Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talking to a truckie at the pub the other day he mentioned that VicRoads have purchased a few Commodores to use as pursuit cars. I didn't think too much of it, but today I passed a VicRoads S or SS Commodore that looked setup for pursuit on Mt Slide.

·
Registered
Nissan
142 Posts
Do VicRoads have the authority to pull you over?

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
Why would VicRoads want a Pursuit Car. Does a pothole need fixing immediately? Or are they giving these to thier Parking Inspectors to issue tickets in?

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
But they dont carry the toys the boys in blue have

·
Registered
378 Posts
they can pull you over defect you and stuff but in sa they dont have an exemption to go over the speed limit to catch you that exemption requires blue lights and rta only have magenta

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU6
98 Posts
I know a little about the subject..
Yes they have all the provisions under the act and follow the same Vic road rules and road safety act as the boys in blue, however policy would say something along the lines of their function is to regulate the tow trucks and light to heavy vehicles..
If you ever get stopped by one of them - you would be unlucky, it would be to get his or her stats up... I'm sure that they would get a please explain if returning to office with defects/tickets from everyday drivers in sedans and 4wds..
hope this helps

·
Registered
nissan
235 Posts
They can pull you over and if they do,consider yourself in trouble. They mostly deal with heavy traffic but can do cars too. I remember seeing one with a taxi one night and seeing the Vicroads officer writing out about 8 pages of what looked like "tickets". Judging by the look on the cabbie's face. it was all bad news. I moved on so I don't know if the car was put off the road then and there.

As for needing pursuit cars.. Even if all they did was Trucks.. How many people have been overtaken by a truck on a freeway? I remember in my early silly days doing about 150 on the Hume at night when a truck appeared from nowhere behind us and passed us like we were nanna!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have seen an unmarked ve sv6 ute in town during harvest. Giving truck drivers hell.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU6
98 Posts
They can pull you over and if they do,consider yourself in trouble. They mostly deal with heavy traffic but can do cars too. I remember seeing one with a taxi one night and seeing the Vicroads officer writing out about 8 pages of what looked like "tickets". Judging by the look on the cabbie's face. it was all bad news. I moved on so I don't know if the car was put off the road then and there.

As for needing pursuit cars.. Even if all they did was Trucks.. How many people have been overtaken by a truck on a freeway? I remember in my early silly days doing about 150 on the Hume at night when a truck appeared from nowhere behind us and passed us like we were nanna!!
Your right they used to regulate taxi's as well. You must of seen an old dinasour driving around that need to get his qouta up. There are Officers that do just taxi's that can book everyday drivers as well. As for pursuit cars.. its more about catching up to a speeding truck while they are hiding in the scrub or just getting from one side of town to the other- coz they can :lol:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Over her, they have very close to the same power's as a regular police officer when it comes to traffic laws, they even drive the same model x-trails etc as some of the police with bue and red lights on top

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
One of the tosser's lives around the corner from me. Just moved into a brand new house and parks the Vicroads SS pursuit car out the front every night. Haven't seen him yet to see how fast he runs before I try to check his tyre inflation one night. :)
Not a fan of ex Railways coppers who think thei stuff don't stink.
Sure I may be biased from past run ins with them. :)

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Im not sure if they are allowed to do high speed pursuits, as I dont belive they have the comms and training that the boys in blue do.

·
Registered
nissan
73 Posts
Im sure as from Queens Birthday 2010 they have the same rights as victorian HWY patrol to book any Vehicle

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU6
98 Posts
Im sure as from Queens Birthday 2010 they have the same rights as victorian HWY patrol to book any Vehicle
That was only for a period of time to assist the Hwy patrol last year and will probaly happen again this year..

They work one up so don't let them push you around if stopped. Challenge their reason if you get stopped for no reason. They have comms and have emergency status on their vehicle to crash lights and speed.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU6
98 Posts
One of the tosser's lives around the corner from me. Just moved into a brand new house and parks the Vicroads SS pursuit car out the front every night. Haven't seen him yet to see how fast he runs before I try to check his tyre inflation one night. :)
Not a fan of ex Railways coppers who think thei stuff don't stink.
Sure I may be biased from past run ins with them. :)
Spot on Nizzbits...

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I'm 90% certain that they are not suposed to do High Speed Pursuits, as they dont have Police comms. All High Speed Pursuits are tighly controled

They have authority to pull any vehicle over - that is breaking the law. But there are concerns as they are not armed or trained to handle difficult motorists

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU6
98 Posts
I'm 90% certain that they are not suposed to do High Speed Pursuits, as they dont have Police comms. All High Speed Pursuits are tighly controled

They have authority to pull any vehicle over - that is breaking the law. But there are concerns as they are not armed or trained to handle difficult motorists
Hi gp
Agree with high speed pursuits being tightly controled, They do get extensive driver training and are exempt from speed limits in emergency situations. I would rather deal with a difficult motorist than an interstate truckie without no sleep any day.. having said that I here that there is more training being planned for them and I've even heard of them being tooled up for their shift, God help us my 2cents worth

1 - 20 of 28 Posts