Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

VIC SES has sent out a safety bulletin to all its members in relation to the use of Nissan Patrol Vehicles.

Basically states that due to the standard config of gear we need to carry on them, it puts them close to the GVM without Fuel or passengers.

They have suggsted the following :

Action 1: The use of Nissan Patrols is restricted to carrying the following loads:
• 3 people with no additional kit or equipment, OR
• 2 people with up to 4 personal kits; OR,
• 1 person with either a storm or flood kit.

The Transport List is included with these allowable loads but does not factor in any drawer configurations installed.
Action 2: Where more equipment is required to be carried than is allowed by Action 1, either a second vehicle or a trailer must be used to carry excess equipment.

They state that we can tow a trailer, however no limits, ball weights etc are noted. Given the Patrol can tow 3T, dont see how this all makes sense...

·
Registered
nissan
508 Posts
I believe that wa ses is moving away from landcruisers for the same reason.

Shane

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Pretty soon SES will be restricted to handing out ponchos and freshly laundered towels during flood operations... seriously, if they keep regulating it down, the people in SES who can actually get the job done will give up and walk away.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty soon SES will be restricted to handing out ponchos and freshly laundered towels during flood operations... seriously, if they keep regulating it down, the people in SES who can actually get the job done will give up and walk away.
Couldnt agree more, surprised in some respects they let us drive at all, and use chainsaws !

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
It's no doubt an oversight by their procurement people or simple the office weenies don't have a clue what happens in the field. They should have got gvm upgrades at the time of purchase or bought troopies to carry all the kit required.

They're right not to put vollies at risk by requiring them to use vehicles made technically unsafe by overloading.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's no doubt an oversight by their procurement people or simple the office weenies don't have a clue what happens in the field. They should have got gvm upgrades at the time of purchase or bought troopies to carry all the kit required.

They're right not to put vollies at risk by requiring them to use vehicles made technically unsafe by overloading.
The risk is minimal. I would imagine a large majority of vehicles on this forum would weigh much more than our Unit's GU would fully loaded.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Insurance is the killer and regrettably they have no choice at the end of the day. Insurance companies would not give a rats if people were injured as volunteers - if they can find a way to get out of a claim, they're on it. Paul is correct, GVM upgrade is the only solution here. Even though risk is indeed minimal.

But they are killing SES with all this stuff. It's hard enough to get good volunteers as it is. When I was in (1999-2008 ) we had a bunch of guys and girls who were military, ambos, police, tradies etc. Big strong guys and girls with good heads and the nous to work in dangerous situations with a reasonable degree of safety. But they made up maybe 20% of the unit; the rest were teenager, elderly retirees, obese guys and girls, and more than a few special people. All salt of the earth people, but not up to a lot of what is required in SES - crowd/traffic control, chainsaw operations, roof operations etc. But between them, the unit was able to tackle anything that came up.

The problem is that those capable types are a lot less tolerant of regulatory interference. They know what to do and how to do it and just want to get on with it... and will walk away if they can't do so. I had a choice when I came to Queensland, SES or RFS... I chose RFS for that exact reason, although it's creeping in there too.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Next they won't be allowed to have a beer after work in case they hurt themselves.http://www.autoguide.com/mobile
Well it's not work... all voluntary. But you're in the ballpark, we were not allowed to drink alcohol when in the orange overalls. I remember one particular evening after 14 hours chainsawing widowmakers and the odd tree down on the roads in/out of Berowa Waters following the 2003 fires, when we went for welfare (SES term for chow) at Hornsby RSL... I had to sit with my back to the beer taps, otherwise I was going to cry :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
CFA went thru this a few years ago. Our hilux was too heavy on front axle. The CFA did a GVM upgrade on it.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CFA went thru this a few years ago. Our hilux was too heavy on front axle. The CFA did a GVM upgrade on it.
Funny thing is..so did the ses...we replaced our hilux with...you guessed it....a patrol

·
Registered
nissan
1,109 Posts
They should have got gvm upgrades at the time of purchase or bought troopies to carry all the kit required.
70 series are very dangerous cars. I hated driving them at work. A overloaded Patrol is much safer than a Troopie with the same weight, they are so tall and skinny and handle like ****. The insurance companies don't care though.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
If a car is heavier than the manufacturer intends it to be its steering braking and cornering are compromised. Under work place health and safety laws the govt can't put an employee at risk and an employee cant knowingly put themselves or others at risk. If you were the driver of a vicses patrol that was known to be overloaded and you crashed in circumstances where steering braking and cornering were factors you could go to jail if someone was injured whether they be another ses member or another motorist. You'd get the usual police charges as well.

These days it's just not worth risking an overweight vehicle particularly if it's a work vehicle and your an employee, manager, senior manager or director.

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,613 Posts
So what does that tell you all? These Toyos and Nissans are pretty much useless as emergency services vehicles when it comes to carrying the kits required. So it does make sense, why use of the shelf useless passenger cars to carry out such tasks.

Get light trucks with 4x4 capability and you are done. Sadly more Japanese POS boxes in that case.

This just showcases what miserable and utterly flimsy vehicles Japanese are producing these days.

Jap cars are just barely engineered to stay on the road with one passenger and shopping bag forged heavy duty stuff or extra tasks.

Its time tis country woke up and smelled the roses. Jap cars are POS, cheaply made with barely any strength in them not like bullet proof tin cans of their from yestyears.

Toyota and Nissan are just skeletons of their old. Toyo having the worlds most recalled cars distinction of late and Nissan is probably not far behind but cost cutting king with one idiotic decision after another.

I bet you the Tata or Dongfeng is built stronger than anything Japs can muster these days with their cost cutting regimes they've been running in last 20 years.

It is a disgrace and the stupid sheep keep swallowing the lies.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissangu
18 Posts
I agree that it is getting stupid with emergency services. Being in the CFA we had that with both our hilux FCV and landcruiser bigfill. I'm most cases these restrictions come around from that one cowboy in these organisations that do something stupid in these vehicles which then makes them change their setups. I think you would find that if u put these people in an army tank they would still manage to stuff it up and get restrictions on it

1 - 20 of 25 Posts