Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
301 - 320 of 322 Posts

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,450 Posts
The Android app only allows to modify the turbo MAP at the moment, not the other parameters, which, in principle, don't need to be changed once set.
I would prefer to keep it that way as inexperienced guys could make mistakes when setting other parameters with their phone, and get rapidly lost ( talk to John...).
Phil makes a goods point here, when using PC/Laptop and changing your MAP settings (Absolute BOOST / PWM%) be mindful of where the cursor is (<>) as it is easy to drop down into the lower area (MAF settings or MAP limits) and inadvertently make an unwanted change - on "L plates".
Good idea to carry a hard copy of a previous MB parameter settings when out on the road as it can be a handy reference when making changes.

BTW, I have never used a phone (Android app) to make changes to turbo MAP. Bought a dedicated laptop HP series 11 ($330 from Officeworks-Feb 21), small compact good bit of kit and take it with me for every drive.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Thanks guys,
yes OK looks like I'm due for a laptop upgrade anyway. This one has got to the stage where none of it's software is supported anyway and it has issues with USB port allocation and numbering changes every time it connects to anything new it seems to block some USB ports. So I don't need it to be another source of frustration that will distract from getting the MB set up.

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,450 Posts
@geordie4x4 TRY THIS - undo your MB (remove lid) and check if your computer is suitable by connecting the MB up to any 12volt DC pwr supply using the supplied 2A in-line fuse (connect to the 12V +ve/-ve terminal of MB). Use your laptop along side and attempt to pair BT device_follow MB install instruction guide. BT shunt should be in place(loop wire).

Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Gadget Electronic engineering

Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Parallel

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,098 Posts
A bit of a red-faced update... :rolleyes:

1. As I said before, I got the MB software to work perfectly fine on my 64-bit desktop PC and with Phil's help I also got it to run on one of my two old 32-bit laptops. As a side note, I didn't need to install java on the desktop running Win10. MB runs perfectly fine without it, but I did need it for 32-bit Win10. I also tried to get it running on my other 32-bit Toughbook, but that is still on WinXP and sofar I haven't been able to get an older version of java that is compatible with XP, and capable of running the MB software.

I also have my work laptop which is obviously relatively new and up to date, but I don't have admin rights on it so I didn't even bother trying, but then I had a brainwave... If I don't need to install java, and the MB .exe file doesn't require installation, so I gave it a try. Long story short, it runs great on my 64-bit Win10 work laptop, so now I have multiple options to choose from... :giggle:

2. I was on my way to Jaycar on Saturday morning to go buy some resistors for the VACSOL plug when I had another brainwave... I started digging through my electronics parts bin and found a pack of 300 0.5W resistors ranging from 10ohm all the way up to 1Mohm. I bought it probably 3 years ago and completely forgot about it, so that's that sorted... :giggle:

3. When I took the IC off to pull the harness out, I noticed that my holder bracket that I 3D printed for my boost sensor had a crack in it. I suspect it's due to engine vibration, so I needed to come up with a different fix for that. I'll put that up in a different thread once I have that fixed, but at the moment I have to get that sorted before I can get the car back on the road.

Luckily I'm not under any time pressure to get this installation done... :sneaky:

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 ·
I like people with brains ! Well done Andrie. A 1k, 0.5W should be fine to make your ECM believe it is still in control of the Solenoid (not needed for 3.0Di).

The reason why you do not need the java machine installed for 64 bits is because jave is "embeded" in the .exe (hence the big size). Why did I need to "embed" it with the 64 bits version ? it is due to a bug between the processing-generated software (open source from the processing.org foundation) and the 64 bits java machine.

On my MAC, the processing environment allows to generate an app for both Windows and MAC-OS, but does not allow to "embed" java for windows (normal since java for windows is not installed on the MAC). However, it can generate a ".exe" for windows (64 or 32 bits, but without java being embeded, and therefore requires to have java installed to run). It is what I did. And since the java machine "bug" does not exist on the 32 bits java version, it is the reason why it worked !

There is always a sound explanation to everything. And laws of physics apply to everybody !
And no, the MB software does not need admin rights since it only makes use of what is available.
Thank you for making the 32 bits test. It might help others who would like to use older laptop. However, older machines will not run as fast when replaying files in "accelerated" mode.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
@geordie4x4 TRY THIS - undo your MB (remove lid) and check if your computer is suitable by connecting the MB up to any 12volt DC pwr supply using the supplied 2A in-line fuse (connect to the 12V +ve/-ve terminal of MB). Use your laptop along side and attempt to pair BT device_follow MB install instruction guide. BT shunt should be in place(loop wire).
I just realized my old laptop doesn't have Bluetooth. I might try a plug-in USB BT thing if I can find one to suit but this laptop is pretty useless, it's running Windows 8 which constantly reassigns USB ports and has problems running anything that's not a Windows device.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,098 Posts
I just realized my old laptop doesn't have Bluetooth. I might try a plug-in USB BT thing if I can find one to suit but this laptop is pretty useless, it's running Windows 8 which constantly reassigns USB ports and has problems running anything that's not a Windows device.
Neither my 32-bit laptop nor my 64-bit desktop PC has bluetooth. I bought a little USB BT device from Officeworks a few years ago and it works perfectly fine with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Win10.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #310 ·
Java version 8 update 51 is compatible with (minimum) Windows Vista
Java version 7 update 80 32 bits runs on Windows XP.
I am not sure spending the time to get an old XP-machine, install an old version of Processing which might not be able to compile the MB software without mods is worth it for a few users only as it would create another stream of versions.

Nevertheless, you may try to download the "latest" 32 bits version of the java machine which still runs on XP, namely
jdk-7u80-windows-i586.exe
here : https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/javase/javase7-archive-downloads.html#license-lightbox
and try and run the 32 bits MB software version without java embeded I provided.
I doubt it will work, but you will not know if you don't try.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,098 Posts
Java version 8 update 51 is compatible with (minimum) Windows Vista
Java version 7 update 80 32 bits runs on Windows XP.
I am not sure spending the time to get an old XP-machine, install an old version of Processing which might not be able to compile the MB software without mods is worth it for a few users only as it would create another stream of versions.

Nevertheless, you may try to download the "latest" 32 bits version of the java machine which still runs on XP, namely
jdk-7u80-windows-i586.exe
here : https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/javase/javase7-archive-downloads.html#license-lightbox
and try and run the 32 bits MB software version without java embeded I provided.
I doubt it will work, but you will not know if you don't try.
I tried it just to check, in case someone else has the same idea. The 32-bit java installation (7u80) installed fine in XP but I cannot run the MB software. I get the error "This application requires a Java Runtime Environment 1.8.0_74".

Phil, I don't think we need to worry about this anymore. I think having 64-bit and 32-bit versions that run in Win10 is sufficient. (y)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 · (Edited)
the 32 bits version, once you have installed the latest 32 bits java machine. make sure you uninstall any other version first.
I’ll send you by email the windows 32bits MB setting software.
If you have any problem, PM me.
according to the error message Trev got, you will need to have at least java version 8 update 74 installed.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi all, it's been a good read so far on all that i've missed, and in reading back it looks like i've missed a few key pieces of information along the lines somewhere.

U is for >TPS-T
N is for <TPS-T

Will be doing same as always in the past have been setting TPS threshold +0.2 volts (nominal) > min TPS volts. We can only change by 0.1volt increments(CRD).
Will try TPS2-T @ 0.4v _min TPS2 (pedal up) is 0.35v.

Sorry for not responding to previous post mate wiil do it (was a bit tied up with medical stuff)
Y is to > Boost -T
V is to < Boost-T
Does anyone have a hand cheat-sheet of all the key combinations used in the PC software to set the various parameters?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #316 ·
Hi Josh, there are only a few 'hidden keys' :

'U'
TPS_Threshold +
'N'
TPS_Threshold -

'Y'
MAP_Threshold +
'V'
MAP_Threshold -

'M' to toggle displays from PSI to mBar

'P' to toggle displays from mBar to PSI

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,098 Posts
Hi Josh, there are only a few 'hidden keys' :

'U'
TPS_Threshold +
'N'
TPS_Threshold -

'Y'
MAP_Threshold +
'V'
MAP_Threshold -

'M' to toggle displays from PSI to mBar

'P' to toggle displays from mBar to PSI
Phil, I'm not sure if it was intentional, but it might be worth mentioning that you should have CAPS LOCK on when using the software. I was pressing 'm' instead of 'M' for quite a while getting frustrated trying to figure out why I can't change the units from PSI to mbar. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Phil, I'm not sure if it was intentional, but it might be worth mentioning that you should have CAPS LOCK on when using the software. I was pressing 'm' instead of 'M' for quite a while getting frustrated trying to figure out why I can't change the units from PSI to mbar. :ROFLMAO:
thanks for pointing that out, i'm embarrassed at how long it took me to realise that = and + are not the same key press. i felt so dumb when i realised.

301 - 320 of 322 Posts