Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday can anyone help i have just bought a 94 gq patrol 4.2 after market turbo wich has a vibration in it at the top of 1st & at the bottom of 2nd gear under slow acceleration, but no vibration if you accelerate quickley any advise would help thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It's a Patrol thing~ what you are describing sounds like the noise that they all make when you are at low speed with no load. Mine does it and i am sure that others will concurr.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,383 Posts
Ya its a Patrol/Safari thing. But I consider it my beast giving a nice little purr saying, "yep were going for a run."

·
Registered
154 Posts
LOL - when I had my 2.8TD I had the same issues. Just don't drive the engine at low revs, if you keep the revs over 2000 it won't make that sound. Yeah I know that is not a TD42 but I just wanted to join in on the patrol thing ;)

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,403 Posts
I've been going through my 1989 2.8 TD GR SWB trying to remove the low rev vibes. Yes, I accept its a Patrol thing but there are limits and the 2.8 doesn't have that truck gearbox !

Replaced gearbox mounts and it improved - slightly

I found that the front of the first exhaust box was hanging without support. Bought the bracket and rubber from Mr Nissan (after he told me that it wasn't supposed to be fitted to my truck) and wow, it made a huge difference.

Changed body mounts, and again, wow, what a difference, loads better, even the wife says its good now (and this is someone who always changes gear way to soon !)

Also found many loose and badly fitting things like that metal plate under the rad, loose as a very loose thing, causing a hell of a din at a certain rpm. front bumber / bull bar vibrating due to loose fitting, etc etc.

So, its well worth making sure the obvious things are in good order. My truck is 18 years old and its fair to expect, I think, wore rubbers, loose screws etc. so check it all out.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I reckon it comes mainly from a pressure plate thats wearing down and not distributing even pressure on the clutch, hence you feel the vibrations at low speeds untill the clutch settles down on the fly wheel.

I just put in a new clutch kit a couple of days ago and the vibrations are completely gone.

Just a thought anyway, i could be wrong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I reckon it comes mainly from a pressure plate thats wearing down and not distributing even pressure on the clutch, hence you feel the vibrations at low speeds untill the clutch settles down on the fly wheel.

I just put in a new clutch kit a couple of days ago and the vibrations are completely gone.

Just a thought anyway, i could be wrong.
I think this is the culprit. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts