Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Valves have started to get noisy (specifically in the center), and are up for adjustment. (Hopefully that's all they need.)
Cheapest quote I've been given is $485. Seems fairly excessive to me. I can pick up another Engine for that. I've been told it generally only costs around $120-$200 to get them adjusted.

I'd do it myself, but I'm not great with a feeler gauge so I'd rather have it done properly. But for that price I'd rather get a new engine and eliminate the risk of it being more than just adjustment that they need.

So it begs the question, what would you pay to have them done? Should I should keep getting quotes or just bite the bullet?

·
Registered
Nissan
24 Posts
That price seems very excessive. Personally I wouldn't pay to have it done but I think $50-100 would be a lot more reasonable.

I'd never used a feeler gauge myself, but I managed to adjust my own.

I believe there's a guide on here, including the tolerances. It's not too difficult of a job, only 1 of the rocker cover screws is a bit of a pain since it's quite close to the firewall. Aside from that, just make sure that the rocker cover gasket goes back on nicely. Roughly an hours work if you don't know what you're doing.

·
Registered
nissan gu
5 Posts
easy as
Just bought a 89 tb42 and noticed the tappets were a little noisey so I found this same guide and no more than 30-60min and all done

Just remember there is a cold setting and a warm setting. I found the warm (run car around the block a few times) was easier and accurate for me. Some much quieter now

Give it a go

:)

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Tappets on a TB42 should be a little bit noisy.

I have the same issue with my tappet screws being rounded

·
Registered
nissan
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would love to do it myself but even getting my points done takes me a few goes I'm that terrible with a feeler gauge haha. Found somewhere that'd do it for $135 including the gasket so I'll go the safe way. Also got some free advice about how Gas is for BBQ's not Cars haha.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
That's a good price with the gasket.

Make sure he sets them as per the advice on the link for LPG.

Depending on what you gas is - and your fuel econmy - gas is way cheaper to run - can be a similar price to running a td42. Although with the current low petrol price I'm running 50/50

·
Registered
nissan
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, never heard anything bad about them either so hopefully they're alright at their job.

Yeah hopefully they get it right. But in saying that my LPG Fuel Gauge reads incorrectly so I don't really use it anymore. It shows I'm in reserve when the actual Tank display shows half. So I get about 200k's before I have to fill up again, so I've just been running Petrol full-time for awhile now. So either it's right and the tank guage is wrong and I'm running horribly rich, or it's useless and the Tank's right.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
But in saying that my LPG Fuel Gauge reads incorrectly so I don't really use it anymore. It shows I'm in reserve when the actual Tank display shows half. So I get about 200k's before I have to fill up again, so I've just been running Petrol full-time for awhile now. So either it's right and the tank guage is wrong and I'm running horribly rich, or it's useless and the Tank's right.
cheap LPG gauge test

find a GM fuel gauge, 1965-1997 (ie 0-90 Ohms)
you can then run a range test on that gauge

get a double throw switch, that way you can switch between yours and the GM gauge to see the difference. you can't run both at once as you'll get a false reading on both. (hence the double throw switch)

you hook up the sender switch feed from each gauge to each opposing pole, the centre pole goes to your tank, then switch between the 2 to get each gauges reading

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Make sure the tank ios sitt on the correct level, also check that here is a groung link on the tank for the other side of the sender.

I connect my arduino to the same line as the senso - and measure the voltage dropped across the tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts