Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vitamin & Mineral Supplements. We should all take them. Now there is a Giant-killer!

I've taken V&M supplements for years. I know our foods are depleted and there's been plenty of evidence to prove it, zinc for instance is very low in Australian foods and also iodine. But now there is a new kid on the block "spirulina"...it is an all natural powerhouse of everything we need.

There have been "clinical trials" and plenty of anecdotal testimonies...just look at Google.

In any case, I suggest you do a bit of research and see what it's all about.
Could save your life.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
2 teaspoon coffee, 3 of raw brown sugar and full cream milk works for me.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,351 Posts
spirulina has been around for years...

my grandad ate boiled veg and steak almost every day, did a bit of excercise and keep the brain active with a girlfriend, cross words and other interests, he lived to 105... sounds like a proven formula.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JohnH. Your Grandfather did well. He lived in a time when our food was not as poor and lacking in vital nutrients as it is now. That would have built his immune system.

I have uncles who lived well into their nineties. They grew up in Orkney, ate plenty of fish and naturally grown vegetables. We do not have the same food today. There is not much organic stuff available. Most farmers use NPK (nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus) makes the plants grow OK but they lack all the other vital elements.

Look at our health statistics...millions of people suffering from nutrition deficient illnesses. Heart trouble, cancers, obesity and diabetes. It ain't rocket science.

It's up to each individual to keep their nutrition level up, and this means eating properly and using supplements.

·
Registered
Nissan
2,879 Posts
Depends on how much money you want to spend on changing the colour of your pee because that is about the only noticeable effect that most of these so called health supplements will have.:p

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
JohnH. Your Grandfather did well. He lived in a time when our food was not as poor and lacking in vital nutrients as it is now. That would have built his immune system.

I have uncles who lived well into their nineties. They grew up in Orkney, ate plenty of fish and naturally grown vegetables. We do not have the same food today. There is not much organic stuff available. Most farmers use NPK (nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus) makes the plants grow OK but they lack all the other vital elements.

Look at our health statistics...millions of people suffering from nutrition deficient illnesses. Heart trouble, cancers, obesity and diabetes. It ain't rocket science.

It's up to each individual to keep their nutrition level up, and this means eating properly and using supplements.
Yes I see your point, but it is also our dependance on such highly processed foods that is a huge part of our health and nutrition problems. The shorter the path from fresh food to your mouth the better nutritional value it will have.

But these days, it is such a hard job to get really freh food or grow it yourself which is afterall what most of the people that have lived to over 100 have done for a large part of their early life.

Even your vitamin suppliments are highly processed foods which unfortunately have lost some of their value, but still better than not taking them I guess.

·
Registered
nissan
1,422 Posts
Depends on how much money you want to spend on changing the colour of your pee because that is about the only noticeable effect that most of these so called health supplements will have.:p
I like to drink berocca for this very reason makes your piss turn bright yellow. Shat myself when I first used it thought I had me one of them STD. Also a great hangover cure I reckon.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Spirulina??????

Question.Do you know what they call alternative medecines that have been proven to work? Answer.Medecine!!
Spirulina is a high presure sales item, I am not saying that it has zero posetive effect as I do not believe that scientific studies have been concusively done on that product. But I can tell you that 15 years ago when I was wanting a job whilst travelling I answered an ad in the paper for 'Sales Rep' and got invited to this meeting.I didn't stay too ong but I can tell you that it was very much a form of Pyramid sales, whereby the person that introdces me to the group gets a percentage of my profit and the person that intoduced them gets a share of their profit.

I am not sure if pyramid sales is still legal in Australia but it is deffinately un-ethical in my opinion.

Most products that use this method of sales are not as good as the hype given out by the sales person. And I think this is down to them having a vested interest in selling the product.

It is my opinion that this thread should be deleted for the above reasons.

If you want to take suppliments then that is up to you but I recon you have been fed the sales parafinalia and belived it.

All the above is only my opinion.

End Rant!!

Cheers Gordo'

·
Registered
nissan
539 Posts
I would give this a second thought if I saw a peer reviewed journal that showed any benefit to otherwise healthy subjects.

As yet I have never seen such evidence. Second thought will be spent on trying to get my indicators working instead...

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chef. Google 'clinical trial spirulina.'

I have a friend who is a Professor (M.D.) and have discussed it with him. It's good stuff.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very good point bamr33. They are another tool in the arsenal and not unlike 'faith.'

·
Registered
nissan
539 Posts
they work very well!

I have a lot of friends who are MDs. Infact, I see one of them every day when I look in the mirror...

Show me the evidence (with the conditions from my last post) and I will start considering it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I've googled it!!

In the top few in a google search I have found words such as ' research fruad','Inconsistant Results', and ' Isufficient Clinical Data '.

There is also results that indicate that it is not an unhealthy option.

I did the google search that you told us to and even this does not prove your case ( nor, in my opinion, indicate that you are correct ).

If you want to eat healthily, nothing would beat chemical free ( organic if you like ), home grown foods, and if it makes you feel good then take spirulina aswell.

May I ask, Estcove, Do you sell the stuff?

Cheers Gordo'

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gordo...no mate, I don't sell it. I'd sooner sell bootleg rum or whisky. At least I know how to make that.

Shyte! What a bloody good idea! Hadn't even thought about it. I could make cigarettes too. Stuff the health business and stuff offering good advice...make a buck instead!

You are a genius.

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
f(ck if i wanted to listen to someone babble on about how we need nutrients i'd watch some TV adverts.
but still for now MUTE

·
Registered
636 Posts
Sorry but

Try this chef: Spirulina

This is exactly what I am talking about, it is one sided sales bumph, what it is not is a research paper that shows conclusively the benefits that you claim. All of the references that it sites could well be taken out of context and are incomplete without their original complete papers. You only have to read the first lines to know what the result of the finding is going to be in the info that you have given.

Would you like to take a natural plant supplement that provides one serving of protein without the saturated fat content of ½ lb of meat, is easily digestible and provides practically all the vitamins and minerals you need daily?

Hardly unbias scientific research is it??
Come on, wake up to the real world

Gordo'

1 - 20 of 45 Posts