Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone is using any of the portable VMS GPS units?

Looking at the 500s or possibly new 600.

Just after pros and cons of those who have one maybe.

Thanks in advance

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
How much are the units? You can by a iPhone and the VMS app for $719 + $199 and have much more than just a GPS with you.

·
Registered
nissan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unit is about $799 I think. If have to get I phone, need cradle for window + programme. Unit is cheaper.

·
Registered
NISSAN
495 Posts
Dig options

have alook at these, Perform like VMS( I think heaps better had both) 1/3 the price,but you get twin GPS (i.e Urban and 4x4 Ozi Exployer) dvd ipod, bluetooth, reverve cam ect... for around $500 + Australia wide Hemma Maps Great option but not portable

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
have alook at these, Perform like VMS( I think heaps better had both) 1/3 the price,but you get twin GPS (i.e Urban and 4x4 Ozi Exployer) dvd ipod, bluetooth, reverve cam ect... for around $500 + Australia wide Hemma Maps Great option but not portable
Where can you buy these unit?

·
Registered
NISSAN
495 Posts
Where can you buy these unit?
Dig Options in Melbourne have them. Go to his Ebay store on
URL eBay Australia Shop - DIG Options: Integrated Navigation Systems, Digital TV Receivers DVB-T

It better to email him and talk to him over the phone than purchase on line. Tell him your from the forum and you have been speaking to me. He will give you a better discount as is very helpfull.
There are a few members on here now that have them and are very happy like me.

I have added to my system now( not from Dig Opions) and got my IT geek mate to set up a portable In car/ In home Digital media player that stores 640Gig of movies and plays them in any format.:p Dont buy the Digital TV( they work ok) unless you really need it. if I had my time again I would just get the portable Digital media player for movies as storage is huge( 500+ movies) and you can take it into motel rooms, use it at home or car more versatile I think.
Hope this helps
PM me if you need more help

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
I like the unit above but I love the stock Nissan unit. I use a marine Navman with external mushroom.

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,717 Posts
Hey GU,

What's the sound quality and radio reception like on these units from DigOptions?
Can you see the screen from the drivers seat, and what's the visibility like in daylight?
It looks like it fits neatly into your dash. Do you have any gaps between the unit and the fascia panel? Does it do everything you expected? Any down-sides.....?

How did you get the unit to recognise the 640Gb media player? Much tweaking involved?

I've tried another all-in-one Chinese unit. It claimed to have 50Wx4, but it wouldn't have been 5W, and sounded much worse than the original Series 1 head unit. The radio reception was crap, the screen was very hard to see in daylight and it wouldn't recognise my iPod Classic. I sent it back. They were very good to deal with.......

Cheers,
Geoff

·
Registered
nissan patrol Gu6
1,275 Posts
Tapes

I like the unit above but I love the stock Nissan unit. I use a marine Navman with external mushroom.
Does the Phillipines still have tapes to go in their tape decks? You love the standard nissan stereo????

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Does the Phillipines still have tapes to go in their tape decks? You love the standard nissan stereo????
Yes the Philippines has two version. The Super Safari model with the orange display (Clarion) with the CD player. The other version is the Tape deck model with CD player. I like everything Standard. I dont know why I just do.

Nissan here are now removing the Standard head unit and putting this kind of media player as standard.

·
Registered
NISSAN
495 Posts
Hey GU,

What's the sound quality and radio reception like on these units from DigOptions?
Can you see the screen from the drivers seat, and what's the visibility like in daylight?
It looks like it fits neatly into your dash. Do you have any gaps between the unit and the fascia panel? Does it do everything you expected? Any down-sides.....?

How did you get the unit to recognise the 640Gb media player? Much tweaking involved?

I've tried another all-in-one Chinese unit. It claimed to have 50Wx4, but it wouldn't have been 5W, and sounded much worse than the original Series 1 head unit. The radio reception was crap, the screen was very hard to see in daylight and it wouldn't recognise my iPod Classic. I sent it back. They were very good to deal with.......

Cheers,
Geoff
SOund is beter than the sony I had in it and reception is spot on even am.
Yep no worries at all and I have still got the original clear plastic cover over mine so it would be better if I take it off.
It looks like it fits neatly into your dash. Do you have any gaps between the unit and the fascia panel?
Yes I have a small gap at the bottom about 5mm. I could have moved the unit around more but was happy to leave it.

Does it do everything you expected? Yes

Any down-sides.....? The unit could be more polished in its functions and I wouldnt by the digital Tv( it's Ok though) , now that I have got the 640Gig media player. Also when I am talking with the bluetooth if I get another call.. "Call waiting" it doesnt like it and I loose the connection. It could be just me though. Had to ugrade the 4gig Micro Sd card to 8Gig to fit all the hemma maps. But would work great if didnt get all the maps.

How did you get the unit to recognise the 640Gb media player? Much tweaking involved?No my geek mate set it up and i can replicate it to plug and play now. The unit runs windowsCE6.0 so very user freindly and my Ipod works awsome, but no video through that. need to got through the other options ( e.i USB or 16Gig MicroSD)

You are more than welcome to see my unit I think I saw you are in Werribee. PM me Im only 20min from you
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
nissan
517 Posts
VMS unit? Back to lockndirty's question, has anyone used one of these? What are the maps like? are they 50:1, 100:1, 200:1? Userbility? Durability? Can they interface to a laptop?

·
Registered
nissan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just bit the bullet and bought the 500s. Can't tell you what it is like yet as it is charging.

I will try and use it at work for the next few days to get used to it and have a play. From what I have seen so far seems like quite a sturdy unit. Kinda heavy. Not sure what others are like.

I know some one with the older smaller one (430 I think) and he reckons it's really good, quite user friendly.

They come with OziExplorer demo version, need an activation key to work it properly so guess they can interface with a laptop. Come to think of it I'm pretty sure I saw a computer cable in the box. I will look tonight and let you know.

See how it goes over the next few days and I will post my thoughts.

·
Registered
205 Posts
VMS unit? Back to lockndirty's question, has anyone used one of these? What are the maps like? are they 50:1, 100:1, 200:1? Userbility? Durability? Can they interface to a laptop?
I've got one and they are fantastic. They have vector driven street navigation for city navigation and they also run Oziexplorer and Memory Map so for off roading, you can use what ever maps you want to.

They are dead simple to use and I haven't had any hassles yet with it.

·
Registered
892 Posts
If you are interested in a VMS unit - look up Flyaudio, they are chinese manufacturer and will sell direct at around half price
No back etc but thats the risk you take

1 - 15 of 15 Posts