Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Read in the paper today that the Australian Government paid for relatives of the boat people who drowned at Xmas Island to attend their funerals in Sydney. That is very kind.
Here is the pic.

Anyone buried a relative lately? Cost of plot? Cost of headstone (note the one in the pic isn't a cheapie.)

Who paid...was it the boat people? Unlikely. Maybe the local Muslim community...maybe not.

Don't know what you blokes think about all of this. I know what I think. Would I vote for any politician who Okayed this?

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
For f**k sake, can this government do anything right. What else do we pay for that we know nothing about!!!!!
What didnt you know about? Was it hidden under your shoe? Its been the most talked about thing in days, it was out in the open before the funerals came about. For *ONCE* it wasnt something that the Gov tried to hide.

The bill was a pissy 300k (in gov wastage terms not even a hours interest on their savings).. the gov blows that on a "conference" each week.

in a SMH poll, 77% of 2350 people thought it was the right thing to do.

As his more conservative colleagues, led by the immigration spokesman, Scott Morrison, berated the government for stumping up airfares so a boy could bury his father and a mother her baby, it was Hockey who called for humanity amid a volatile political debate.

''No matter what the colour of your skin, no matter what the nature of your faith, if your child has died or a father has died, you want to be there for the ceremony to say goodbye, and I totally understand the importance of this to those families,'' Hockey said.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
I just about cried! What crap!!!!!!!

·
It's all good
nissan patrol
4,206 Posts
The bill was a pissy 300k (in gov wastage terms not even a hours interest on their savings).. the gov blows that on a "conference" each week.
so so so true

·
The Act of Faith
nissan patrol
2,650 Posts
when a war vet dies the gubbermint can chip in a whopping 2k for their funeral, only if they were a POW, lost a limb, or permanently incapacitated.

I could say things now..............but i don't want to crash the new servers

I really need to get that revolution going, can someone give me the number of the guys that did the Egypt job?

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
What didnt you know about? Was it hidden under your shoe? Its been the most talked about thing in days, it was out in the open before the funerals came about. For *ONCE* it wasnt something that the Gov tried to hide.

in a SMH poll, 77% of 2350 people thought it was the right thing to do.

As his more conservative colleagues, led by the immigration spokesman, Scott Morrison, berated the government for stumping up airfares so a boy could bury his father and a mother her baby, it was Hockey who called for humanity amid a volatile political debate.

''No matter what the colour of your skin, no matter what the nature of your faith, if your child has died or a father has died, you want to be there for the ceremony to say goodbye, and I totally understand the importance of this to those families,'' Hockey said.
My apologies for working 14 - 16hrs a day and not having the time to sit and read a newspaper or watch the idiot box. I was to busy earning money to pay for Someones funeral.

·
Registered
nissan
539 Posts
Seeking asylum by boat is not illegal. The majority who do by boat have their claims approved, a far greater proportion that arrive by plane do not. But boats are what we all worry about.

I can't see why the bodies had to go to Sydney in the first place, but seen as they were taken there by the Aussie government then I think it only fair to allow relatives to attend the funeral. Given they arrived by boat, it isn't likely they have the spare change for a plane. Then there is the small problem of being locked up and not allowed to enter the mainland...

<edited to remove text that would get me into yet another pointless argument on Australia's attitude to boats and foreigners>

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Seeking asylum by boat is not illegal. The majority who do by boat have their claims approved, a far greater proportion that arrive by plane do not. But boats are what we all worry about.
The greater argument is the loss of control of our borders, that means we have the right to choose who comes here.

Do you want to control who comes into your house?

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
The greater argument is the loss of control of our borders, that means we have the right to choose who comes here.

Do you want to control who comes into your house?
You can't control who comes to your house, but you can chose who to admit into your house.

I am not worried about boats. As said it is not illegal. What IS illegal is all these people coming over by plane on tourist visas and not leaving. They have money in the first place. People coming by boat, usually (especially by the time they actually land or are picked up) have NOTHING.

I think all this is another example of the media and government opposition blowing things WAAAY out of proportion to cause a ****storm in a teacup.

·
Registered
nissan
684 Posts
Given they arrived by boat, it isn't likely they have the spare change for a plane.

Hmm, got a quote from your friendly local people smuggler recently? Used to be around $5,000, but you know, inflation etc, could be more.

Pity some of the bleeding hearts can't have a chat to the Customs and Navy guys that actually do the dirty work. Might give a bit of a different perspective on what we are getting!!!

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,613 Posts
....Given they arrived by boat, it isn't likely they have the spare change for a plane. ....
If course those smugglers with their leaky boats do all this for charity/free out of generosity yadda yadda.... Did anyone fail to notice that those boarding passes on to those boats are actually way above what the airlines charge for their travel in style/safety/comfort.
These people are jumping the queues somehow believing that the our "pity/sympathy/compassion" will get them in.
In all honesty I don't care how many of them come but rest assured no one can fix world's problem by shuffling piles of people from one corner of the globe to another. Majority of those who come in here are "economic" migrants not desperate/wretched people who have nothing left as nobody gives you a ride to OZ for nothing full stop. The question needs to be asked, how many of those would come once they'd found out there is no social/economic welfare in here, why are they leaving those so called transit reasonable safe countries and are so hell bent in entering Oz/US/Canada or EU. Naah, I don't really want to know. The reason for funeral in Sydney was apparently most of those had/have some family members in there which makes you wonder even more about all above. My prediction is that in about 20 years time we'll have a civil war in here when all that mix of races/cultures will result in even greater frictions be it social, religious or environmental.
For the sake of our kids I surely hope not.
Cheers

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Given they arrived by boat, it isn't likely they have the spare change for a plane.
Hmm, got a quote from your friendly local people smuggler recently? Used to be around $5,000, but you know, inflation etc, could be more.

Pity some of the bleeding hearts can't have a chat to the Customs and Navy guys that actually do the dirty work. Might give a bit of a different perspective on what we are getting!!!

They either spend everything they have to get here - it is still less than transporting their whole family by plane.

maybe they cannot get passports to be able to buy plane tickets.

Too many people get wrapped up in emotive racist debates regarding boat people and ignore the people right under their noses that actually are here illegally. THe boat people come by boat knowing they'll have to justify why and how they got here. The plane arrivals are sneaky SOBs.

·
Registered
nissan
684 Posts
I prefer to be rational rather than emotive, but like Rumcajs I see big problems down the track. Think Britain, France, and other European countries! Nothing against immigration, but it must be controlled to the extent that people assimilate properly.

It's a pretty scary thought that most of these boat people know more about our social welfare system, and presumably how to wrought it, than most Australians. This is not heresay, it comes from people directly involved with the interception effort.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If it's not illegal, why are the boats classified as SIEV - Suspected ILLEGAL Entry Vessel.

I have no problem with helping to arrange the funerals or transportation of the bodies, but it should have been done at minimal expense to the taxpayers and at the closest possible place to where the incident occured.
My grandfather was a war veteran, the gov didn't pay for a cent of his funeral, where's the logic and compassion for someone that has served their country.
They know the risks of coming here in this fashion, and where they will be put, but still whinge.
I say take care of the massive problems at home and help the Australian citizens first.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The difference between boat people and overstayers is that the overstayers pay their own way. They can't get welfare or Medicare. They are no cost to us.

·
Registered
nissan
539 Posts

I had a chat to a lady who arrived on a boat, she watched as her husband and son were shot in Afghan - when the other son got home she left. 6 months later she arrived here and was put in detention.

I see people from the Darwin detention center daily at work, what we are getting is scared, scarred and lonely people. They have no idea about the welfare system, and certainly don't look like they are here to make a quick buck.

If it's not illegal, why are the boats classified as SIEV - Suspected ILLEGAL Entry Vessel.
I can't comment on the nomenclature the navy decides to use, but I can tell you it is not illegal to seek asylum this way.

·
Registered
nissan
539 Posts
The difference between boat people and overstayers is that the overstayers pay their own way. They can't get welfare or Medicare. They are no cost to us.
The other difference is:

Overstayers that get sent back to origin have to get a job or move in with mum and dad.

Boat people get tortured, imprisoned, killed, raped etc. when they end up back at origin.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts