Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was wondering if anybody else has this problem. In my GU I have these vertical scratches about a third of the way from the front of the glass. Both passenger and driver side (front doors). It's like something was rubbing on the glass from inside the door at some stage and was scraping on the glass as it was going in and out of the door frame. I had the exact same scratches on my old GQ aswell in the same place. I'll take a pic if nobody knows what I'm on about but it seems it might be more common than I first thought. Questions:

1. What causes it.
2. What can I do to stop it happening again.
3. How do I remove scratches from glass

I want to get the windows tinted but would like to fix this up first.

Cheers

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,168 Posts
Have not seen this on a Troll but I have on other vehicles, usually it's something in the track mechanism allowing the window to move sideways allowing the glass to rub on the frame or the rubber/cloth guide has worn out allowing contact with the frame. If both doors are doing it that is a little unusual as it's the drivers door that cops the most traffic.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
17,959 Posts
Check that you or your partner has not wiped the glass with the back of the hand. Diamonds or other precious and semiprecious stones cut the glass easily.

·
Registered
nissan
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nah nothing like that. The car had it since we bought it. Same as the gq did and in the exact same place. I'll take a couple of pics.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really difficult to get the scratches to show on camera but you can kinda see on this shot. The scratches go all the way to the top of the glass both sides.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I had this in my GQ as well. It seemed to come about after a couple of trips to Centre and I thought it was caused by grit build up in the guides that wore a groove in the glass as we wound it up and down.

We also ended up with a couple of horizontal lines in the passenger window after my wife had her window half open when we travelled a section of the Savannah Way. I couldn't believe it cut into the glass in one day. We now only drive in the dirt with the windows fully up or down.

I will interested to see if you find out any other reason for the grooves.

·
Registered
nissan
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, seems like it was probably just some grit in there at some point. Anyone know of a glass polish or similar to get rid of it.

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,230 Posts
X2 Jamie4800 sand and rock fines caught in rubber wiper of door outer seal.
For glass polishing, call a dealer and ask to speak to the predelivery or after sales section. They will know glass polishers locally. I worked at a large Toyota dealership and we called in a guy a couple of times a month to sort out scratches on new and used car glass.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts