Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

just wondering if there if many of you out there don't use mudflaps? Are they a necessity for protecting panels or undercarriage? Mine are buggered and if I can save a coin by not buying new ones, i'll leave it as is.

cheers

·
Registered
Nissan
797 Posts
Lots of folks don't. In fact, offroad driving has a way of tearing off mudflaps, so lots of people just don't bother replacing them.

Then there is the quarter-panel chop, which pretty much eliminates the factory mounts for the flaps.

·
Registered
93 SWB Maverick
1,390 Posts
I have yet to tear mine off.. Plus most would run them due to the fact of law requirements

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Plus most would run them due to the fact of law requirements
I've wrecked two sets on mine but I always replace them for that reason, and because I dont want to flick stones etc out.
does anyone know where to get the gq patrol mudflaps from f*** all wreckers have them
Keep your eye out for private classifieds, they come out now and then. I always snap some good ones up when I see them even if I dont need them at the time because I know I'll need them sooner or later. Speaking of that, I have no spares left atm :(

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,804 Posts
Go buy some heavy duty rubber and make them yourself. It aint hard even with a quarter panel chop.
Al

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,583 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
490 Posts
As other have done I tore off the orginal mud flaps when offroad.

I went to clark rubber and bought a meter of the reinforced rubber mat and spent a few hours making these up. They have metal brackets that screw into the panels and the rubber is bolted to this. In this way when the tyres rub offorad they don't tear off the mud flaps. Keeps me legal and keeps the panels cleaner.

I would not drive on the road without them as I don't want the attention no mud flaps brings.

·
Registered
nissan/gq patrol
589 Posts
I Vic they are, not sure about other states. They are required to go half way down your wheel, ie. to about the axle.

·
Registered
nissan
490 Posts
Mudflaps are a legal Requirement??

Never heard of this before.
What states is that in?
When I had my last car RWC in VIC I was advised that I had to have mud flaps that covered the rear tyres and be no higher than 300mm off the ground.....or level with the middle of the rear axle as long as it was not higher than 300mm off the ground.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Double Black Offroad make what they call a Fugly Flap. It's designed to quickly disconnect so that you can remove the flap when you are off road. You just have to remember to put them back on when you hit the tar.

Double Black Offroad

·
Registered
nissan
100 Posts
When I had my last car RWC in VIC I was advised that I had to have mud flaps that covered the rear tyres and be no higher than 300mm off the ground.....or level with the middle of the rear axle as long as it was not higher than 300mm off the ground.

Belive it or not I got pulled up by a copper for a rutien let's see if I can pick anything wrong with you car check and guess what gave me a major cannery for that reason (also a parker light and washer jet not operating properly). So I made my self out of some truck flaps I got from Repco.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,540 Posts
I got rid of my mudflaps about 3 years ago when I did my quarter chop. I've since done the dual cab chop and I'm still yet to get picked up for no mudflaps. All I have is the rear bumpers which will be pulled off soon as I get some LED's, but no plans for mudgaurds or mudflaps.

Attachments

·
Registered
Nissan
797 Posts
I forgot that in Australia they have, like, laws and safety rules and things.

Here in Ukraine, not so much.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
47 Posts
nsw just changed there rules to 300mm from the ground but i have a quater chop with out mud flaps and never been picked up for them and i am a p plater so they generly look for anything they can get you on (touch wood)

·
Registered
902 Posts
I believe they are an ADR regulation.
If your desperate theres one at the top of The Widowmaker hillclimb at Morgan SA.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts