Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short ive got myself a brand new primus dual zone 65L fridge / freezer that i was hoping to use over Easter, but for reasons im now aware of it will not run on my vehicles single battery (alternator doesn't charge below 1100 rpm and i need a smaller pulley)..

The fridge will run while the rev's are up but as soon as i stop at a set of lights it kicks off and wont kick back in until the revs pick up again (I dont like the fact the safety cut out keeps coming on and off)

I was hoping to get away with one of these jump start packs that super sh*t have just to get me through the wkend? Thoughts?? i know a dual batt set up is ideal and thats eventually what ill do... just need something to get me through this wkend

Does anyone know if these jump packs could power a fridge via the cig. lighter output while being charged via the vehicle cig lighter? I know its nasty but they are on special dont really want to spend a fortune b4 the wkend plus ill end up with a jump pack :)

SCA Jump Pack

SCA Jumpstart - 1200 Amp, Heavy Duty - Supercheap Auto Australia

I do also have an old v8 battery at home thats not completely buggered that i could use for something but in saying that as i head off tomorrow morning dont really want to be an auto sparky tonight if i can avoid it :)

Cheers!

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,456 Posts
INSERT ALARM BELLS HERE

Mate if your fridge works when driving but cuts out at idle I would suggest you have a major volt loss issue going on here.

Is there a discreet switch on the fridge to alter the volts safety cutout? It may not be labelled. What sort of plug are you using and what size cable from battery?

This jump pack from cheapaschips is probably only 30 odd a/h at a guess so would only run for a few hours anyway, maybe less if low voltage cutout is an issue.

Can you report back on the switch and wiring?

·
Registered
nissan
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah i am pretty sure i do have an electrical issue as i know it shouldn't be dropping like it does... and its something i need to look into as i didn't realize it was that bad until i tried to use this fridge.. surprisingly everything else works!.. hmm might have to use an eski for the wken.. i was hoping that i could charge the jump pack on the go and power the fridge off that.. dodgy work around i know but i want to use the new fridge! lol :)

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
It needs 4.58 amps to run, and would want that at at least 12v.

If you are running off a cig lighter socket in the back of the car you'll get what you're getting - voltage drop at idle and wiring much too thin.

Jump start pack no good IMO. With that fridge you will need a !00AH battery to run it for 2 days assuming 10 hours per day cycle.

Your starter battery would last maybe a day.

·
Registered
179 Posts
you could re wire it for under the price of the supercheap jumpstarting box.

Just buy the wire and fuse and a few terminals and hardwire it to your battery for your trip. when you get back you can play with fancy plugs and pretty wiring jobs and do it properly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts