Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know about REV's checks https://online.revs.nsw.gov.au/revs/public.htm

This looks like the Vic version of it
Vehicle Securities Register on 13 11 71.
You can also conduct your own VSR inquiry online at www.vicroads.vic.gov.au

For Victorians, any other checks that should be done these days??
How do you check if the car is non repairable writeoff??

The car I'm lookin at is unrego'ed at moment... but will be FOOOLY :D:D Some online checks wont work on Unrego'ed cars..

Ebay seems to use this one
http://www.carhistory.com.au/

·
Registered
nissan
82 Posts
i know in qld, u just enter vin and engine number, and pay for the expensive option that tells you everything, iv done it with all my cars, bikes, boats, trailers, that i have bought just to make sure they havnt been stolen or anything.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Use this one Bruce.
VicRoads: Vehicle Status Checks
You can check the vehicle status either through the registration number or if it's not registered then use the VIN number.
The 1st stage just tells you the make year and colour of the vehicle the next stage you enter the letters at the bottom of the page and it tells you if it's an "inspected writeoff" or if any money is owing on the car.
Regards Andrew.

·
Registered
nissan
399 Posts
Ring Vicroads themselves and give them the VIN, they will tell you all you need to know for free.
The online one is good but i have found a few flaws with it - not listed as WOVR online but it is when speaking to Vicroads themselves.

·
She's apples
nissan patrol
1,063 Posts
Beware of REVS checks , if the vehicle is not registered with REVS , it will come up as being OK and may not be .
The way it works in Perth is if you ring REVS, they tell you if money is owing on it, but it is not guaranteed.

If you purchase the certificate($5), you are protected. That is, if the the car has money owing on it and the people who are owed the money didn't register it with REVS, that is their problem and they have to get the cash from the seller, they don't get the car from you.

THAT IS ONLY IF YOU PURCHASE THE CERTIFICATE. Just getting the info over the phone isn't sufficient. That info is from 2 separate people I spoke to at REVS, it may pay to find that info in writing.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The way it works in Perth is if you ring REVS, they tell you if money is owing on it, but it is not guaranteed.

If you purchase the certificate($5), you are protected. That is, if the the car has money owing on it and the people who are owed the money didn't register it with REVS, that is their problem and they have to get the cash from the seller, they don't get the car from you.

THAT IS ONLY IF YOU PURCHASE THE CERTIFICATE. Just getting the info over the phone isn't sufficient. That info is from 2 separate people I spoke to at REVS, it may pay to find that info in writing.
Also in Victoria if you purchase a VSR (Vehicle Securities Register) certificate (approx $15) it is only valid for 24 hours. This is to prevent a seller putting the security of his vehicle on a loan then selling it. If you buy the vehicle within 24 hours you are safe if you're outside the 24 hour period you are not.
As an example the 2007 Pajero I bought was under finance but the finance wasn't registered with REVS/VSR and as I bought the vehicle and purchased the certificate within the 24 hours I was safe even if the bank cheque I made out to the finance company didn't go through.
I told the Vicroads guy about the finance owing and he told me direct. "If the finance company do not register their interest in the vehicle with us then it's their problem, the VSR certificate will protect the buyer within that 24 hour period"
Regards Andrew.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its scary all these small pitfalls for younger players.. there was a thread by some young bloke on here that was ****ting his duds as he bought something and there was finance on it.. he did the revs check few days before, adn seller had done the dirty
never found out the end of that, as thread was deleted.

·
Registered
nissan
399 Posts
I know of another case on another forum - didnt do his research and lost it all.
The car was a 4 year old BA Falcon that was too cheap to be true, paid for it in cash and drove it home.
a month or so later there is a tow truck out the front and a big burly guy at the front door asking for the keys.
The car was under finance from the previous owner, who had stopped paying and also had moved house and couldnt be tracked down.
The car was repossessed and the new owner ended up losing $9000 cash - wasnt legally entitled to anything other than trying to sue the previous owner (who owned squat anyway).
Do you home work and dont rush into it, even if it seems like a bargain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts