Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
601 - 618 of 618 Posts

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #601 ·
Well, it is not the "lower boost" as such which contributes to a better eco.
But when the vanes are kept closed most of the time, your turbo is not in its efficiency zone on one hand, and you spend energy fighting the un-necessary back pressure created by the turbo vanes themselves.
when cruising on a flat road, vanes have to be not far from mid-open, not kept closed. And you don't need much power to keep your speed ( hence no need for boost nor big TPS voltage, but just enough airflow, added to the right quantity of fuel to get the power required to maintain your speed).
Boost is not always your friend. The right airflow is.

·
Registered
2011 crd wagon
91 Posts
I have hit bit of a wall with the magic box . i am running windows 10 on my laptop all software up to date .
I downloaded the software , extracted the files , powered up the MB , paired up the device with the laptop and downloaded java and installed it . it seemed to be trying to connect to com ports 3 & 4 and that's where i am stuck . when i click on the MB setting and control file i get a black screen pictured below . no key operations do anything except exit .
Light Font Material property Electric blue Publication

when i click on a replay file i get a screen that shows gauges but nothing happens ,and no key do anything except change the replay speed from fast to normal , but there is no replay.
i have looked every where but i cannot find some things as Phil has mentioned to me such as changing the
' Phdv61,txt'. ' line. but when i look at bluetooth in the device manager , it lists Phdv61 BT there , and says it is working .
Font Rectangle Parallel Technology Pattern

when i look in the com4 port section it says that it is working , and it lists the time and date that the MB connection was made , this is the time i installed the software .
Font Line Handwriting Display device Parallel

in the general section of the com4 dialogue box it says the device is working properly .
Phil mentioned that after downloading java to find and click on the ' java, exe. ' file but i can not find it . after downloading java i clicked on the install button and it seemed to set itself up . i think it just works in the back ground and can find no obvious command to open it . just while i have been writing this i had a recollection that maybe an older version of java is required perhaps ?
sorry for the long post peoples . all input very much appreciated . thankyou . Ray .

PS; sorry about the big photo's . i will try to work out how to make them smaller for the future .

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #603 ·
Hi Ray,
You need to go to the bluetooth peripherals, and check which port number has been "associated" or attached to the PHDV61-BT device. Do you have any other bluetooth device in use on your PC ?

do you have an Android Smartphone or Tablet you may use to test the BT connection ?
Phil.

·
Registered
2011 crd wagon
91 Posts
Hi Phil . there is no peripherals section that i can find , just a device manager section as in the photo's , although i think i can remember it being in older versions of windows . all i can find seems to be as in the pictures in my previous post . com4 port seems to be attached as far as i can tell . i have a phone , tv and tablet that i can connect to the laptop with no issues .

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #605 ·
I will try and use my wife's laptop running windows 10 today, and will come back to you.
If you have an Android smartphone, you could install the .apk file (android app) I sent you, activate BT and "pair" your smartphone with Magic box.
Do you stil have the 'shunt' between +5V and BT pins ?

·
Registered
2011 crd wagon
91 Posts
Wooo Hooo , just had a win . installed the phone app , it took about 8 attempts before it paired up . but it did , the app opened and the gauge display was shown with the needles moving . i was able to move between sections using the buttons at the top .

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #608 · (Edited)
Ok It means Magic box BT is working
I might have found the issue you were facing.
You have COM3 and COM4 in your COM list of ports.
It happened to me too : was not working with COM4, but it did with COM3.

Go and edit the PHDV61-VNT.txt file, in the /data directory.
replace 4 by 3.
save, and start the setting sw.

Let me know how it goes.
cheers
Phil.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,689 Posts
Ok te means Magic box BT is working
I might have found the issue you were facing.
You have COM3 and COM4 in your COM list of ports.
It happened to me too : was not working with COM4, but it did with COM3.

Go and edit the PHDV61-VNT.txt file, in the /data directory.
replace 4 by 3.
save, and start the setting sw.

Let me know how it goes.
cheers
Phil.
I had a similar issue when I first connected my MB. I just kept modifying the text file trying different COM ports until I found one that worked.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #610 ·
Thanks Andriek.
also, Ray, make sure you have "COMx" on a single line.
When I edited the file on my Wife's PC, all was on one line with no CR,LF ( carriage return, Line feed) on the screen. The mysteries of Bill Gates and Windows versions probably.

You'll get there, like all of us.

·
Registered
2011 crd wagon
91 Posts
Hi Phil . i think i might have found the problem . in the photo below you can see the where i have downloaded the files that you sent me . if i click on the top ' data ' file it opens as the next photo shows .
Grille Line Mesh Gas Tints and shades

if you double click on the ' Phvd61-VNT ' line highlighted in blue the screen will show as in the next photo
Rectangle Plant Font Gadget Display device

i am not sure , but i think that the text screen in the photo below is the MB software instruction on which connection to use to communicate with the MB . i think that this screen should read only ' COM4 ' . BUT herein lies the problem . i can only modify this text to read com4 in a copy , but that did not work as i think the software only takes instructions from the original . if i try to change the original that you sent me , a dialogue box opens and says that i do not have administration rights . I have administration rights on my laptop , so , i think it is the software that is preventing me from changing the original text . the only way around this that i can see is if you can turn off the administration requirements and resend me the software and i will delete what i have now and install the new software and try that . if you can not turn off the administration rights , can you just delete all the text that is in the file below , except for COM4 , and send me the software package . and i will install that . Thanks Phil . I will go and have a lie down now , my brain hurts .
Window Shade Font Gas Tints and shades

; edited for clarification .

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,832 Posts
Ray, I recall you should be able to click in the Notepad text window and edit COM port #.

Just did it myself, amazing I remembered where it was. Hope this directory screenshot helps.

Though does look like what you did?

Product Rectangle Font Software Line

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,832 Posts
@nipagu72
Check, Did you enter correct 4 digit code from your MB

Install Instruction extract
"You now need to connect your PC to the MAGIC BOX, the same way you connect to other BT devices. Search for a new BT device, and then enter the 4 digits code sticker you’ll find on the MAGIC BOX itself."

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #614 · (Edited)
Hi Ray,
when you unzip the file, you should have only one directory (I did this on the desktop for clarity)
Vertebrate Water Felidae Mesh Whiskers

When you click on the directory created, you get this :
Hood Grille Mesh Wood Line

if you go inside the data directory, you get what John showed in his post above.
Then you double click on the Phdv61_VNT.txt file, and replace COM4 by COM3, then save.
Mesh Wood Wall Water Material property

It should work. When you have admin rights, you can modify any file with windows.
Phil.

EDIT :
  • in your case, I believe you need to have COM3 in the file, not COM4.
  • you should remove all other files that appear besides the MB_WIn64_PSI directory, which should not be there ( may be due to successive attempts to install in different places ?).

Attached is the modified file :

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 crd wagon
91 Posts
hi bidja . i think i have the same as you but with COM4 , so i will try COM3 . then i will try what Phil wrote after i investigate this admin rights thing as it has me a bit confused . Thanks Phil & Bidja

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #616 ·
In fact, it appears that Windows associates 2 port Comms when pairing the PC with MB ( in this instance, COM3 and COM4 ). And like on my windows PC, it seems that with the latest updates of all bits and pieces that happen in your "back" without you knowing, what was previously working with "COM4" now requires "COM3". Don't ask me why. I honestly don't know.
I hope it will work out fine with you too.
There is always a solution to most problems.

Others running Mac-OS also discovered a few issues from "Monterey" onwards, for which we found a work-around too.

·
Registered
2011 crd wagon
91 Posts
Ok , i was banging away at until midnight with no luck . i decided to delete all trace of the MB software , shut the laptop down , then start it up , and down load the software again ( i'd done this over a dozen times trying different things ) and call it quits for the night . But , when down loading , it did so slightly differently and a lot quicker . i already had com3 enabled and com 4 disabled , as soon as the program had extracted i opened the the data file to change the Phvd1,text file and i saw that instead of a list of files , there was a number of thumb nail size gauges and the Phvd1, text file was shown as a file icon . i opened the file deleted everything and put in ' COM3 ' closed the file , opened the replay program and it ran . i went to the garage , powered up the MB and opened the main program and all the gauges displayed and moved . i open and closed it about 3 times and all good . i then closed the program and reactivated com4 , to see if it would cause a conflict i then shut the laptop down , restarted it and opened and ran the programs about 5 times each with no problem.
so basically i am none the wiser on why it just did not work the first time !!!!! hardware i am ok on , software not so much. I am not a believer in supernatural things , but computer software sometimes makes me wonder Phil. It's a bit frustrating i could not find solid cause that could then help those that follow .
But . it is what it is . The software is up and running , time to move on to the next phase of the installation , but not for a couple of days as i have a few other things i need to do . much appreciate the help guys .

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #618 · (Edited)
You are welcome. Everyone can't be proficient with everything. And sometimes, with computers and their O/S, there are some strange things happening. A clean install is sometimes the solution.

If you have now specified 'COM3' in the COM parameter file to be used for serial transmission through BT, it will use COM3 whatever you do next with COM4... Windows keep track of which port was associated previously, and re-use it automatically when it sees the same BT interface (PHDV61-BT here) coming up.

Play a bit with the replay softwares, to get used a bit more with the data displayed. You can run them with the listener example file. Have fun !

601 - 618 of 618 Posts