Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just bought a Y61 3.0 Patrol GR 2003.
Experiencing some vibration problems on the front left (nearside) and I have attached some pictures of the offside and nearside. One axle is leaking in my opinion and the other seems bone dry?? The vibration and noises are when coming to a stop or when turning. Is there a problem with seals? Cv joints? Bearing? Hub?

Attachments

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,204 Posts
Oh yes, that is leaking but it appears to be grease. The issue could be one of a few things, I would be checking wheel bearings and king pins setup to start with.

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,179 Posts
Hi guys, just bought a Y61 3.0 Patrol GR 2003.
Experiencing some vibration problems on the front left (nearside) and I have attached some pictures of the offside and nearside. One axle is leaking in my opinion and the other seems bone dry?? The vibration and noises are when coming to a stop or when turning. Is there a problem with seals? Cv joints? Bearing? Hub?
The creamy muck indicates water incursion,and the axle seal has failed allowing diff oil to fill the hub and leak through the ball.A complete hub strip is in order,be prepared for water damaged wheel bearings.Check the diff oil too,and the breather tube is ok,

Cheers,G.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,036 Posts
One axle is leaking in my opinion and the other seems bone dry??
Yeah, you have a leaking axle seal. Undo one of the lower king pin bearing cap bolts and see what comes out. If there is no creamyness to the oil there then no water has gotten in and just a seal replacement is needed. This involves a bit of work as the whole steering knuckle has to come off. Most people do both sides at the same time. If there has been water in there then the king pin bearings should be changed and the CV joint checked.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,204 Posts
@jgh112 how many K's do you have up and what driving history does the vehicle have? I rebuilt my front end in 2017, it had well over 300,000k on it then, I had a weeping swivel hub seal like yours but decided to do the whole lot in one go, because this old girl I've owned since new is staying around, so how far you go depends on your future plans.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@jgh112 how many K's do you have up and what driving history does the vehicle have? I rebuilt my front end in 2017, it had well over 300,000k on it then, I had a weeping swivel hub seal like yours but decided to do the whole lot in one go, because this old girl I've owned since new is staying around, so how far you go depends on your future plans.
the old girl has 120k miles on the clock so not even run in yet.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,204 Posts
There is a lot of what looks like hard crud build up on the swivel which is concerning, OK only 120,000 miles but what has been the conditions over that time? Mine has 236,000 miles (380,000k), done a hell of a lot of offroad in variable conditions and mine is shiny, paint missing but still shiny.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a lot of what looks like hard crud build up on the swivel which is concerning, OK only 120,000 miles but what has been the conditions over that time? Mine has 236,000 miles (380,000k), done a hell of a lot of offroad in variable conditions and mine is shiny, paint missing but still shiny.
Yeah right, I’ll give that a check mate.
In regards to this vibration when turning and coming to a hault from the left side (the dry ball) is due to the build up of junk?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,204 Posts
Yeah right, I’ll give that a check mate.
In regards to this vibration when turning and coming to a hault from the left side (the dry ball) is due to the build up of junk?
Don't know, but that build up looks strange, there must be a reason, I'm really thinking something strange is going on in there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts