Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a gu ute and was wondering if anyone has ever extended there ute into a space cab? maybe 40 cm or so added in. ideally just enough room for a fridge and a bit of luggage.

has anyone done this
chances are its harder then it sounds but shouldnt it just be a process of

1 cut the back off
2 move it back
3 get some sheet metal and move fill in the new gap
4 weld/bog/grind/sand prep
5 repaint car
6 carpet the interior

obviously all this isnt a 5 minute job but it might be possible in a weekend?

·
Registered
nissan
240 Posts
did u do it think it whould be best to get a wagon cut down

·
Registered
nissan patrol
315 Posts
i recon the go would be to approach a mob that does ute chops on wagons and use the back foot or so. weld up the doors etc, round off where the tail lights go.... but it should fit up to where you have chopped off the back of your exsisting cab pretty neatly?

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ ute
4 Posts
mate 400mm is a big cap to fill. I would think chopping a wagon down would be easier and end up looking more stock.

Not to mention you would probably be able to good coin for your ute cab or even the whole car and buy wagon to chop up.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
Chopping a wagon down would be easyer.
Or if u use the ute cab, goto a reckers and get a section or roof section, floor section, and side cut of the doors.
that gives you the all the inside suporting pannels. just weld them all up, and pannel in the gap from where the window was (on the rear door from the side pannel section from a wagon) to the roof.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol 4.8
158 Posts
Just doing the same thing at the moment. I am getting someone else to do it.. For $6000 i think its not worth all the mucking around. Remember you need engineer certif..paint..etc.. Cost dosn't change weather you extend a ute body or you cut down a wagon..(from my guy) If you go the wagon option you have more spec options, ei, 4.8 or 3 litre auto... TI spec etc...
When i was looking around i consistantly was told to be careful extending the cab too much more than standard for it will look unbalanced (crap in otherwords) .. around 250mm extra max before you should extend wheel base.
Rule of thumb seems to be if you want a 500mm space cab then you should extend chassis 500mm as well.. There is a mob in QLD (not creative conversion.. wide bodies or something i think), that put me onto this formula and he has some excellent pics in his Gallery that shows you what it will look like in the finish...
Try and get the rear wheel to finsh as close as possible to the centre of the rear tray and it will look ok, you wont get that "tray hanging off the back" look you get on Dual cabs.
Oh, and the chassis extension costs around $4000... i dicided that i didn't want a longer vechile so went with 250mm, main reasons was to get a 4.8 ute with the extra leg room that you get in a wagon, and better trim.
Total price ok too!

Hope this helps Wayne

·
Registered
Nissan
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replies, it was just a though, and turn out it can be done if u know what your doing or know someone who does. i dont think i will at this moment in time. (theres alot of other things i would rather spend 6k+ on) but i will keep it in mind. thanks again

·
Registered
nissan
240 Posts
Just doing the same thing at the moment. I am getting someone else to do it.. For $6000 i think its not worth all the mucking around. Remember you need engineer certif..paint..etc.. Cost dosn't change weather you extend a ute body or you cut down a wagon..(from my guy) If you go the wagon option you have more spec options, ei, 4.8 or 3 litre auto... TI spec etc...
When i was looking around i consistantly was told to be careful extending the cab too much more than standard for it will look unbalanced (crap in otherwords) .. around 250mm extra max before you should extend wheel base.
Rule of thumb seems to be if you want a 500mm space cab then you should extend chassis 500mm as well.. There is a mob in QLD (not creative conversion.. wide bodies or something i think), that put me onto this formula and he has some excellent pics in his Gallery that shows you what it will look like in the finish...
Try and get the rear wheel to finsh as close as possible to the centre of the rear tray and it will look ok, you wont get that "tray hanging off the back" look you get on Dual cabs.
Oh, and the chassis extension costs around $4000... i dicided that i didn't want a longer vechile so went with 250mm, main reasons was to get a 4.8 ute with the extra leg room that you get in a wagon, and better trim.
Total price ok too!

Hope this helps Wayne

do you have some pic off the build

1 - 10 of 10 Posts