Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it seems I've come to the end of the road with negotiating a favourable outcome with Nissan HO with the head on my 3.0l '04 Patrol recently cracking at around 93,000 km's. What was a bigger surprise was finding damage on top of the piston.
Not a spring chicken but at that mileage it was just out of Extended warranty and well short of the 150,000 km's that I paid for.
Long story short. Nissan knocked back any offer of assistance in the first instance. They then came back and offered a bottom end rebuild kit but no head and I had to sign a 'deed of release'.
Well the costs, on top this 'generous' offer, are still around $10,000 and not good enough for a diesel powered vehicle with this mileage.

VCAT (Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal) now seems my only recourse. There is also an 8 month wait if I go down the VCAT road but it looks like I don't have any other choice.

Are there any other options? Have YOU been successful at VCAT? If so what was your strategy? PM's are better for this information! :)

Cheers,
Leroy

P.S. I think you'd have to be nuts to buy one of these 3.0TD powered Patrols second hand. If it goes bang you're up for thousands.

·
Registered
nissan
399 Posts
You honestly didnt think the 'extended warranty' would actually cover you for anything did you?
May need to read the fine print of it - every one knows it isnt worth the paper its written on.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No it's out of warranty now by time, not kms.

There are terms that VCAT use such as 'implied warranty' and 'merchantable quality' which is what you base your claim on. Like if you buy a new TV and spend $2000 on it and it's warranty is only for 1 yr, it is expected to last a lot longer than just the warranty period. If it failed at 18 months then you would have a valid claim for the manufacturer reparing it.

As for the extended warranty Nissan didn't fix the rear door when it cracked as they reckon cracks are a part of wear and tear.....

Leroy

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
LOdge an application with VCAT...they will then write to Nissan informing them of the claim and start the process of setting a date for a hearing...... once Nissan realise you are serious they may review your situation.

The thing is with this stuff a dealers first answer is NO then 80% of people take that and go away leaving only 20% to deal with.....they then draw out the process for months and another 10% drop off ..... until finally for the few that stuck with it they may get a result.....

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
You honestly didnt think the 'extended warranty' would actually cover you for anything did you?
May need to read the fine print of it - every one knows it isnt worth the paper its written on.
What a ridiculous comment. You will find bundles of members on this forum that have stuff done under Nissan extended warranty all the time. His vehicle is outside of the extended warranty period obviously so has nothing to do with fine print.

The aftermarket extended warranties do relate to your comment but that is obviously not what this guy is on about. Factory extended warranties are not a problem as far as I ever heard.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
No it's out of warranty now by time, not kms.

There are terms that VCAT use such as 'implied warranty' and 'merchantable quality' which is what you base your claim on. Like if you buy a new TV and spend $2000 on it and it's warranty is only for 1 yr, it is expected to last a lot longer than just the warranty period. If it failed at 18 months then you would have a valid claim for the manufacturer reparing it.

As for the extended warranty Nissan didn't fix the rear door when it cracked as they reckon cracks are a part of wear and tear.....

Leroy
Don't get me wrong I wish you the best of luck. Have you seen current affair or today tonight or any of those stupid shows that used to be current affairs the last year or two. They are constantly banging on about $3k TV's that need $3k worth of repairs or are not repairable. VCAT would be full of claims on that crap. As I say best of luck but if the TV has a years warranty and lasts 2 does that make it a dud as it is twice the warranty period. Thats what has happened to you. The car has 3 years warranhty and is now past 6 it would seem.
As I say,,best of luck. If you persevere I am sure you will get "something" but it seems you already have "something".
My next question would be what are you sepdning the other $10k you have quoted on outside of the bottom end. I know a dealer currently installing a brand new long bare for under $10k drive in/drive out.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The extended warranty is not the issue.
Its the common problem of the pistons and the earlier motors.
I am not an expert, but I would see if you can get your hands on the bulletin or documentation for the fix kit that Nissan issued. Just by sending out a fix kit is a form of admission.
All helps anyway.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
What a ridiculous comment. You will find bundles of members on this forum that have stuff done under Nissan extended warranty all the time. His vehicle is outside of the extended warranty period obviously so has nothing to do with fine print.

The aftermarket extended warranties do relate to your comment but that is obviously not what this guy is on about. Factory extended warranties are not a problem as far as I ever heard.
That was very diplomatic of you Nizzbits... I was going to write Horse****.

I have even had stuff done under the extended warranty I didn't even ask for as it was picked up by the Mech's. I am also the second owner and it is serviced at a different dealer than the original so very pleased so far

Oh I should also say that with 2 and a bit years still to run that I am already in front on the $1400 the Nissan Factory Warranty cost me.

None of that helps Leroy tho :( ... Keep plugging away Leroy it doesn't cost much more than your own time so you can't end up worse off...

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
What 7 years old and you want them to do something about it??? seriously :roll:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't get me wrong I wish you the best of luck. Have you seen current affair or today tonight or any of those stupid shows that used to be current affairs the last year or two. They are constantly banging on about $3k TV's that need $3k worth of repairs or are not repairable. VCAT would be full of claims on that crap. As I say best of luck but if the TV has a years warranty and lasts 2 does that make it a dud as it is twice the warranty period. Thats what has happened to you. The car has 3 years warranhty and is now past 6 it would seem.
As I say,,best of luck. If you persevere I am sure you will get "something" but it seems you already have "something".
My next question would be what are you sepdning the other $10k you have quoted on outside of the bottom end. I know a dealer currently installing a brand new long bare for under $10k drive in/drive out.
They say the bottom end kit is worth $4k then the rest is the new head and labour. Seems like there is a bit of padding in the quote.

I have 2 quotes: 1 for a long motor $14k and another using a rebuild kit $14k. The extra labour associated with the bottom end rebuild kit costs more.

This was part of my dilemma as well as I could of got a new head installed for $3k but the dealer wanted $5k. I rolled the Nissan 'good will' dice and this is the situation I'm now in!

WRT to the TV if it lasts only 2 years then yes it's a dud!

Leroy

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Leroy said:
... my '04 Patrol recently cracking at around 93,000 km's.
As I said in the PM the other day, wish you all the best.

93,000 klms is disgraceful - and this on a second engine. Even if its 30yrs old a modern diesel should piss those sort of klms x 5 in standing on their cracked head. Its just not good enough. You should feel let down.

As I've said before, I really feel for people in this situation like Leroy. Its a position he nobody shouldnt find himself in. With that many klms on it, why isnt the company standing by their product instead of standing by their "its out of warranty" rights?

This situation is my whole problem with this engine and Nissan. They know its problems and history.

Many have had to cut their losses and flog the car for 1/2 what they owe on it. And to me, this isnt good enough. Who cares how many years old it is with those low klms on it, its not good enough. If it has a service history up to date, why shouldnt it be covered? Stand by your product?

What if Leroy doesnt have 14k laying around (many people dont), what happens to him then? Chuck it on ebay like dozens of others for $8k and lose 20-30k that he has to pay off for another 5yrs??

It's almost like they are saying you should be happy to get those sort of klms out of it and go away. To me thats barely run in for a diesel.

As you said, theres some massive padding going on there on them prices your getting.

For $14k I'd be lookin at other engine options - your more than 1/2 way to a Chev, you could go a TD42 for that money, Project Toni, or the other bloke with the V8 Diesel Yota donk. You've blown 2 now can you afford a third?

Buy a crate motor thru Nizzbits for 7500 I think he mentioned in another thread and hire a workshop for a weekend - Forum working bee on an engine swap for Leroy. Then flog it.

YMMV.

Back to my 03 Three Hills Merlot....

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Like Truckster said & I have said in the past, 7.5K for a new bare long motor from Nizzbits or the like.

$1500 - $1800 for removal & install of new motor. Under 10K drive away & many years of happy motoring mate.

Your quote of 14K for the new bare long motor is normal for Nissan service centres/spare parts.

An option of a rebuilt motor as per the other thread for under 5k would most likely suit you if funds are an issue.

If you want a new head, I have Genuine bare one for sale for 1k, cheapest around.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
paul.helm said:
$1500 - $1800 for removal & install of new motor. Under 10K drive away & many years of happy motoring mate.
he thought that last time :(

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
What 7 years old and you want them to do something about it??? seriously :roll:

Yeh he should just be happy with his 93 000km and stop whinging hey? I mean geez its 7 years old! That's still considered a relatively new car to a lot of people... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Even Kia Carnivals and Daweoos can crack the 100 000km mark. I agree with pretty much everything truckster has said.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
chunks said:
Yeh he should just be happy with his 93 000km and stop whinging hey? I mean geez its 7 years old!.
the thing is - the engine is not 7yrs old -yes the car is... If it was his blinker fluid that was ****ed then yes he should be out on his own.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the replies and a couple of interesting PM's.

Keep them coming

Thanks again,
Leroy

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
chunks said:
Sorry truckster I thought all my :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: would make my sarcasm obvious :eek:
na was agreeing..

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Even Kia Carnivals and Daweoos can crack the 100 000km mark. I agree with pretty much everything truckster has said.
You musta got the one good LS Carnival if you got 100k out of it. :)
It's ok though you can buy a complete engine for them for $3k now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts