Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, tell me if I'm wrong here...

If I have a trailer, less than 3m long, not wider than the tow vehicle and less than 200kg empty, I do not need to have the trailer registered https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/new-registration/exemptions-from-registration

So I can get a 180kg (basically frame and axle) 5' wide trailer less than 3m long. THEN I can place a 1,000L IBC, fire pump and hose reel on it.

BUT to be good with the insurance overlord peoples, I'll need a 1,500kg axle with brakes to meet the tow vehicles >750kg limit requirements.

So I can essentially have a 1,000L fire water cart unregistered?!

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
304 Posts
That’s the way I read it. But you would still need to buy a number plate that matches the tow vehicle.

For small stuff like that on the farm we just paid the $57 rego fee yearly so it had its own number plate. Didn’t matter what we towed it with then.

·
Registered
506 Posts
It's been that way in Vic. for as long as I can remember for a 6x4 trailer.
The moment you cross into NSW. they will book you on sight. if not properly registered.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,031 Posts
I thought exempt trailers in Victoria had a maximum allowable ATM of 750kg :confused:.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,031 Posts
Can you find that in regulations? I can't
No, because I was going from memory. Because I'm not working today, I rang VicRoads and asked them.

So long as the trailer is legal (roadworthy, not overloaded, lights working and visible, load correctly restrained, etc.) and the empty trailer meets the requirements for exemption (which you listed in the first post) there is no limit on the ATM of an exempt trailer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts