Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 4x4
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I eventually got around to fitting the Carter fuel pump I bought about 3 months ago.

It is so noisy, you have to have the fan on 3 to drown out the noise while driving.
Is this the case with other carter pump users?

I used the supplied mounting bracket with the rubber mounts. I will get a photo in the morning to see if the location is part of the problem. I've mounted it behind the right rear wheel, outside the chassis on the body right next to the body mount.
If I can't quieten it down it will be coming off.:(

·
Registered
nissan/swb gq
843 Posts
Just had the same problem with a carter Pump . Mine was mounted to the underside of the floor infront of the tank. even with the supplied ruber's it vibrated and was fricked loud .
only last night a changed out the rubber mounts for some better one's I got from the local bearing shop . there the rubber blocks ( approxx 20x20mm ) . one side has a 5mm captive nut and the other is a 5mm stud . Worked great .

without the engine running you can still just hear the pump . but once the engine starts you cant hear it at all .

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 4x4
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Nikolay, saw that in another thread about lift pumps. It's hard to find low pressure submersible pumps.
Anyway, sorted the problem buy using these between body and bracket.

Quietened it down heaps, can just hear it at idle if you listen hard.

Should be well protected once the mud flap is back on, will also put extra rubber in front of it and spay the pump and mount with Tectyl and put some protective cover over the fuel line.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
Mine can be heard when starting while the glow plugs are warming up but once the engine is running I really haven't noticed any noise inside the car.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
Nissan
526 Posts
I find mine is quite noisy, in fact its a bit embarrassing when I pull up to the lights at a pedestrian crossing. I have to have another go at sealing the connections so might try the rubber blocks. Where did you get them from FIRSTGU?.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 4x4
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UMMMM, I stole em. They are the mounts for the A/C condenser on a toyota landcruiser. We replace about 3 or 4 Condensers a week at work so i grabbed a few mounts before they went in the bin. I can get you some if your not in a hurry, I'm back at work on saturday so won't get to post them to you until wednesday next week.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Mine makes a racket too, but doesn't bother me.
I drilled three holes through the floor and popped the rubbers through.

Try putting the bracket the other way up and bolting the bracket to the chassis instead of the body. there's a good spot above the drivers side swaybar mount but you'll need a right angle drill and nutserts.

always ALWAYS have some kind of automatic cutoff on these.
I ran mine off the oil pressure switch using a double throw relay and a normal relay.
normal relay is energised by the ignition switch.

double throw relay is energised when there is NO oil pressure, so you use the normally closed contact.
when there is no oil pressure the double throw relay energises, when you get pressure the relay turns off, passing power to the pump.

So that is why you need the ignition relay as well, the ignition must be on to energise the "no oil pressure relay"

so in running condition, ignition relay is energised, oil pressure relay is not energised.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 4x4
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My intention was to run the earth from a relay through a normally open switch tee'd into the oil pressure switch. the pump won't run for the first few seconds until oil pressure is attained, which would close the switch, earthing a relay to activate the pump

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
that's a much simpler way of doing it.
I wanted to avoid the tee. I dont trust the brass fittings and I'd rather risk wiring reliability than oil pressure.
Plus the relays were what I had at the time :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 4x4
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not keen on brass fittings on the engine either. I'm using steel Parker fittings, like you, it's what i have or can access easily.

Not looking forward to getting at the oil pressure switch !!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just a quick question.
What is the main benifit on fitting a pump like this.
does it make the engine run smother / better.

Cheers Ian.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 4x4
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is suggested that supplying fuel pressure to the original lift pump in the injector pump, will lessen the strain on the pump and also it is believed that when the injector pumps are set up, they are supplied with a few pounds of pressure but when we drive them, they are sucking the fuel in.
I didn't feel or notice any difference to performance or power, but then i didn't expect to. Unless there is a problem with your original lift pump, I wouldn't expect a difference in idle either.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Full power 4wd launches mine used to stumble twice in 2nd and once in 3rd. always high in the rev range close to peak horsepower.
basically the pump just couldn't suck the fuel up from the back fast enough. the acceleration meant it was sucking the fuel "uphill".

I would not bother unless you are maxing out a standard GU turbo pump or have a modified earlier model pump. The standard system is pretty good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts