Registered
nissan
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all need some advice on valve/tappet adjustments
running a tb42 89 mav auto duel fuel

can i do this myself ?
do it hot,coldor warm
lpg seems to warrent regular adjustments told better to here them than not to ?
work shop prices have ranged from $150 to $300 doing approx 5000km per month so it will become costly
all an any advice will be appreciated

cheers andrew

·
Registered
782 Posts
Easy job to do yourself.
Only needs basic tools and a feeler gauge.
Get a manual so you know which ones to do at each revolution of the crank at TDC.
You do it hot / warm.

·
Registered
GU8 CRD
1,558 Posts
I put a socket on the alternator pulley nut to rotate the engine - just had to press down a little bit on the belts to stop it slipping.

If you have the EFI remember where all the pipes and tubes go and it is easier to change the plugs with the tappet cover off.

·
Registered
nissan
351 Posts
I put a socket on the alternator pulley nut to rotate the engine - just had to press down a little bit on the belts to stop it slipping.
How much force should you be applying to do this, Ive tried and it felt like it was going to twist off the perch, got nowhere.

Is there any easy way of getting it to TDC, being an Auto too.

·
Registered
GU8 CRD
1,558 Posts
How much force should you be applying to do this, Ive tried and it felt like it was going to twist off the perch, got nowhere.

Is there any easy way of getting it to TDC, being an Auto too.
Thinking about it, I probably removed the plugs first as it didn't need too much, just pressed on the belts with the thumb and rotated the pulley clockwise (looking from the front) Used a ratchet and went a couple of clicks at a time.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
316 Posts
Instead of me making a new thread and this one is exsisted

can anyone tell me valve clearance for TD42 both exhaust and intake side?

Thanks

·
Registered
nissan
377 Posts
Founds this for you by using the search function

"TD42 intake and exhaust valve clearances .35mm - only adjust when engine is warm.
Set No 1 cylinder at top dead centre (both rockers rocking) on its compression stroke and adjust valve clearances 1,2,4,5,8 & 9
Set No 6 cylinder at top dead centre (both rockers rocking) on its compression stroke and adjust valve clearances 3,6,7,10,11, & 12"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts