Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2 weeks ago, I went out quite late on a Sunday out to Bunyip SP. On the way towards the park, I passed a Vicroads van heading away from the park. This was probably around 4-5pm in the afternoon. Does anyone know whether these vans setup around these popular areas and do RW checks? and if so, how strict are they normally with regards to 35" tyres? or do they just look for the more obvious things like tyres outside of guards, no mud flaps, general RW stuff, etc. I did notice quite a number of 4by's leaving the park with big tyres and high lift whom I assume had no problems.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
If its a vicroads van setup to check roadworthys, they will fine tooth comb it.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
could have been a dude on his way home from work, or down to get some milk....

·
Registered
nissan
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
do vicroads have authority to chase you?
I'm assuming that if you were worried about them chasing you, you've probably just rammed through their baricade and you'll have bigger problems than VicRoads. But seriously, I'm pretty sure they would chase you just as they pull over trucks on the roads. But rather than arrest you, you’d probably get done on anti-hooning laws and get your truck impounded and even permanently confiscated. Oh the horror!!

Whilst the van could have indeed just been there for other reasons, my assumption was based more on the fact that it was Cup day which, as you know, happens to coincide with the reopening of most tracks after winter. This thought together with seeing this van, which looked kinda out of place in that area, made me consider whether this was a common practice around such popular places. I’m relatively new to the 4’by scene and just wanted to hear of others’ experience on such things.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,401 Posts
I'm assuming that if you were worried about them chasing you, you've probably just rammed through their baricade and you'll have bigger problems than VicRoads. But seriously, I'm pretty sure they would chase you just as they pull over trucks on the roads. But rather than arrest you, you’d probably get done on anti-hooning laws and get your truck impounded and even permanently confiscated. Oh the horror!!

Whilst the van could have indeed just been there for other reasons, my assumption was based more on the fact that it was Cup day which, as you know, happens to coincide with the reopening of most tracks after winter. This thought together with seeing this van, which looked kinda out of place in that area, made me consider whether this was a common practice around such popular places. I’m relatively new to the 4’by scene and just wanted to hear of others’ experience on such things.

They use baricades to stop you in VIC???

·
Registered
nissan
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The baricade thing was a joke but I'm sure they'd still come after you if did a u-turn. Just as the cops chase you at breathalyzer stations.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts