Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
nissan patrol mk
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, dodgy title hehe :rolleyes:

Got a bit of vibration going on somewhere in the rear (of my car). I'm thinking the rear drive shaft or hand break drum perhaps?

what happens is that when I go about 80 km/h I get a tiny vibration, sort of a hum if you will. This is mainly evident when accelerating and is slightly more noticeable when decelerating

I think this could be the cause of me not having the EDIC connected, and I've been stalling the engine (put it in gear, dump the clutch whilst holding a foot on the break) :idiot:

any suggestions where to start looking?

Thanks in advance
Martin

Quickest Tyre Deflator On The Market
nissan
Martin, It could be tailshaft ballance, uni joints or a problem with the diff itself, dump the oil and have a look for metal or silvery oil.
Stick a choke cable on the injector pump as a temporary shut down as you are not doing the clutch any favours by contantly stalling her. cheers.;)

Registered
ferret sounds on the money, the shock loads must be damaging something.

my mates rear diff went, chips all over teeth, this gave a rather loud strange throbbing/humming noise. when he was driving and i was in different car next to him, you could hear it easily.

Registered
nissan
So it's a vibration that you feel as opposed to just hearing a hum?

Do a bit of testing, when you're doing 80 or faster, put in the clutch and coast for a little to see if the hum persists or changes note. I've got a hum without vibration in my old girl starting at half your speed, and I'm pretty damn certain I've pinpointed it to the gearbox.

Registered
nissan
i have a cheeky vibration coming on as well. i'm thinking it might be a tail shaft slightly out of whack or something like that. will have a look tonight and let you know what i find. might help you

Registered
nissan mk
Yes, pop it into neutral and coast at 80km and see if it still there, if it is could be pinion or carrier bearings (need to check if noise goes away when coasting with car in gear and very small engine load) but unis shouldn't rattle if no load. Tail shaft balance problems get worse as you speed up.

KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
Go get your tyres re balanced for a coupla $$$ it could be it or maybe not
My old mq wagon had a vibration issue get to 80 shook like hell,but after that wasnt there
The prob was found after the rear tyre exploded and damaged the car

Registered
nissan
been there done that with the stalling it thing. Dont do it, OR at least do it in 4th gear( direct drive).

I snapped a countershaft in my gearbox after months of doing it. run a choke cable into the cab and make it a pull cable to stop.

Vibration is prob everything getting upset from stalling it.

Registered
nissan
i had the same sort of sound i few months back , found my rear wheel bearings where ****ed! so new one fixed the prob. could be anything but.
and dose it hurt to have a choke cable set up instead of the factory way of turning the car off??

Registered
nissan patrol mk
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys, got another diff to go into the rear anyhow, so that is hopefully what it is :) Otherwise I'll have to look at putting the 5 speed in there

I should go get a choke cable, can't believe how laze I've been on that front :p

The humm is the sound of the vibration, so yeah it vibrates ;) The vibration stays when in neutral at 80km/h +

PigMK: there is no real difference... only difference is, that the cars "computer" does have a safety fail, which you obviously won't have in the case of a choke cable (provided you're upside down passed out)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts