Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have bought an el cheapo snorkel kit for the TD42 GQ Patrol. Now I now the template is on the piss so:

1. Can anyone offer up some advice on how to make sure I get the big hole in the right place
2. When using a holesaw to drill the big hole is it best to try and hold the horizontal when cutting. I ask because part of the hole will be in the crease of the panel and if I drill horizontal its just going to drill the lower part of the hole first. Or do I drill in at an angle so it drills the top and bottom of the hole at the same time. Hopefully this pic helps explain what I am talking about (thanks to someone, I borrowed your pic)

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
279 Posts
In response to 2) I'd go as horizontal as possible cutting the flared bit first before hopefully getting to the flat "vertical" panel evenly at the same time. Slow steady speed and patience. I had mine grab a few times with the uneven panel on the GU, no damage but kicked back a few times and gave my arm a workout.

·
Registered
nissan
3,857 Posts
Before you cut buy some 2 inch masking tape. Tape from the top to the bottom of the guard and run at least two layers of tape. This will give a cleaner cut, less chance of the wheel grabbing and also can be used as a marking base with a texta. You need to cut the first large hole first as in the pic then another half hole approximately up to just where the white pinstripe is on the bottom stripe. Dummy fit the snorkel and see if you need to cut higher. If so you can file or use a burring tool to get the clearance. Don't cut too much on the first attempt. Take your time and go slow with it.

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
As in my pics you need to cut a tongue on the bottom of large hole, took a few shots be patient...

·
Registered
nissan patrol
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeffs, how come in your pic with the template hole and tongue on it you are centre punching a hole that is nowhere near in the middle of the hole?

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
There the holes for the studs/mounting bolts along guard. And you can see the pic on template of tongue, it wasn't cut ( the tongue ) as low as on the template pic. So take a little out at a time. Remember its below not above as said

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Ah i get what you mean now, that was the centre hole for holesaw, looks off centre as it was a little, but that was where I started it and worked out, the holesaw hole was a bit higher than on the template but not much.

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
I drilled with holesaw on an angle, tipping the back of the drill up.

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
top of hole was just under the hight of the bolt hole next to it from memory, as said templates are a PITA, I held snorkel up against the guard, lined up the studs to the holes in guard and eyed it off to get it close, then ground big hole where it was needed to fit.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see... Sorta.... Thanks. Will be crapping myself when I get round to doing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
That pic you put up is pretty close as see the bolt hole to the right is a little higher 5-10mm than the hole saw hole, if you look at my pic of snorkel coming in through the guard you can see the nut from that bolt hole is near the top of the holesaw hole if ya get what i mean. lol

·
Registered
nissan
91 Posts
You can cut a hole in a convenable position and file after to be oval at bottom - is more work but is more safer .

For a exact template sure to use , cut in the paper template a larger hole and try to fit on the back or the snorkel . Fill the misfits with masking tape , mark the hole at exact position and the results is a exact replica of the snorkel , with exact contour an position of the holes .

In an extrem case ( snorkel for a Toyota but put on a Merc G ) I cut the air tube ( who goes to airbox ) and put the plan face of the snorkel against the fender , marking corect position of snorkel at fender . After I was sure of all mounting hole I rebuild the air conexion of snorkel to airbox ( anyway , the original for Toy is useles for G ) .

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
put a piece of pipe that fits in the inner guard through the hole from airbox side and mark from inside guard the top of the pipe. drill the mounting/stud holes on template and then see if the stud hole is next to top off mark from pipe .

·
Registered
nissan patrol
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jeffs5, your last suggestion was what I though initially. The kit comes with an ali adaptor that bolts into the 3 bolt holes on inner guard. I could then use a holesaw thats just big enough to fit in the adaptor to drill a pilot hole in the outer guard.

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Yeh mate, that should work, dont be to hesitant , I was cakkin it aswell , Marking and drilling the stud holes first gave me a better idea as to where centre hole would be roughly lol, what snorkel you get ??

·
Registered
nissan patrol
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
eBay from RVTEK.... I did a mock fit up earlier today and the template is hopeless. The studs may or may not be in the right spot, impossible to tell. If I could get the big hole right first it should be easy. Do you know if your snorkel inlet was exactly aligned with the Ali adapter they provide (or the hole in inner wing). If it was then I might have some luck drilling from inner wing. I reckon the pilot hole should be about an inch to the left of the hole indicated on the template. It also seems to be right on the crease if the wing. Would that be right or is it higher?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Mine lines up with the inner guard hole, well close to it,I didn't use the adaptor as mine is silicone hose straight throughfrom snork. to the intake duct, to the top (main air cleaner), Mines NA. look at the pic of mine taken inside the guard with snorkel in you can see how far up the top of hole is from crease in guard. Basically mines about identical to the pic you put up but with the tongue cut on the bottom which isn't in your pic.

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Looking back at my template pic the centre hole for holesaw is about 20mm above the crease in guard, so yes higher than crease.

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
You near adelaide???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts