has been numerous times I've needed to charge the phone whilst away from the car.

Was wondering if anyone done this, and advice against/for it.

My navara had a cigarette port which was direct to battery so you didn't need ignition. Which was quite helpful.

i cant imagine too much current being drawn to charge a phone from the car batt.

Cheers

·
Registered
GU IV 4.2
989 Posts
I have a dual usb outlet in mine straight to the battery through a circuit breaker, have a 7" tablet being powered from it and it's on 24/7. Never had a flat battery from it. Anything using usb for power would draw very little I think

·
Registered
nissan
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a dual usb outlet in mine straight to the battery through a circuit breaker, have a 7" tablet being powered from it and it's on 24/7. Never had a flat battery from it. Anything using usb for power would draw very little I think
Cheers man.
Is a circuit breaker really necessary ?

·
Registered
GU IV 4.2
989 Posts
Yeah I only used the circuit breaker as I had it handy. They essentially do the same thing

·
Registered
nissan
2,863 Posts
I ran a thickish cable with 60A circuit breaker near the battery, through to the inside of the car and mounted a 8 way fuse block. I've got a dual usb port, additional accessory socket, amplifier and rear work lamp all wired off this. IF / when I install a stand alone USB charger up front, this too will be running off the fuse block.

The same could be done off the main battery if you've only got the one.

·
Registered
nissan
233 Posts
Mungrel,

I am looking at setting up a system the same as you have, however as yet I have not found a suitable fuse block with a single supply lead.
Could you lets know the make of your block and where you purchased it ?

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
nissan
1,109 Posts
Look on ebay, there are tons. Blueseas are one brand?

Personally i hate the fuseblocks with an individual input for every output - whats the point? But its all auto stores sell.

·
Registered
nissan
2,863 Posts
My particular unit is a Narva brand from Covs, Bursons, Repco or possibly even Supercheap, or of course, Ebay.

Part numbers on this site:
Fuse Blocks - Products - Narva

Look on ebay, there are tons. Blueseas are one brand?

Personally i hate the fuseblocks with an individual input for every output - whats the point? But its all auto stores sell.
I completely agree, It doesn't cut down on wiring at all, that's why I persisted until I found these. Happy days since! :cool:

·
Registered
nissan
233 Posts
Mungrel,
Thanks very much for that.

PG,
Thanks, I have a Blueseas however it is way too large for my preferred locations.

Cheers,
Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts