Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gu patrol
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There

Anyone else done or doing a V8 conversion on a GU?

I've just started a ford 5.0lt xr8 engine swap into an ex 2.8lt GU manual. Hoping someone else out there is doing same or similar who can swap notes and experience. I plan to use the Dellow conversion (the only one I could find) and a 4.2lt 5spd. Look forward to taking advice from anyone.....

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
I think you might have a hard time finding people with experiance with this conversion, the most common V8 conversion is the Chev by far.

·
Registered
nissan patrol mk
3,306 Posts
there shouldn't be much difference between ford and chev in the most important parts of the conversion... Perhaps some of the smaller bits might be different

I can totally understand why you are upgrading from a 2.8 :D What is it, always late in a 2.8?? :D
Isn't the rest of the 2.8 drive line weaker than the 4.2, not just the gearbox?

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
There is a bloke on Outers GQ351 that had nothing but issues with his conversion

he went with a 454 after 3 blowups.

·
Registered
nissan
20 Posts
351 isn't the same as the 5.0ltr ford

·
Banned
nissan
117 Posts
Dellows engine mounts are utter crap and their clutch kits are a mix/match of Nissan & Ford etc.
I'd be more inclined to go for a Chev or Holden conversion and use a Marks adaptors kit. A better option IMO...

Infact I'd sell it and buy one already done if I was you. You will save alot of money, blood, sweat & deffinately tears.
I just spent the last 5 months and over $10K on a conversion + a heap of extras on my Mav and am now selling it. It's advertised for $8.5k (dosn't even cover the conversion costs)

·
Registered
nissan
2 Posts
I'm just starting a 5.0 conversion on my GQ... It was a TD42, but will now be running an AU 185kw V8. I'm sure there'll be a few problems along the way!!

The Dellow kit does seem to be the only one for this job, but everything I read is saying the engine mounts are crap...

·
Registered
nissan patrol GU
307 Posts
Diff ratio's on ur 2.8 should be the 4.6. A lot of people are saying the gearboxes in the 2.8 are crap yet I heard they were the same as the turbo skylines which put out a fair bit of power. The 4.2 has problems with 5th gear blowing when towing so every gearbox has its problems.

But good on you for choosing a windsor, I have had a bit of experience with these engines and my AU XR8 cops curry whenever I drive it, Even after full rebuild with bigger cam, port job, bigger pistons etc.. I rev this thing to 6,200(rev limiter) and the only thing that ever went wrong is it over heated a couple of times on burn out comps (expected) but no problems otherwise, It still has just as much power as it did 4 years ago when I built it.

I'd trust one of these over an LS1 anyday and as far as using more petrol? My 2.8TD with 35's uses about 20lt per 100km and sits on full boost along the freeways, I doubt you would use that with a V8 that u only need 1/10th of the throttle to get to the same place/speed you would in a 2.8.

have you got any pics of the conversion so far?
It's something I'm considering atm as my 2.8 has spat the harmonic balancer..

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
Diff ratio's on ur 2.8 should be the 4.6. A lot of people are saying the gearboxes in the 2.8 are crap yet I heard they were the same as the turbo skylines which put out a fair bit of power. The 4.2 has problems with 5th gear blowing when towing so every gearbox has its problems.
Yeah but a Skyline is not a Turbo Diesel pushing big tyres and twice the weight on ****ty bush roads and corrugations.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,540 Posts
Do you need to do anything with the ECU? Remove immo settings?? I wanted to fit a Barra turbo engine but might go LS1 instead. As said above, the Dellow mounts look crap and are 'multi fit', but I do like their mix-n-match clutch idea. Better than the Marks adaptor piece.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts