Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
1,769 Posts
Hey guys

I'm looking online at some vehicles particularly pickles auctions

Short question I have is when they vehicle is entire Storm damage affected does this mean the vehicle may have been flooded?

There is a td42 GU there doesn't look bad but is this a thing where there's no way to see if it's any good until it's in your hands?

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
Storm damage usually means hail damage to skin.

If it is flooded they should say so. However, with the amount of rain and flooding of late you just never know.

However, if it is flooded then they are supposed to 'write offs'.

So you could check the National Written Off Vehicle Register against the VIN.

Edit;

Found this for Qld. See links for 'Flood Damaged Vehicles'.

RACQ - Flood damaged vehicle - advice | Cars & Driving

·
Premium Member
nissan
142 Posts
Stat write off means it can never be re registered, its only good for parts

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
We had a storm in WA a couple of years back, lots were statutory write-offs but only had cosmetic damage. But the Stat Write-off stated what the damage was. So I would still look.

Is there no way you can get to go and have a look? It may be a steal.

But then again ...

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
Pickles say hail damaged when its hail. These storm damaged cars have been under water.

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,529 Posts
my brother has a nissan wrecking yard. he never buys storm damaged vehicles because they have quite often been drowned.

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,576 Posts
Have you considered places such as this Brisbane Motor Imports: Performance Engines, Motors & Parts.

The website crashes continually on an iPad but will probably work on a computer. See if it suits your needs and you can go and inspect before purchase too given they are in Slacks Creek. Sure, it might be a drive from where you are but their located in Qld.

I first got onto them when I was looking at a new engine or suitable jap replacement for an MQ I had in the past.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brisbane motor imports have been on the hunt for me with no luck as yet.

Another importer wants close to 8k for a second hand td42... Where they get off charging that is beyond me

I think I'll Avoid the auctions too big of a gamble with all the flooding that's been around and with it only saying storm affected...

Thanks for the replys fellas

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
pickles might have lifted their game, but a few years ago they had some very dodgey staff who used to do shonkys on vehicles .... from first hand experience I wouldn't get one of their vehicles even if I was drunk

stat write off can be a nonsense though. my merc was a stat write off due to all the computers being blamed as the main expense (they all kicked into safe mode) after an accident. All it required was to reset them. But the insurer said that they were required to replace them all with new ones which was too expensive - I offered to buy the wreck as I was going to get the black box analyser out of russia and resurrect them all. At that point the insurer said that they'd do a stat write off so that I couldn't get it fixed (even with an eng cert)

waste of a car due to some knob assessor.

the yard at least let me gut it of all the good non factory bits. I'd just spent $5k on the engine, so I was mightily cranky

·
Registered
nissan
14 Posts
pickles might have lifted their game, but a few years ago they had some very dodgey staff who used to do shonkys on vehicles .... from first hand experience I wouldn't get one of their vehicles even if I was drunk
+1, my wife and I also had a bad experience due to purchasing a fixed price vehicle from Pickles a few years ago. I would never go there again and now have a healthy distrust of used car salesmen. Yes, I know everyone would say told you so, we were just gullible and believed the salesman, "inspected by our mechanics, 3 months statutory warranty blah, blah, blah".... never again....

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,186 Posts
Bought a hail damaged car at auction,checked it out first,had all the bits,low ks absentee bid

because I had to work,surprise/surprise I won it for the exact amount I offered,when I went

with the tilt tray to collect it,most of the dash switches ,window switches and other bits

were gone--"don't know mate,couldn't have been in it",I had already paid and it was a

bargain even with the ripoff,but I will be more careful next time.

Cheers,G.

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Definitely thinking I got lucky with my recent pickles write-off purchase, 03 VY with a bit of crumple under the passenger headlight, super tidy inside, bugger all bingles on the outside. After winning the auction for bugger all, I happened to read a few reviews of pickles, and then I started getting worried. But, the car was better condition than the photos showed.
Now I just need to yoink out the motor and give my ute a power boost.

·
Registered
nissan
2,450 Posts

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,094 Posts
Items 570 - 575 should interest a few. :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts