Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,263 Posts
anything! holden v8 are most common, there for easier to get an adapter for, or custom tail shafts and use an auto with the divorsed transfer

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,691 Posts
Using the remote tranny
U can use any combo (V8 auto,manual,V6 auto ,manual)
Even the gearbox thats already on the V8 (auto or manual)
Just need a new small tailshaft that goes from the rear of the replacement tranny to the remote transfer

Do a bitta searching all the answers are on here,if not check out neroks wiki

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
i wrecked a v8 mq the other week, i was told with the holden v8 (253/308 ) that a commodore sump with the hump at the front will hit the front diff. i dont think it would in every day driving, but flexing offroad it could imagine it hitting. so its recommended to use a rear hump sump (HQ+), or if you were real desperate you could probably get away with a mid-mount hump (HK etc).

same would apply to any v8 i guess, dont get a front hump.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i had a mq with a 302 cleveland in her the motor sat low in the bay used the standard sump never hit the diff there was a 1" body lift done also or u might have to massage the fire wall alittle
mated up to the standard 4 speed it was done using a delows kit and it worked well

·
Registered
nissan mk
51 Posts
im tryin to sell a shorty, fully engineered v8, manual and straight gas. all the parts should bolt straight in, the motor is out of a hg-ht so no issues with the sump. pm me if interested im located in wallan

·
Registered
107 Posts
unless its a 304 injected motor don,t bother with the 308 go for a chevy there cheaper and go harder plus there heaps cheaper to rebuild check out e-bay for rebuild kits and you,ll see what i mean i got a 305 in mine and i love it very revy lil motor just my opinion so don,t go getting all upset guys ok :) regards dan (aka smokey)

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,691 Posts
Good point Dan
Thats why sometimes im amazed why blokes crap on about the girly little 253s in MQ/MKs
I reckon a good SD33T would flog a 253
Im yet to see how a carb 308 goes against a good SD33T

Yes the 308 would be cheaper to rebuild,but the cost of the conversion kit approoval blah blah,id be interested in a comparison

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
ive experienced sd33, sd33t and 253, all with 4.6 diff and 4 speed, i would choose the 253. might not have any extra power/torque than sd33t, and i wouldnt waste my money doing a v8 conversion with a 253, but i think the petrol and the revs makes the difference.

·
Registered
107 Posts
adaptor kit plate $500 crs.com.au $160 mod plate second hand decent runner chevy v8 1000 bucks +
adaptor homemade diesel rebuild 3 or 4grand ouch that was the situation i was in so i went with the chevy conversion 1100 bucks for me thru a mate sometimes its cheaper to buy a wrecked v8 if u can find one laters n regards
dan

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all info I sold the engine out of my shorty
And brought lwb but l28 and miss the shorty so mayb
I might use the good springs etc off lwb and resurect the shorty
Gives me time to repair some stuff have no idea what engine may just go petrol six
Not worried bout major power but the more the better lol

·
Registered
nissan
11 Posts
heapsa room, ive got a 400chev in my mq. it sits really low as i have a 2 inch body lift too. its almost like they were made to have a big v8 in them...;-) its mated to all the standard gear and it keeps on smiling back at me whenever i give it heaps!!!! am thinking of selling mine if i can decide to let go of it (thats the hard part)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1 Posts
Divorced transfer case is the ****, any combo suits, i'm putting 351 in lwb MQ small sump issue but nothing to it. I do have a 4 speed box complete with transfer case that has a cleveland bellhousing in front of it, comes with flywheel,pressure and clutch plate and fork. Would cost about $1600 to buy now but i'm letting it go for $700, went hard with the 351 in a shorty turn a corner and nail it she would lift the inside wheel easy, no the motor isn't for sale it's going in the lwb as a tow rig and fun basher. if interested txt me on 0413 211 973

1 - 19 of 19 Posts