Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious really and not overly serious, so don't get your knickers in a knot. Over the March long weekend, we saw more 4WD utes by far than wagons/hardtops and every time someone posts a pic of a ute on the forum, the reaction is akin to nude pics of Megan Fox being displayed (with legs spread). I'm convinced that if there was a clapped out Patrol ute, with 37s, parked next to a smick wagon, the majority would be ogling the ute with a passion.

So what gives? It's not just a 4WD thing and I don't know if it's an age thing, but a large number of young guys I know all want to gravitate towards a ute, whether it's 2WD or 4WD. Whilst a ute can have some advantages and clearly is practical for tradies, hunters and the like, in the long term, utes aren't practical for life in general. The worst example of this lack of practicality that I've seen is a P plater in a ute with his mate rolling around in the tray, one girl in the passenger seat and another in the footwell looking for a place to have an accident.

The ute muster scene aside, is ute ownership a lifelong thing, or just another transition in life?

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3,907 Posts
Its just that utes are good, if you think about it would you prefer to drive out of a dealers showroom in a station wagon Patrol/Commodore/Falcon or a bad ass ute.

Ute will always be the one to pick, but sometimes if kids and stuff you need more seats so you have to go a station wagon or sedan.

·
your mother, she's a top bloke!!!!
nissan patrol
480 Posts
think it is a work related thing. i have a ute due to work, i combine work and play together. i used to have a 2wd ute for work and a gq wagon for play but just got to expensive. i have mates with families with dual cabs because its work and practical with family.

maybe the more interest to utes is a man [email protected] think. im rugged i have a ute? not really sure tho.

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its just that utes are good, if you think about it would you prefer to drive out of a dealers showroom in a station wagon Patrol/Commodore/Falcon or a bad ass ute.

Ute will always be the one to pick, but sometimes if kids and stuff you need more seats so you have to go a station wagon or sedan.
I'd have a bad ass wagon any day over a ute, but that's just me, as I've never really had an interest in utes. I've always wanted carrying capacity for more than two people and/or all weather and safe storage of gear etc.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3,907 Posts
Ive never seen a bad ass wagon, saw a falcon station wagon with a sticker on the back saying "Shagen Wagen" so that one might have been OK:confused:

·
Registered
nissan
240 Posts
ok well ive had both n single cab uts r to small in the cab to fit all the **** you nead to keep out off the weather but on the outher hand a wagon has no room for all the big stuff we nead so on goes the traler i now have a dual cab but have never had more than a fridge n bag in the back seat with the tray full till the brim had a space cab trition on my p with the above 10 m8 in the back on the way home from the pub but i must say if i get around to bilding m space cab gu (has been cut for 5 ys one day lol) think will be the best for me lets face it thear r less panels to rub n damage on a ute n thats a good thing but wagons a lot cheaper thean a ute

utes r cool

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive never seen a bad ass wagon, saw a falcon station wagon with a sticker on the back saying "Shagen Wagen" so that one might have been OK:confused:
I guess when one only has ute glasses on that's all that one ever sees. When the only tool that you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail (to steal a quote).

Cheers

Ray

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok well ive had both n single cab uts r to small in the cab to fit all the **** you nead to keep out off the weather but on the outher hand a wagon has no room for all the big stuff we nead so on goes the traler i now have a dual cab but have never had more than a fridge n bag in the back seat with the tray full till the brim had a space cab trition on my p with the above 10 m8 in the back on the way home from the pub but i must say if i get around to bilding m space cab gu (has been cut for 5 ys one day lol) think will be the best for me lets face it thear r less panels to rub n damage on a ute n thats a good thing but wagons a lot cheaper thean a ute

utes r cool
:shock:

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan
777 Posts
I have a ute for work duties but If I was going to build a weekender it would still be a ute. I love 4wding and a ute means much less bodywork to get damaged. I take my dogs to the beach and on the back they go, dont have to worry about wet beach sand and dog drool inside the cargo area, and where do you put them if thats already full? Back seat? Did that for years in my old navara and it got trashed.

I will soon sell my trailer as my dirtbike, mulch, sand, roll on turf etc will all fit on the back.

·
Registered
nissan 99gu patrol ute st
865 Posts
Ray, I think it is just what suits your needs at the time.
When we had the kids with us i had a wagon (80 series, forgive me) it did everything that was asked of it & more.
But once the kids all moved out we bought the ute & set it up for what we wanted to do in our life now.
The wife still has the (shopping trolly/suzuki vitara)to cart the grandkids around

Cheers.

·
Registered
nissan
455 Posts
I own a wagon and i will always stop to check out a tidy gq/gu ute, theres just something about them.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
wagons are way better , utes are for pussies who are too scared of panel damage :p, i can keep everything i need in the wagon nice and dry, dont have to worry about mud covering everything either, and if i am going camping then i take the camper trailer

:toothmis:

·
Registered
Nissan
795 Posts
I got a ute, inlaws have a wagon.....i love my ute there is only three of us...me, the missus and the dog. for the time being so it fits us perfect. When we upgrade our family status will prob keep the ute for me for work/play and get a wagon. and as for carrying more gear a ute is the bomb. You can make extra sized fuel tanks for uder neath, water tanks and multitudes of geaar space for the overland trips. you can even sleep in the back, which we do often, that you cannot do in a wagon. this discussion could go on forever adn a day...pros verses cons....but i guess it is everyones own choice at the end of the day...:cheers:

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
I owned a ute as my second car, I had more friends than I knew, some were mates of mates that always just happened to be moving or buyin something or picking up something and needed a ute.

Wagons are so much better for security than utes, your gear stays dry, you stay dry, you can sleep in them easier, you can take the family, you can take family +, you can throw a leg over easier and more comfortable.

Utes are ok, but I wouldnt own another

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts
i've got one of each ,but to keep the missus from growling at me every time i put a new dent or scratch in the wagon ,we just use the ute when we go bush.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have a ute and will not, if i can help it, own a wagon, wasted space IMO. Plus i have dogs and that is my security issue solved.
With a canopy you can still keep things hidden and dry also. I have no need to carry more people, plus it means i don't become the taxi when going out.
If only they made an extra cab ute = ultimate Patrol, if i could afford to do it i would, maybe one day

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
A dual cab ute is the Ultimate Vehicle. Plenty of people room, and you can put stuff in the tray. Maybe a cover over the back but not essential.

I dont care for the single cab myself but you can get a bigger load on.

Depends what you are using it for. I had a Rodeo for years (4 WD) and loved it. Nothing it couldn't do as a family car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts