Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan 04 gu leaf cab chassis
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Hoping someone can help me out here, i've just had a new set of steelies put onto my ute(leaf rear) to replace the split rims as they used to vibrate a wee bit. However the vibration still occurs when i reach 90-100 kmh, a bit worse now(maybe due to the larger surface area hugging the road?)
The wheels where balanced and aligned when fitted and i am starting to think the vibrations may be shock absorbers? am i right or is it something completely different?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3 Posts
Hi Tubz
I work in the wheel and tyre industry Nissan Patrols ard known to be a bit of a shaker, What wheel and what brand tyre did you put on? Some tyre brands can have heavy spots and some are not as round as you may think. I would start with match mounting the tyres to the rims and wire brush the junk from the wheel hubs(this should give you a clean flat surface for your rim to sit against) try that firts before spending $ on shocks, dampers,bushes,and bits.

good luck mate

ps check your front wheel bearings for adjustment.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey john, the wheels are just plain white avanti brand ones i think. the tyres are toyo a/t open countrys (265) and are lt specification. I might try that on the weekend if i can borrow a mated jack . i will be getting a lift kit in the next few months though so im hoping that fixes the problem in the long run :S

·
Registered
Nissan
255 Posts
I had this problem once my steelies were put one...it all comes down to the wheel balancing, it has to be done perfectly otherwise wheel vibrations and shaking will happen..The tyre place who supplied my new steelies and bf at's had 3 goes at balancing the wheels and was no good, took it to another tyre place and he got the balancing spot on and all was good

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey I checked the tail shaft and it's fine,
So I'm hoping the balancing is out, does anyone know of anyone good on the northside of
Brisbane??

·
Eric the Vigilante
nissan
392 Posts
Your title states the its steering wheel vibrations, but your post suggests its the wheels/tyres themselves.

Steering shakes is a different prob. and in most (not all) cases is camber which may be fixed by offset king-pin bearings (cured mine)

If the whole vehicle is shaking that is another story and different from car to car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the steering wheel shakes when i get like above 80, apparently you can feel it when your a passenger as well, it used to happen with my split rims and seems to have gotten a tiny bit worse now with the wider profile tyres, when the tyre shop put the new tyres and rims on the aligned and balanced them, should i go and get them to rebalance them? or should i wait until after i see my actual mechanic and get him to have a look under and check all the components and make sure its nothing else?

·
Registered
nissan
796 Posts
mate get them balanced at a tyre power, I use the burpengary one or the caboolture one they both have very good machines and do a great job
check your front panhard bushs, (dont just look at them, take it off and have a close look)
check your wheel bearing adjustment
check for movement in all your tie rod and drag link ends

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Adoom, i had them balanced and fitted at tyrepower brendale, i think i might just go back there and get them to rebalance them see if it helps, im starting to think it might be a panhard problem though, can i take them off without jacking the car off the ground?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just went to tyrepower this afternoon to get them to rebalance the wheels, they took it for a drive and realised it was vibrating then rebalanced the wheels, still had the same problem, they said that i might need a new steering damper because the stock one on there is ****ed apparently, then went to the mechanic to ask him about his opinion, he said he would check all my bushs on thursday when its getting serviced, hopefully its nothing too sinister :( not sure if its worth getting a new steering damper just yet if im getting it lifted in the next 6 months anyway.:S

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
just went to tyrepower this afternoon to get them to rebalance the wheels, they took it for a drive and realised it was vibrating then rebalanced the wheels, still had the same problem, they said that i might need a new steering damper because the stock one on there is ****ed apparently, then went to the mechanic to ask him about his opinion, he said he would check all my bushs on thursday when its getting serviced, hopefully its nothing too sinister :( not sure if its worth getting a new steering damper just yet if im getting it lifted in the next 6 months anyway.:S

Bull****, a steering damper is there to protect you from ripping ya thumbs off when the tyres get a jolt through the steering line.

Panhard bushes, no antsie fancie smansie polyies just good ole genuine rubber. Second radius arm bushes in ... you guessed it ... genuine rubber. Next castor o line. Failing that take your shims out of the king pinion assembly.

Im not playing down the "proper" balacing of wheels on nissans but ........... if the tyres are 0 balanced on a machine that should be good enough ...

You have problems elsewhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.