Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a T-Max ( 10,000lbs ) winch through Opposite Lock about 10 months ago....the bloke at the store informed me that these winches were improved even further by opposite lock hence the opposite lock stickers on the actual winch.......

1st Time I used it - works fine

2nd time I used it - It seemed slower and the wireless part did not work

3rd Time I used it - Nothing............ Pulled it out and discovered the solenoid is stuffed.

It has done one water crossing where it would have been splashed maybe under for a few seconds ....

The response from Opposite Lock "sorry mate 6 month warranty only from T max when I asked further I am told that T-MAx has been purchased by a parent company ( Haigh or something like that ) and they are avoiding honouring previous warranties anyway WTF ..........

I then ask how much to replace the solenoid and wireless reciever and they tell me $250 which seems like a reasonable price .... so I agree and they tell me it will be in within 2-3 days....called into OP today to pick it up to be told that it is on back order and will take 4-5 weeks

So it looks like I will be undertaking our planned December adventure winchless........ or maybe I should just make a nuisance of myself in their store until they give me my money back.

Anyone know if these winches are renowned for problems etc...... ?

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
...or maybe I should just make a nuisance of myself in their store until they give me my money back.
they would just laugh.. its your time your wasting.

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everyone these days seems to be recommending Tigerz 11 have you guys had any experiences with water crossings etc........ do they hold up

My old winch went through at least 30 -40 crossings over about 7 years and was still going strong when I sold the car..... it was also a T-Max

I know solenoids and wireless recievers etc..... are temperamental things but surely some are better regarded than others any pointers or recommendations ? There is not much worse tha getting stuck only to realise that your winch is no longer working.

·
Registered
nissan
11,202 Posts
The tigerz solenoid is water proof I'm pretty sure and a pretty good buy.
I'd give that a go
And my tigerz has been they heaps of water crossings and so far so good touch wood.

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a quick update on this ..........

IT would appear that OL do provide good service...just several hours after posting my issues I have received, much to my suprise, a PM from one of our forum members who is also operations manager for Opposite Lock he has asked that I provide him with the initial purchase information etc... and he will look into the matter for me and attempt to find a resolution......

if he is able to help = fantastic
if not = a little disappointing

( but either way, Im impressed that they have taken the time to contact me, in an attempt to get to the bottom of the issue )

·
Registered
nissan patrol swb gq
200 Posts
A bloke on one of the forums (can't remember) had a solenoid stuff up on his Tigerz11 winch, and when he rang Tigerz they sent him a new one free of charge to his door. Thats service. Makes Opposite Lock look quite stupid. As mentioned above they are not doing you any favours with the back-up service at all.The remote and solenoid should be replaced for you free of charge as even the cheaper winches have a 12 month warranty. That spells the word CRAP not TMAX.
At least you know now where not to shop in the future hey?
Even though a forum member has advised he will look into it, the shop staff should have betten him to it. Sorry but to me thats still spells CRAP.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Tractor88 said:
A bloke on one of the forums (can't remember) had a solenoid stuff up on his Tigerz11 winch, and when he rang Tigerz they sent him a new one free of charge to his door. Thats service
The difference is as in one other thread they are $150 to buy out of China. Tigger could replace it 4 times and still be ahead.
OL are only a reseller. They are probably on consignment. Nothing to do with them at all.

the cheaper winches have a 12 month warranty..
so its OL's fault theres 6mths warranty on it?

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,683 Posts
Hi Polar Bear,
Yes, the Tigerz soleonids are waterproof. :)
Iv'e run one with a remote control for the last 3 years with no issues at all.
Being a lot smaller, it also fits inside the c section of the bullbar.

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all,

Firstly, thankyou for everyones help and suggestions,

in the end the guys at Opposite Lock have looked after me and replaced the controller and solenoid, mainly thanks to one of our forum members who got the ball rolling for me.

So everything is good and I can go and get stuck again :)

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
hes a sexy little bald bloke.

·
It's all good
nissan patrol
4,206 Posts
Even though Polar Bear's problem with his winch has been resolved the poor customer service originally from OL will stick , they could/should of deal with it better

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
Yet again bruce being a tool. Providing 5/8'ths of fark all info just a quick shot in the ribs of utterly useless crap.

·
It's all good
nissan patrol
4,206 Posts
Yet again bruce being a tool. Providing 5/8'ths of fark all info just a quick shot in the ribs of utterly useless crap.
LOL , gold

·
Registered
nissan
95 Posts
just read your post and thought the response that they would not honour the warranty was a load of BS.
If an item is under manufacturers warranty it is YOUR decision whether you would like it replaced, repaired or a refund the shop who sold it to you has to deal with what the manufacturer is or is not doing.
No matter what the sales guy tries to tell you.

Well done to OL for looking after you in the end.
Cheers

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Just a quick update on this ..........

IT would appear that OL do provide good service...just several hours after posting my issues I have received, much to my suprise, a PM from one of our forum members who is also operations manager for Opposite Lock he has asked that I provide him with the initial purchase information etc... and he will look into the matter for me and attempt to find a resolution......
Dissappointing how it takes bit of bad press get them motivated.
Lucky for you the OM is a Patrol forum member ay.
If he could fix the issue for you no probs why wouldn't the shop do the same thing?

·
Registered
nissan patrol swb gq
200 Posts
Spot on. That was my point from the start. Very poor service from the OL staff from the beginning. Getting the prob fixed by having your say on a forum. WOW.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts